Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice - Fresh Water to Salt Water
I am taking a trip up to Oregon to do some crabbing. My boat is powered by a 88 Johnson outboard. Are there any special precautions to consider when running salt water through the engine? Do I need to flush it with fresh water after each use or would it be ok to just let it be?

Thanks,
Jeff
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Taking it on the salt water won't be a problem. Just flush the motor every time you come off. Also spray the boat and trailer off especially the brake components, clean all your gear with a fresh water rinse, and keep WD40 in your electrical connections such as your trailer hook up, both on the truck and the trailer plug itself. Salt water will destroy your electrical connections if it gets in it. I've had to replace a truck plug before when I was launching boats on the beach and I didn't rinse the plugs. [/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Obviously, take your motor flushing unit, a hose or two; some launches' fresh water supply can be a ways from the parking lots, and a hose nozzle or two. A little time spraying and cleaning everything off can go a long way in keeping salt corrosion at bay.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
I'd do everything he said exept spray WD-40 in the connections, WD-40 will breakdown rubber overtime so I would squirt some silicon grease in the connectors and if you use enough to fill the connector it should be fairly water tight.
[signature]