Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Rod on the block
I posted this on the General Fly Fishing, but I wanted to bounce it off the Utah people. No we don't have Steelhead here, but these rods would be awesome anywhere and for any fish.
I first off wanna tell every one that Netflix has a great video introducing SPEY CASTING if you can get by the gals voice (fingernails down a chalkboard)
Anyway, I have been interested in spey or two handed fish for quite some time. I have mention a switch rod which is basically a spey.
Tonight I had the pleasure of meeting Dec Hogan author of "Passion For Steelhead" and a master of Spey. He is also helping the new rod company by Raejeff (Cool rods by the way) come out with a SPEY line. He had several proto Echo's there, so I got to play around with a 13'+ 4wt and a 13+' 7wt. Got the Roll down and the Basic "D" cast and had a blast.
These things require very little energy to cast once you get both hands in the right place and the fly in the ANCHOR ZONE.
I was picking 70+' of line off the water and recasting with unbelievable accuracy.
Now the ECHO 2 comes with two tips. One for accuracy and one for distance (or big flie/wind) for around $300.
I asked Dec if the spey would have two tips. He said no at this time, but he liked the idea. Not for two different actions, but rather a spare for the Steelheaders.

Based on how easy these are to cast, and how pin point accuracy can be achieved, I am sitting on pins and needles waiting for them to be introduced to the public.
A 13+' 6wt would be awesome.
[signature]
I've always wondered why someone would want to have a two-handed spey rod for trout on smaller waters (especially ones in Utah). Being that you've been interested in this for a while, what are the advantages of having a spey rod for "anywhere and any fish"?

thanks for the advice...
[signature]
[black][size 3]the spey casting rods were developed for a very specific purpose. In the Northwest, where the rivers are wide, and the fish large (steelhead, etc.) they make presentation much easier than trying to wade in deep water. Plus, they don't require a clear field for your back cast.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]But your right, a 100 foot cast doesn't make much sense on a river/stream only 30 feet wide.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]If you have ever seen anyone with good skills, cast with a spey rod, it's a thing of beauty.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
Our rivers,.....not so much, specially a 13 1/2 footer. I do know I love my 10' on the Provo. It gives me a chance to work on other ways to cast and mending is a BREEZE.
I am thinking the 6wt more for Idaho and stretches of the Snake that make the Provo look like a dribble.
Last Chance comes to mind. A log just off the other side about 75' away. River not real deep, maybe waist high, but a little fast and a long walk to try to cross. With a spey rod, I feel I would be able to hit that spot (with a lot of practise) and be able to mend and keep it in the zone. You would be surprised to see how much control you can have with both hands. As Dec said "No Wish Sound" you do not have to muscle. I swear his arm moved maybe a foot and that 75' of line went flying right on a little ducks butt......three times he did this even while the duck was forming a good wake to get away. (It was a yarn ball so no harm to the duck).
Again, I don't know if there is an advantage on a tube or toon, probably more of a hastle, but the rod is light enough. Just that 13' of Graphite bending in a half circle.

I think that the Green would be fun with one, if nothing else for the control. I don't know, I think even a few spots on the Middle Provo.
[signature]