Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with Rangefinder
I'm looking for a good rangefinder and I can't spend over a couple hundred bucks. Bushnell's low end model is kinda big and a lot of people tell me that it sucks. The low end Nikon model is pretty nice and compact but I have not heard anything about it. Leupold makes good stuff but they are a little spendy for me. I can't find anything used, so I don't know what to do.
Does anyone have any of these range finders or recommend any others? I would like to make a purchase in the next couple of days so I can use all the help I can get.
Thanks, Hookjaw
[signature]
[black][size 3]For what it's worth, I can give you my recommendations on optics. It's been my experience that you pretty much get what you pay for. As long as you choose a name brand, you have a good chance of getting something you will be happy with.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]You are a young man, and have many years of hunting before you. It's better to spend a few extra bucks, and get something worthwhile rather than buy something you will have to replace later.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]For the most part, when I have bought optics that I thought I could best afford, I have not been happy with them, and replaced them after a while. Others, where I have spent the few extra bucks, I have been happy with the product, and they have lasted me for decades.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I think that your assessment of Bushnell products is accurate.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
Just spend 1800 and get the leica geovids. Integral rangefinder in your binocular. My buddy is gets a new pair for free every year with his guiding company. Top notch optics and rangefinder and you will no have to carry an extra item.
[signature]
I have a Bushnell Yardage pro (scout I think) the small single hand held style that woorks pretty well. The only issue I have had with it is trying to pick up a small rock in tall grass. It works fine on trees, bigger rocks, deer, elk, what ever. I believe they are only about $250 or so.If thats all you can afford then get that one. After you get all your necessities, then you can start to upgrade to getter quality. Each year I pick out something in my gear box that I would like to upgrade and put it on a list arranged by priorities. Then save a little here and there for your purchase. But in the mean time you still have something to get you buy.

I too would like to have a Leica rangefinder or Swarovski glass, but I really can't see how they will help me out that much more. They are on the bottom of my priority list. By the way Bushnell has a pretty good warranty with them, so if you break it in the first year send it in and you'll probably get the newer model for a replacement.

Don't get too caught up in the rangefinder for the archery hunt. In the last 4 years that I have had my rangefinder, I have only been able to range 2 animals before the shot. It's a nice tool to have along but you can't totally rely on it, still need a little instinct.

Good luck.
[signature]
There's no way I'm going to spend $1800 on a range finder. I have narrowed it down to the $199 Nikon or the $179 Bushnell. That's all I'm willing to spend right now.
So are there any other thoughts on these two finders??? I will be buying one on Monday (Aug 6) so let me know which one you would go with. Thanks for all the help!!!
[signature]
I haven't used the Nikon but I have used the Bushnell Trophy. When my mom wanted to get one for my dad it came down to the Nikon vs the Trophy. For what it's worth here is what I found out about them for her.

The Nikon has better optics and larger magnification. Reads distance in half yards and is a little smaller. Down side was it didn't read as far. Only 400 yds. Mom kept hitting the wrong button on top of the finder in the store and didn't want to deal with it on the hill.

Bushnell Trophy used a 9-volt battery. Easy fix if goes dead on hill. Reads out to 800 yards on [black][size 4]large[/size][/black] reflective objects. Smaller objects like deer or elk the distance on the box is pretty accurate. Simple to use with only one button on top. Optics not as nice but I have never had a problem seeing a deer or elk through it. Slightly larger. Doesn't mesure in half yds but I don't really see that as a down side.

Spoke to several dealers and they claimed both were about the same as depedability.
[signature]
Ok here is what I thought of the two; I compared the Nikon Buckmasters 600 and the Bushnell scout 600 (this was a few years back and now the models have changed a little). The Nikon has a better reputation for optics but the image seamed darked than the bushnell especially in low loght conditions. The Nikon gave a faster reading and it was in half yards. Does it really matter if your off by 1.5 feet? No, not a relavant comparison. As I said before I have had issues trying to range a rock in the tall grass. So I find something else like a tree or taller rock to range. I have been told that the Nikon has a narrower beam and will shoot through brush better, but I have not compared that (kinda hard in the store).
Either way you go, you should be fine. What I do is range an object two or three times and see what the average is. If there is something in the way you should be able to tell if the figure is close or not. I did have one case last year where the trees were so thick and so much brush I couldnt get a good reading and just had to wing it. Don't completely rely on the finder though cause sometimes you don't get the time to use it before the shot.
[signature]
I have the yardage pro scout, and I really like it. I use it for bowhunting and it performs quite nicely. Not the best for long range stuff, but still beats my eyeballs! I've not had a chance to look through the nikons.
[signature]
I dont think you will go wrong with either one. Buy one, In a year or two when you have some extra money, Sell it and upgrade to the 400-500 price range.
[signature]
So which one followed you home from the store Monday?
[signature]
I went with the Bushnell. I really like it so far and I got a good deal on it. Thanks for all the info guys!
Hookjaw
[signature]