Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I need some trailer help
I just bought a new (used) boat. A 17' lund and the two times I've had it in the water I've really had a hard time landing it. I know that part of my problem is that I haven't figured out the the exact depth to back my trailer into and I'm floating the boat onto the trailer not driving it on. I was thinking of adding some side bunks to aid with the line up and landing, especially when I'm alone. My question is will this make much difference? How hard are they to install? It looks like they just ubolt to the trailer. I also wonder how much trailer needs to be in the water when landing? In the past I've always used the top of the fenders as a guide, the right depth is usually between the top of the tire and the top of the fender, but that is too shallow with this boat. I tried the top of the fender today and I would have had to skip the bow up the trailer pretty far.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
[signature]
I keep mine fairly shallow and then hook the winch on then pull it on the rest of the way then I am centered and dont have to back in again and try and reposition it. M.H.
[signature]
One thing I got for my trailer was diamond plate steps that have self-adheasive backs to secure them to the fenders. They make seeing your trailer underwater much easier in the sun shine and at night.

I got mine at metalcraft trailer for $15 each or so..

Also remember the angle of different boat ramps also makes a big difference on how far the trailer needs backed in the water.

One other thing -- does your boat trailer have rollers or carpeted board runners? My Metalcraft trailer has the carpeted runners and I do not need to install the upright guides because the boat self centers with the right depth in the water.

Good luck Phil -- Lund is a great boat!!1
[signature]