Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bass report for 2007 (so far)
Let me begin this fishing report by saying this has been my wife and my best bass season ever.
Because it has been a while and i have a lot to report and i don't have the time to go through it all, I will just go through the highlites.

last year early post-spawn my wife and I caught 14 bass in 6 hrs, with an average weight of 1.2 pounds. This year we get out on the lake one morning (our favourite secret lake) and I choose a patch of lillies growing in 4' of water as my battle ground, armed with Terminator spinner baits, shad skirts and twin silver willow blades. Water visibility was about three feet. The wifey was right behind me fishing the same pattern.
After a few dozen rips through the 'pads, a a hog picked a fight with me which i promptly lost when he leapt for the sky and tossed my spinnerbait.
I ripped a few more but without result.
No sooner had wifey's spinnerbait hit the water and she had fish-on. She lipped a nice 3lb pig before releasing him on his way. on her VERY NEXT cast - low! Another pig!!
An hour later she had a tally of three to my nada. i was beginning to wonder if I was going to get bass-skunked. However, I figured I had the basic pattern figured, it just needed a tweaking. A junebug salamander as a trailer seemed a good choice and thank the fish gods, it was. Within 3 hrs I had taken 8 bass.
Wifey's hawg luck had turned to stone and sunk on her, so she geared up for pan fish - which she promptly began nailing with almost every cast. Crappie, sunnies, perch and pickerel all fell victim to her small in-line spinner.
When she saw how the bass were literally fighting to get onto my spinner, she rigged one rod back to hawg gear with a set-up similar to mine and wam! wam!
My arms were so tired from all the pitching and casting, I decided to rest and let the breeze blow me back toward the put-in.
We evn got tired of taking photos.
Nicole was also getting tired, but i urged her to continue in the hopes of breaking our bass-catch record.
Within another hour we had broken the record by two - sixteen bass in about 7 hours.
We were almost back at the put-in when I noticed the merging of three types of aquatic plants close to the bank where I knew it dropped suddenly from 2' of water to 5'. i had taken bass there before, so i figured i'd have one last toss and pow! the biggest bass of the day. A spawned-out female at 5lb 2oz, 21" long.
So the final tally was 17 pigs and the weight average was 2lb 4oz.

But the best for last. This was the year I got my biggest bass ever, and probably the biggest i will get for a long time to come - 13lb 1oz!! Yeah babyyy!!!
It was only one of two i got about five weekends ago.
Man-o-man ... what a season! And it ain't over.[cool]

[Image: sunny.jpg]
Nicole's sunny.

[Image: smallpiggy.jpg]
Ain't he cute?

[Image: piglett.jpg]
Piglett came to say hi.

[Image: hawg2.jpg]
nice hawg

[Image: hawg.jpg]
Last and biggest Hawg of the day.

And finally, my NESSIE[cool]
[Image: 13lb1oz_lochness.jpg]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Absolutely great. Good story and good pics. That Nessie is a toad. Are you sure that is not a Florida fish? Or are you just holding a 3 pounder way out for the picture?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
LOL Pat.
No she was definately a NY bass, I recognized the Statten Island accent[Tongue]

She climbed into the ring with me when I was hopping a frog across a 'pad patch and went straight down. Not one jump, she simply pulled my tube in circles.
I couldn't believe my eyes when i finally got a glimpse of her, and when I lipped her to get her high and dry it seemed I could shove my entire fist down her maw up to my elbow.
She weighed 13lb 1oz on my Rapala spring scale but her measurement was a bit of a guess as I did not have my stripping apron with me and the measuring tape on the scale was broken. But perhaps 24" ? Not sure.

That little lake is a bass mine. i have pulled two 7lb'ers from it, a six and plenty in the 5lb range. The most common weight is in the upper 2lb's. We have never been skunked there once yet (YET[crazy]).
Even the pickerel in there are monsters, averaging 17".
The thing about it is to get to it you have to hike in about a mile through the forest (which is beautiful and teeming with wildlife) and most people are lazy, apparently.
Shore angling is an undertaking. There are only perhaps a dozen small spots you can fish from and half of those you have to bush crash to get to.
So unless you have a floating means to get around and willing to hoof it (and play bug breakfast) in with a tube or toon, the chances of you being able to land a lure in the right spot are very slim.
But osprey, bald eagles, hawks and kestrels swoop the skies while pilliated woodpeckers drum out a staccato beat from the treeline and otters backstroke by with shelled morsels on their tummies.
I believe it is one of the very few largely undisturbed peices of paradise left in NY, and may fortune keep it that way.

-ABT
[signature]
That is a nice round of "Git Er Done". Way to go and nice use of the Tube.[cool]
[signature]
Very nice BA. That is a sweet little pond and pretty also. I would love to go camping on a lake like that where I could fish for Bass all day.
[signature]
Yep. Nicole and I (somewhat selfishly) regard it as our own private peice of paradise. One out of ten times we might see another fisherman there fishing from the bank or once we saw four Asian guys crammed into what seemed like a kiddie's inflatable boat. I should have had Nicole get a pic of it ... it was quite amusing.

-ABT
[signature]