Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Island park
I am staying at the Sawtelle resort one night. I will be arriving in the afternoon and then staying thru lunch the next day and then onto Bozeman.
I fly fish and spin fish. Thinking that the best place since I am limited in time, is the box canyon and the trail in from the campgrounds. Any suggestions where I should go? be there 8/15-16. Apprecita your help. My first trip to Island Park area.
[signature]
If you like to fish streamers and nymphs go to the Box. If you want to fish dry flies to finicky fish try the Ranch. If you want to fish with a spinning rod you could fish the Box but the Henry’s Fork downstream of Riverside, Mack's Inn area and Coffee Pot Rapids would be other options. Based on my experience a couple weeks ago I think the fishing on the Henry's Fork isn't currently as good as it has been other years. Mid August is also one of the most difficult times to catch fish in the Island Park area. However, if you don't have too high of expectations you should have a good time.

Most of the access points to the Henry's Fork are well marked and not hard to find. You can access the Box at the boat ramp below the dam, parking on the West side of the dam and walking downstream along the West canyon rim, from the campground, ramp by Last chance or a dirt road parking area about a mile upstream of Last Chance. There is a dirt trail on the top of the canyon on both sides of the river. Walking the shoreline along the river and dropping into the Box from rim of the canyon is difficult in some areas. The wading in the Box is physically demanding in most areas. The cfs coming out of IP Reservoir has decreased some but not enough to make the wading easy. The cfs coming out of IP reservoir may decrease some over the next few days.

There are many access points to the Ranch. Most parts of the ranch require a 1/4 to 1 mile hike. Just stop into one of the fly shops in last chance for a couple flies and I’m sure they could give you some ideas. Also remember “fly fishing only” on the ranch and “no bait”(single barbless hooks) in the Box.
Good luck.
[signature]
Thanks for the input. I did what you basically said. Hiked into the box with the wife( who doesn't fish, takes fotos) and found it too hard for her to trail after me onshore so terminated that idea.

Fly fished Last Chance in the afternoon and missed 1 lber and estimated two pounder on grasshopper/nymph rig. Fishing up stream could not get good hook set.

Next morning fished the Ranch around 10-12AM and caught an 18 incher and 3 or 4 12 inchers on tan fly size 18. Great fight out of the 18 incher, couple of leaps and everything. Missed another big one who I could not set the hook beofre he spit it out.

For first visit to the area, very much enjoyed it! Thanks for you advice. see you next year.
[signature]