Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mercury or Yamaha Outboards
What do you guys think about Mercury or Yamaha outboard motors. Both are 4 strokes and I am looking at a 25hp or a 20hp. Also is electric ignition worth the extra 300$? Looking to power a 16 or 14ft Aluminum boat.

Looked at a 14ft Crestliner Sportsman at Robertsons Marine today that I really fell in love with.

Mark
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Both are great motors. You won't go wrong either way. Look at the warranties. I think Mercs are going 5-6 years right now. I also know Lee's Marine, 435-245-7727, in Hyrum is about as cheap as you can get Merc's for. Give him a call and ask all the questions because the service you get after the sale is worth a heck of a lot and Lee is as good as they get![/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]As far as boats go, if you can afford it, go to at least 16' long. It rides better and is more seaworthy in most cases. There is a surprising difference from 14' to 16'.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
To follow up on BLM's comments:
1). Definitely get the 16' boat. Its totally worth it (safety-wise and it is as easy to launch as a 14')
2). Get the electric start. You'll love it. Plus if the battery ever goes dead you can still pull start it. In my opinion its worth the extra money
[signature]