Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evaluation of ODC "Classic"
Well as you know I ordered two ODC Classics for my wife and I and I am super pleased with this product ... wow! Especially for the price.
Specs: [ul] [li]Frame - Full take-down, no-tools-required, powder coated steel frame with padded fabric rowing seat can adjust on pontoons to balance your cargo. [li]Pontoons - 8 foot long, 16 inch diameter pontoons feature heavy duty 840 denier nylon outer covers and 30 gauge PVC bladders fitted with Boston Valves. Two cam-lock straps secure each pontoon to frame. [li]Oars & Oarlocks - 6 foot take-down oars and heavy-duty steel clamp-on oarlocks mount into nylon inserts in frame for smooth rowing. [li]Cargo Pockets & Stripping Apron - Two large side cargo pockets for tackle storage and large stripping apron with raised edges for fly line control. [li]Cargo Deck - Large cargo deck with D-rings to secure the load. [li]Footbars - Walk-through foot bars have six position adjustment to fit most anglers. [li]The ODC Classic DOES NOT COME WITH A PUMP!, so you will need to order #916 ODC Two-Way Pump to inflate your Classic. [li]Weight Capacity: 375 lbs [li]Overall Weight: 50 lb [/li][/ul]

With clear illustrated instructions and everything fitting perfectly together, assembly only took a little more than 10 minutes.
The Boston valves are well placed in the pockets of each pontoon (one bladder per pontoon) with a protective Velcro-flap covering them.
The pockets are massive but very floppy, you have to be careful your tackle boxes don't slip into the water.
The cargo deck is ample and with 8 D-rings, can have anything lashed to it.
The seat is very comfy considering it is basically padded nylon stretched across a tubular frame. I have a back issue and I never felt discomfort all day on her, neither did my wife.
The frame also moves backwards and forwards easily to adjust weight distribution.
Once assembled it looks like a solid built craft with quality and functionality in mind, and is surprisingly easy to pick up and carry at 50lb (my wife found it so easy, she could not believe it weighed 50lb).
The oars feel solid and snap together smoothly but you will find they constantly slip into the water when you are trying to put them up. This is easily remedied though, with the optional purchase of oar locks or a home modification.
I rigged an anchor system and made two rod holders and we were off to the water to test them.

We decided to go to a calm spot on the Delaware near Sparrow Bush where there is a sort of cove off to the side.
Sitting in it, I found myself sitting a good 8-10 inches out of the water. My feet on the footrests were in the water to my heels but a quick adjustment by sliding the Classic's frame back put my center of gravity further back and my feet were out of the water.
After two hours of rowing around in the cove for some orientation i tried a little fishing from it.
What a pleasure!
I was fly fishing with a Dahlberg Diver and the smallies seemed to love it. I found landing the two bronze backs I caught much easier than from the tube, perhaps because being higher out of the water afforded me a better view of the fish through my polarized glasses.
Then it was time to head into the mainstream flow and some rough stuff and see how they held up.
They tracked very well, and going feet first down the waterway and navigating the rapids was a cinch. Even rowing back up the river in some parts (when we had takes on our bass flies and decided to make another run down the same spot) was exercise, but not taxing at all.
The toons stayed inflated and brand new even after ramping over a few shallow rocks. After a fun and tiring day, taking them apart was as simple and easy as assembly was.
Pros:
Tough
Well built/ great quality
Easy to handle and tracks well, very maneuverable.
Quite comfortable
Lots of room
Huge pockets
Simple to assemble
Great price

Cons:
Pockets are too sloppy and require modification
Need optional oar locks to keep oars in place

In a nutshell: for $199 ... AWSOME craft. My wife and I highly recommend them to anyone for lakes or rivers.
I apologize for not having pics of us in action on the toons, but my wife forgot the memory card....[unsure]
Next time, I promise.

Front view

starboard view

anchor setup on a pulley

second view of anchor set up

anchor rope tether. You could feasibly mount a cleat.

Bait caster/spinning rod holder and fly rod holder

Presto! --There's the valve.

-ABT

[#ff0000]EDIT: Sorry, but the pics were too big and covered the options menu...reply, etc. I removed the pics from the main post but attached them at the bottom.[/#ff0000]

Thanks for fixing the ignorant African's post Pat, much appreciated.[crazy]
[signature]
Great evaluation, including pictures. Is the sale still on?
[signature]
Looks exactly like mine, had it 2 years and still running. Be careful with your toons, I thought I had a slow leak in mine but I guess my valves weren't tight. The only thing they skimped on with this one is the cheaper pontoon covers, alot of the more expensive ones have heavy duty rubber covers, like a basketball.

Nice photos, nice anchor rig,

How do you plan on transporting it, just curious, my old vehicle had a rack on top, my new one doesn't (yet) I've been breaking down and re-inflating each trip, takes a little more time.

I solved the problem with the seat by bungying a boat cushion or 2 on top of the canvas seat. I sit way up off of the water with the 2 cushions underneath me. Creek Company sells rod holders, they were on sale for $6 each, I snagged 2 of them, now they make excellent oar locks, just tuck the oar behind each holder, I'll have to take some pics and show you how they're rigged.

I've also strapped a couple of bungy cords across the bottom frame making a shorter foot rest, if you like to bend your knees a little, works great, me being 5'5", the foot rests are a little bit of a stretch. If you strap bungies across the cargo net you can store another rod or anything else for that matter by securing it under the bungies. I've never tried it with an electric motor, don't see the need for it, love rowing. I started standing on it last year, no standing platform, just tuck my feet between the frame and the pontoons (wearing sneakers) on each side of the seat. Takes a little getting used to but after a while it's effortless. I've only fell of it once, slipped off my cushions into 4 feet of water, no problem.

I'm curious, did you get a fly line apron, and do you use it, I find mine keeps me tucked into the seat and gives me less casting motion.

And YES, the ODC classic is still $199 with free shipping, the company is very reliable and answers emails very quickly. If worse comes to worse a replacement bladder is $36, not bad, they do honor warranties very well and will replace anything covered.

I hit Pocono Lakes quite frequently, haven't had mine on a river yet, good to know it's worthy of the Delaware. I just picked up a bike trailer and plan on packing the pontoon into a couple remote lakes, could always use company.
[signature]
yes the sale is still on![cool]

Hey Henry you live in NY state huh? Would love to get to meet another BFT'er. It would have to be after the second week of September as we are in the throes of moving back to Manhattan at the moment.

-ABT
[signature]
Trevor, those are some nice pics of your 'toon.

I have the same exact one except it's yellow (easier for the power crowd to see). I just used velcro straps to secure the oars back when I'm not using them. It works like a charm.

I like your anchor/pulley system...I also have one of those but mine is located at the rear of the cargo deck. Your way looks more stable so I think I'll re-rig mine.

I also like your rod holders. I mounted a single rod holder down by the foot bar, I will test that in the morning at Porcupine.

I liked your evaluation...you pretty much hit it right on, but I haven't had a problem with tackle and what-not falling out the two side pockets...I just keep it partially zipped and it does just fine.
[signature]
I forgot to mention that I was lucky enough to get a real good deal on mine. A co-worker originally bought it, and decided after 2 times out on the water that he didn't like it.

So he sold it to me for a cool $100. Practically brand new.
[signature]
Yea that is an awsome deal. I also liked how you secured the rod holders.
[signature]
Before the rope gets to the pulley from the karabiner, it runs through a U-bolt to keep the rope away from the edge of the seat and make sure that the rope pulls down on the pulley.

I mounted my rod holders with hose clamps so I could swivel them into the down position when navigating into tight tree overhangs.
I have a plan to cure the sloppy tackle pocket issue. I am going to use Tupperware boxes with the bottoms cut out and then insert them into the pockets. This will keep them firm.

-ABT
[signature]
Great idea about the tupperware boxes...that should sturdy things up a bit.

Do you plan on mounting a fishfinder to the frame? One of the storage pockets on my 'toon is dedicated just to the battery and I roll up the wires and secure them in there as well. Then I just zip it all the way to one side or the other and that keeps any water from getting in there.

The other storage pocket I keep a few of those smallish clear-looking plano tackle boxes, plus any bait, and maybe a few bottles of water or whatever.
[signature]
heck no. With all the tackle I carry (hello I'm a bass fisherman ...[Wink]), both pockets have to be dedicated to tack boxes. I will have to figure something out exclusively for my fish finder.

-ABT
[signature]
If you drill a hole in the rod holders they can be secured by snapping them inside one or both of the rear frame D-rings,
assuming they're the right size, this is how the Creek Company
rod holders fit on.

To answer your question, nope I'm not in NY state, Northeast, Pa.
close to the Poconos, I'm still curious as to your mode of transporting the toons. I'm planning a hike in (bike in) trip soon,
I'll keep you posted. I'd also love to pontoon the Delaware, works better with 2 vehicles, lol Smile
[signature]
Hey Lavaman, I like your quote - Henry David Thoreau
[signature]
Thank you sir. [cool]

Always nice to meet people in here.

Derek
[signature]
One of my favourite Thoreau quotes is:
Do all fishermen lie, or is it that all liars fish?"

[sly]

-ABT
[signature]
Interesting info on the rod holds, thanks.

We deflate the toons and leave them strapped to their position on the frame, remove the cargo deck and place the toons in the back of the Pathfinder (the back seats are put down). The frames fit nicely on top of one another.

As soon as I am finished with all this moving nonsense by the first week of September, we'll have to get together for sure.

-ABT
[signature]
I got this same pontoon, I got it this year as a Father's day/birthday present form my wife and kids. So far I like it very much. The only one thing is those pins that you assemble it with, I lost two of them already, they broke off on the wire part. I am looking for a stainless steel screw to replace them with. Other than that it has been fun learning to fish from it.
[signature]
Thst should not have happened. If I were you I would call them and hold them to their waranty before modifying anything.

-ABT
[signature]
Well, i just contacted the Creek Company about the pins that broke on my pontoon and got an anwser within minutes, the person also mention it was anusual that they had broke and they will send me a couple of them today.

Good products and a very nice customer service. That is big for me, I will keep coming back.
[signature]
Amen to that. My wife and I are super happy with them and their product.

-ABT
[signature]
When the weather is nice and you don't mind the Salt, don't forget to bring yourself a nice comfortable loung chair too![cool]

[inline bigchair1.JPG]
[signature]