Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what brand of small outboard?
I am looking at the idea of a new motor for my 14 foot alum. boat. i am thinking either a 9.9Hp or a 15Hp. what brand do any of you prefer and why?
[signature]
I've had JohnRudes (Johnson/Evenrude...same motor, different name) as well as Mercurys. Performance wise, the Merc is hands down the best, but those JohnRudes are MUCH more reliable (* In my experience anyway...) and robust. For a 9.9 to 15, I'd get a Johnson/Evenrude. Also, the 9.9 and 15 are the same exact size motor, with different carb, intake, and tuning to make up the difference. Get the 15 if you can find one, it's like 5 free horsepower and still under 100 lbs. (two stroke that is...4 stroke is heavier).

Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
Like the Johnson/Evinrude motor, the Mercury is the exact same motor in 9.9 and 15, just a different carb. I've had both, and both are very reliable. I've heard good things about Yamaha and Honda as well, but have no personal experience with the small motors. Currently use a 6HP 4 stroke Merc with no complaints.
[signature]
Honda 4-stroke. Clean, purrs like a kitten, no mixing oil and gas, smooooooth, and VERY reliable. Starts just by looking at it![Wink]
[signature]
I am no expert, but would agree with Jim. My next boat will have a 4-stroke motor. After running my last motor (a 2 stroke) I decided
I would never again own one. With the different elevation, I am sure
the 4-stroke would be the best bet (no mixing).

I would go with the Merc. 9.9
[signature]
Have had a Honda 9 HP four-stroke kicker on my 19 footer for several years, other than one tune-up after 7 years I've never had to do a thing to it. Purrs even in the cold, super reliable, I will buy another if this one ever wears out.
[signature]