Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
farmington lake
sitting here at work being bored and running around on topozone typed in farmington canyon and saw a little lake called farmington lake never seen any posts on it anybody know if threr are any fish in there are is it a just a fish less mud puddle

aquaman
[signature]
Hey Aquaman,

If it is the lake I am thinking of (I never did know it's name) and it is back in there a ways. There are no fish, well at least none that I ever caught. I fished it back in the late 60s early 70s (I am a brute for punisment) on many occasions. The only thing I ever saw in it was beaver and water skeeters.

Now they may have done something wih since then I just don't know as I moved away from Bountiful and found new places that actually had fish to catch <Smiles>. But you can't beat the beauty of the place and if nothing else it is worth the trip just for that.

Road
[signature]
well its more of a pond then a lake. and yes there are fish in it mostly trout a few same bluegill, and green sunfish. you can get the trout with powerbait. and eggs. give it a try but get early.
[signature]
Farmingtom pond is a fairly new deal, by that I mean it has been seeing regular stocking and fishing improvments only within the last fifteen years if I remember correctly. I grew up in the area and theres a lot of small ponds or lakes that have good fishing in them but get fished mainly by the locals.

As a kid we would fish farmington pond, the kaysville ponds, and Holmes creek. Holmes creek is actually a nice little largemouth bass and walleye fishery.
maybe i'm Confused or i Confused you guys i alway got the impression farmington pond was in farmington at the bottom of farmington creek what i'm talking about is a small lake up farmington canyon above bountiful peak is that actually farmington pond?
[signature]
I went to topo zone and checked it out . I have never been there but it is different water than the one in town . Might take the wheelers up there in the summer and check it out .
[signature]
Farmington pond is at the mouth of Farmington canyon and is a community fishery that is stocked all the time. The Farminton Pond that is on the skyline drive above farmington is not stocked anymore at least that is what I understand. I heard that it had winterkill really bad and was not worth it to continue stocking it. Hope this helps.
[signature]
My cousins that lived in Clearfield turned me onto that lake back in the late 60's. It was stocked with trout and access was or is from bountiful or farmington. Yes, it is up on top. There used to be two small lakes there. I haven't fished it for more than 30 years. Don't know if it is maintained anymore. If you drive up from Bountiful, just before you drop off the top down into the back side of the mountain, you can see the lakes. Give it a try. Another isolated lake that is out of the way but I have never fished it is up Hoyt peak. You have to hike down into it from the flat iron, but it is a real solitude area. You'd be the only ones there. Another I used to like to go to is Lake Mary up behind Brighton. You have to hike into it. It is full of macks and brookies. Few people hike in and fish this lake. It is really deep. Haven't been up to that lake for many years either.
[signature]
I have lived in Farmington all my life and have fished this lake over the years. Caught some small trout with a fly 2 years ago. But did'nt fish it at all last year. If you go up Farmington Canyon its on the back side of the ridge just before you cross over the ridge looking down on Farmington.
[signature]
Fish it every year. It holds small brookies and cutts. It is pretty shallow and is best fished with a fly and a bubble or a fly rod.

tightline
[signature]
My brother and I traveled the skyline drive from Bountiful to Ogden maybe 15 or more years ago. It was a beautiful drive. I did see the pond that you are talking about, as I recall there were some youth there playing around. But I never fished it.

A couple years ago I drove up Farmington Canyon with my scout troop for an overnighter. It is a very narrow road with quite a drop off. As we were going up, some gal was comming on here way down. I got all the way over towards the hill side and she was on the drop-off side. She was so nervous and came so close to me that she scratched my truck for about a foot, with her mirror. It was crazy cuz she had enough room that she didn't need to hug my side that closely. It really upset me. Anyway, the campground was nice and we had a good camp.
[signature]
thanks for the info guys maybe i'll heap up there tomorrow if though its supossed to really blow
[signature]
[Smile]If you go let us know how you do
[signature]
You won't be able to get there this early in the year unless you're willing to walk a long ways. The snowpack up Farmington Canyon is reportably better than the Uinta's. And the road is closed where the road forks to go to Francis Peaks Radar towers because of snow.
[signature]