Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need a Boat!!!
So I am tossing around a few ideas. I want a family boat but I need a fishing boat. I am very concerned about my son in a small aluminum boat but I don't want to get too big of a boat then it lmits where I fish. I am sure some of you guys have been through this. What type of boats do you have and what would suit me best.

Thanks
TFS
[signature]
A fishing boat is not going to help you VD. Your name on here is TheFishSlayer, yet everytime you put a post on here you have gotten skunked. Instead of finding a boat maybe you should find yourself a new hobby like knitting or gardening HAHAHA just giving you crap!!![Wink] I have been fishing Idaho lately and really killing the LMB, Crappie and a few really nice bluegill!!! Going next week, I'll look in my little black book and see if I have any openings!!!
TS
[signature]
What ever happened to that boat your dad came across? I need a boat. Tell him I can buy it from him now. I'll even drive to Pueblo to get it.
[signature]
You know he was up here the whole week and I never did ask him, I will shoot him an email right now and see what's up with it.
TS
[signature]
Try [url "http://www.ksl.com"]www.ksl.com[/url] classified section - plenty of boats to throw your $$$ into over there -- Good Luck!!
[signature]
i am going to sell my boat if your interested ill pm you some pics
[signature]
WHY WORRIE ABOUT A SMALL ALLUMINUM BOAT I HAVE HAD MANY AND NEVER SANK ONE 14 FT IS PLENTY SAFE. EVEN ON THE BERRY AT 2PM IVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM.
[signature]
One boat will simply not do. There is no such thing as one perfect boat. I've owned as many as 3 at a time and currently own 2. When I owned 3, I had a 88 Reinell Cuddy for Lake Powell camping/cruising/etc., an 87 Supra competition ski boat for wakeboarding and waterskiing those early mornings with the buds, and an older 14 foot aluminum for fishing. The only thing that has changed is that I finally realized I wasn't going be be an international waterskiing or wakeboarding star, and got tired of the injuries and slowed way down on those activities. I still do them, but the big family boat is just fine for that.
I currently own a different 14' aluminum boat and and a 24' family boat. The 14' aluminum is a fairly deep model. Like others have said, get a deep 14' aluminum and a good motor (mine is 20 hp) and you won't have any problems.
The 24' boat is a cuddy and we take it to Powell and do the family trips, etc. and it has a trolling motor on it and pole holders and stuff so that I can fish out of it also. The difference between the two when fishing is that I can go places with the aluminum that I wouldn't dare take the family boat...and there are also places that I would take the family boat that I wouldn't dare take the aluminum! (Lake Powell for instance).
Also, I like to fish a LOT.
I can do a Berry trip with the Jeep Cherokee and the 14' aluminum for about $30 to $40 and that includes Jeep gas and Boat gas. Divided by 2 it ends up between $15 and $20 each for a day of fishing.
If I take the 24' Four Winns (454 fuel injected motor) and the Superduty diesel, it is a Benjamin for a day of fishing...but you fish in style!
Start off with about a $1500 aluminum boat, take it out and see what you like and don't like about it and go from there. I've owned 10 boats over the years, and some of those were very good for one thing only and very poor at most other things. The Supra for instance was really good for waterskiing...and nothing else. Boats are a big compromise. Kind of like being a Jack of all trades, but master of none. Any boat can do anything you want it to do, but will most likely do everything mediocre at best unless you buy a specialty boat, and then it will do one thing very well, and do everything else very poorly if at all.
Hope this helps...none of my boats are for sale right now, however, if I had more energy and time, I would like to upgrade the 14' for a 16' or 17' foot boat. Since I've heard they are putting in a boat ramp at Huntington, I won't need to hand launch anymore!

Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
That is great advice thanks NETO. I was throwing that idea around of having 2. I may get a little 14'er and a larger one later.
[signature]
Is this too much? [url "http://www.ksl.com/?nid=218&ad=1630242&cat=147&lpid=3"]http://www.ksl.com/?nid=218&ad=1630242&cat=147&lpid=3[/url]

thanks
[signature]
That is perfect for you VD!!! Now all you need to do is take one of the chairs out and replace it with a sewing machine, since we all know you cant fish worth a hoot!!!
TS
[signature]
That Lund looks like a pretty nice set up with all the extras!! I have had 2 14' alum and one of them was just like that one. I do miss my smaller one when the water gets down like it is in willard,newton ect. But i sure like the 19.5 I have now I can take the whole family plus some and dont have to worry about the rough water like i did in the smaller one. I hope it all works out for you.M.H
[signature]
Dude I have caught more 50 lb dead stripers swimming than you ever will.
[signature]
Actually that looks like a great deal! Lunds are quality boats. 2 years ago I paid $1700 for my 14 foot boat, with the 20 merc on it and an electric trolling motor. By the way, mine is not a Lund. Mine is a MirroCraft. I like the deepness of it, but it is a wet ride and not a lot of rigidity in the body. I liked the quality of my older shallower Appleby better. I've been in Lunds, and I like the size AND the quality of them. When I bought mine, the guy allowed me to do compression readings, and he had it in covered storage. I could clearly see that I wouldn't have to do a lot of work to it.

It is hard to get a test drive on boats, but I usually try anyway. Minimally get compression reading on the motor. Try to see if its been used recently or not, etc.

Hope this helps!
Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
Hey way to go on your decision to get a boat. Get as wide a hull as you can in the length you want. A wider hull will give you more room than just getting a longer boat. The other thing is free board. Get enough free board to stay dry as these western lakes get rough. As far as ride goes a flat bottomed boat will beat you to death on a rough lake but not draft as much water, more dead rise will smooth that ride out but it will draft more water and take more power to push it. Also I would really consider sitting down and looking at your familys level of interest in fishing and boating. If its pretty casual I would limit the investment. If its serious and runs in your blood like it does here with us I would consider seeking that dream boat and pushing the finances some for it. You can get 15 years for a newer boat. One that would give your family a life time of great trips and memories. Good luck in your quest this is a good time of year to buy. Dan
[signature]
[black][size 3]Dan, I covet your boat.[/size][/black]
[size 3]It's the only boat I've seen that I would trade my Lund for.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]It appears to have good features for the committed fisherman.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
You know, it really depends on where you are going to fish. I have seen a LOT of people on this board touting using 14' boats on the berry all day long. You can do it if you stay in the bays, but it really limits you. It really hasn't been long at all since one person that thought he was just fine with his 14' aluminum boat on the berry found out too late that he was wrong. Unfortunately, two people lost their lives in that one where the wind came up, water filled and sunk the boat. I'm sure we are all familiar with that one as it was all over the news for weeks during the recovery efforts. A very Sad situation.
Yes, you will be fine most of the time, but is it really worth the risk, especially where you mention taking your son out.
I personally started with a 14' boat a few years ago, trolling the bays at strawberry. I finally decided I wanted to be able to get anywhere I want on the lake, so I bought an old tri-hull 17.5' boat with a 135hp outboard. That boat did great for me for a few years. The tri-hulls are very stable with people moving around in the boat as they are made to sit flat on top of the water. However, I found this has one drawback. If you get into big waves, the tri-hull tends to want to climb the wave, then fall down the back side of the wave. The next wave can come and fill the boat with water if you don't know how to steer those things in heavy waters.
After a few years I decided it was time to upgrade again. We now have a 19' deep-v hull with a 305 i/o motor. This thing will go anywhere and I've been in some pretty rough waters on the berry. Just take it easy and it cuts right through the waves. It has a remote-troll on it for trolling and is an overall great fishing boat.
One thing to keep in mind if you are going to be fishing larger lakes like this, and looking at larger boats, is look for how much room you have to fish off the sides of the boat. A lot of boats have windows that cover much of the side, making it harder to fish that area. Some Bayliners are really bad that way.
The boat you posted does look nice and Lund makes a great boat. I don't think it would fit my wants for the berry, though. If a storm comes in and you are over by the narrows, you will pretty much be stuck by the narrows until the wind and waves die down.

Again, there are probably people that will disagree with me on that, and that is fine. It's just not worth the risk to me, especially with a family.
[signature]
[black][size 3]Safety is going to be a major factor in purchasing a boat. Size will make the difference as to which water you will be comfortable fishing.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]But no matter which boat you choose, you will find out that they are all too big for storage, pulling, and launching. But once you get on the water, they are all too small. [/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]It's a matter of finding one that fills your needs.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
The jet boat folks are finally starting to build center consel boats. That would be my preferred configuration on any boat. You get more space for the buck. Unfortuneately its still a wet ride on choppy water in the smaller hulls. Where I used to live winter fishing was an option that required a better cabin. But it cuts down on the places to poke a fishing pole out. I think it would be fun to take different boats out on a "fishing date" to help make up ones mind about which one would work.
[signature]
If your interested I am selling my 2004 Skeeter fish and ski it is listed on KSL just go into the clasifieds and search for skeeter its the red one. Im selling it ready to go fishing or skiing turn key. I have included a PIC.
[signature]