Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aruba report 05/22/-06/10/07
My wife's parents own a month's timeshare in Aruba, where the family gets together for some R&R every year, and this time i wanted to bring my Fat Cat with. However, the wife's protests quickly snuffed out that bright idea.
Most of the time was spent exploring, drinking, snorkling, drinking, partying, drinking, swimming and of course ....
Here and there we managed to squeeze in a day fishing.
Only on two days were we unskunked.

On one particular day we decided to fish of the edge of coral cliffs just southwest of the lighthouse. I got some small thing on squid and nicole caught a pin fish on a bass lure ... LOL.
I rigged up with chrome/blue suspending Smithwick when I figured out the the pinfish chased after shiny things. Problem was, there were a bunch of gulls hanging around which were just as eager to tackle the lure and were diving at it. Since I was not in the mood to hook any airborne critters I cranked the bait in as fast as I could and called it a day.

The other somewhat successful day entailed Nicole, her dad and myself heading out deep sea fishing for a day.
The wind was pumping (as it always does in Aruba) and the sea was a mess with 3 to 5' swells with serious chop. We headed out on a charter game boat on a North-Northwest baring.
After about 25 minutes of full throttle the boat slowed and the deckhand set up the rods, put out the teasers and we began trolling. Perhaps another hour later, Nicole's reel began to whine (we had agreed that she would take the first battle station). She was fish on with a beautiful tuna, and as she was hauling it in we caught a glimpse of his buddies zig-zaging behind the teasers. Suddenly, withouth any explanation, the skipper guns the boat and comes about. No more tuna. Man, was I livid.[mad]
A long while later the drag on one of the reels bgan buzzing and ..... no deck hand! The little swine was asleep on the fly deck, his legs dangling over the edge.
I slapped his foot and grabbed the rod myself and brought in a small Dorado (mahi-mahi). And that was that. No more fish.
Back at shore i confronted the skipper and asked him a) why he intentionally lost the school of tuna (they are my favourite eating sea fish) and b) why he was not making sure his deck hand was taking care of his duties.
He merely shrugged and pointed to another boat which had moored alongside us seconds later and said, "At least you got something. They got nothing."
Needless to say they got no tip, I just left them the dorado (don't care too much for dorado) and took the tuna.
I will never charter them again, bet on it.

No idea what this is. but the french fries i had just gobbled were bigger.[Tongue]
[Image: something_small.jpg]

Nicole's pinfish ... ugly bugger.
[Image: nicole_pinfish.jpg]

headed out in the chop.
[Image: headed_out.jpg]

Dorado on!
[Image: fish_on.jpg]

My wimpy dorado
[Image: on_the_gaff.jpg]

My Sad dorado compared to nicole's gorgeous tuna. I estimated the tuna at about 15 to 20lbs.
[Image: hersmine.jpg]

-ABT
[signature]
Well thanks for the post. It looks like you had a hell of a good time. By the way was there any drinking [crazy]? Thanks for sharing
[signature]
Yep, it was heaps of fun. My wife is a great amature photographer and the island is a treasure trove of photographic discovery. the water id as clear as from the tap and the marine life dazzling, so snorkling was one of our favourite passtimes.

-ABT
[signature]