Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Get your sled ready for ice fishing now
A couple weeks ago I took advantage of this hot weather and waxed my Jet Sled. A waxed sled slides much easier on the snow and ice, and it is far simpler to get some parafin wax and wax the sled in 90+ degree weather than it is in temperatures at or near freezing or lower. I just slide a block of wax on the bottom of the sled and the heated sled melts and evenly spreads the wax. BTW -- I am interested in adding a Jed Sled Jr. to my ice fishing gear. If anyone has a used one at a reasonable price please let me know.
[signature]
See how you are! Always thinking ahead. Thats a good suggestion. I'm going to get mine down from the garage trusses and do it this week!
Thanks for the tip!
Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
I've got a question for you kent, how long would you say that wax will last once the season is here, do you only wax once a year or several times during the winter?
[signature]
Kent,
Good for you! Always thinking ahead. Do you have any ideas where I can get some good minnows? I now have both a net and a cage. What I don't have are any minnows, and I am not sure where to get any. I hear that chubs are the best, but I will go for any kind.
[signature]
maybe we need to take our tubes for a trip down to e-lake and put the traps out while we fish.[Wink]
[signature]
Jason,
That sounds like a good idea!
[signature]
I DID THAT TESTERDAY.LOL WAXED IT WITH PAIST WAX FOR A SMOOTH SLIDE.
[signature]
How long the wax lasts depends on how far the sled is drug and how much it is drug across dry parking lots, rocks and such. Dragging it across rough surfaces won't remove the wax in the areas that don't touch the surface. This remaining wax will still help some to cut down on snow and slush sticking to the sled. I usually only wax my sled once a season.
[signature]
I didnn"t wax my sled but I did start my snowmobile and let it run a while.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I guess that explains all of those big holes in your lawn. Not gophers but just you trying out your ice auger a bit early.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Good idea Kent. It is always easier to tune up the ice gear in good weather. I give mine a good cleaning every spring. Never thought of using the sun to get a good even coat of wax. Good thinking!

Since this thread has taken a ice/minnow/equipment turn, I have been thinking about rigging a minnow trap to be used through the ice this winter. Quite often I have schools of minnows cruise through while I'm sitting on the ice. It would be really fun to catch minnows while I'm there. Fresh minnows in January!

Since it has to be less than 8" in diameter(10" for those with big power augers), I was thinking of a 2-litre bottle with funnels crafted into the side of the bottle so the minnows can enter. Little thinset or cement in the bottom of the bottle for easy/fast sink, hole drilled in the top of the bottle for air escape, and a rope to lower, might just work. Don't know how I'll get them out though! Any ideas for a trap door...

Maybe I'll experiment with hardware fabric and Jclips.

Watch for me next winter...I'll be the one stuffing crazy contraptions down ice holes[crazy]

Again I ramble on...

Chester
[signature]
I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking of ice fishing in August. I should wax my sled too. I'm hoping to fill my freezer with minnows and shiners for the ice fishing season. Could use some perch meat too.
[signature]
Chester, after having the pleasure[Wink] of watching you school me big time ice fishing on two different occasions, I have no doubt that you will figure out a way to trap some minnows through the ice!
[signature]
Shhhh the neighbors think they are from gophers. BTW -- I have tried my power auger out more than once on my lawn. I have found if I leave the cover on the blades it doesn't make as big of a hole in the lawn.
[signature]
I waxed the bottom of my sled with melted parafin wax a couple of years ago, and I ended up with a big mess. Maybe I put it on too thick. It didn't seem to make the sled any easier to pull, but it rubbed off on everything the sled contacted. How thick do you put the wax on?
[signature]
I just slide a bar of parafin wax over the hot sled and it melts onto the sled. I have had some get on other things, like the carpet in the Suburban, but I haven't noticed any major problems.
[signature]
I usually don't use parafin. I revert to my childhood when we used to play on the slides at the park. We could make the slides 'killer fast' by putting wax paper under our butts when we slid down the slide. Worked great then and still does today. I just rub the bottom of my sleds real good with wax paper and it seems to do the trick.

Chester
[signature]
another great thing for wax is your augers. wax both sides with paist wax. it does last longer. for those who fish all the time carry a can of johnson,s spray wax its a life saver some days.
[signature]
[black][size 3]There is a good alternative to wax, it's teflon.[/size][/black]
[size 3]You can buy teflon in an aerosol can, spray it, let it dry, and it works just as teflon should.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I have had good success with it in many applications. A spray on the blades of a snow blower will keep them clean as a whistle.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]It only takes a few minutes to dry, and can be applied several times a year (as needed).[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]When dry, it doesn't come off.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850]Where can a guy buy spray Teflon?
[signature]