Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
going after pike in redmond utah
I just got back from two days of fishing down at redmond lake for pike and saw that xman on a post wanted to know where to get some. Redmond has a good pop of pike most are small for pike around 14 to 18, but there are some big ones to. it's a smaller lake but you still can get a same to mid size boat on it. fishing can be great if you find the right lure to use or there is my old stand by a minnow on a balloon. (ancovys work the best).hope this helps. oh P.S. It's a great lake to fisk with a tube.
[signature]
I was thinking of suggesting redmond to him, but I only tried to find the lake once and I'm not sure that we found it. This was about 10 years ago. We fished all day and didn't get a nibble. We ended up carp hunting in the shallows to the Northwest end. The lake/pond we went on was just above the town. You couldn't even see it until you were there. If I remember, there was a sandbar or island that ran through the middle about 1/2 or 2/3 across. Were we at the right place? I've heard that they are smaller, but have good numbers. I wouldn't mind coming back, if I knew where I was going.
[signature]
You'll know it when you get there of U-28 past Yuba's painted rock, further south like 20 minutes or so, you will see a big rock dome kinda reminscent of the movie, Close Encounter of the 3rd kind...

The town is in front of the rock, you go around the base of the rock, and reservior is right there. Feburary is the best time to target pike there for some reason.
[signature]
Thanks WP. Maybe I'll have to try again. I think I was at the right place. I remember leaving town, going uphill with a little right bend, then swinging around the hill to the left, and if you miss the turn to the right, your in the lake.
[signature]
For pike you may want to try the Yampa River just this side of Craig Colorado. It has good numbers of large fish and you don't need a permit to float that section. It's not as far as it sounds. Anywhere from Maybell to Craig.

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]
hey dude if you want to catch pike at redmond or yuba (note yuba has bigger pike than redmond) there are alot in the sevier river to between redmond and yuba as well.. but redmond as some big bass as well as the pike and they are caught around the same places.. try krocodile's of every colors tell you find the one they want or a red and white dardevle with a gold back(not silver) i have done well with repala fat rap's there to and have done well with blue fox #5 vibrex gold or black.. i am thinking on going down some time in the next week's and see if the bass are on there bed's yet.. the lake is on hot springs so it dont frezz and the bass stay active all year now is a good time for geting bass a pike there....

from the fuzzyfisher-------------------------fish on dudes
[signature]
thanks for the info. i heard about redmond last year for pike. small but plentiful with a few bigger ones. isnt redmond just outside of axtell? thanks again for the info guys i think i might head down that way once this year if i can fit it in. oh can you use anchovies on the lake? i really have no idea what to use for pike. i figured lures of some sorts.
[signature]
hay xman yeah you can use anchovies or any other bait fish.. smelt works good to..but if you dont mind working for the fish there are alot of lures that work well i would start with a krockodile and go from there.. i have learned how to ues top water and jerk bait in the past years but have not had a chance to try it down there.. it's worth a try

from the fuzzyfisher---------------------fish on dudes
[signature]
Would I have any problems launching my 18' Starcraft (aluminum) boat at Redmond? Also, how sensitive are pike to foul weather (considering going down there on Thursday of this week)?
[signature]
One thing before you get on Redmond,alittle info on the lake.

There is an island in the middle,on the East side it is very shallow,there is a channel on the west side of it,and heads south about 75 yds of the west side,it goes down to 1 seprate island near the south end,alot of hazards on this lake so dont be flying,it may cost some money to get the outboard fixed.most of the North west end is deeper,you dont need a boat on this lake,walk the dike on the east side,cast parallel to the shore,lure of choice is a gold & black J13 Brocken Back rapala,white and char buzz baits and spinner baits for the bass,you will catch a few pike with them too.

Tight Lines

Tony[cool]
[signature]