Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
outdrive/boat help please????
I have a volvo 280 outdrive on my boat and on my last trip when i pulled it out of the water after a day of fishing it was leaking oil out of the top baffle. Does any one have any idea what might cause this. The second question is this. Is there any repair shop in the utah valley area that will not charge me my firstborn to either diagnose the problem or fix it?,
Jed
[signature]
I would go or call heber motor sports they are real reasonable my neighbors dad owns it and they fixed my boat for a lot cheaper than any where else when you call there ask for mark 1-877-654-5799
[signature]
What do you mean by "the top baffle"? Are you talking about the driveshaft bellows?

If that is the case, the input shaft seal is leaking. On that 280, you can remove the upper gearcasing without removing the whole outdrive. May want to check your u-joints while you are at it as they will come out with the upper gearcase.

If you are talking about the exhaust opening, then you might have engine troubles.

Either way, check your outdrive fluid level and your engine oil levels. Make sure there is no water in them. Overfull is bad also, that means you have water getting in as well as oil getting out.

Without seeing it I'm not sure of your problem, but I owned a 280 for many years and got quite intimate with it.

Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
I was talking about the upper driveshaft bellows. I figured it was probably something like that. As far as oil levels go my engine level was a little low, but that is normal. The outdrive oil level was a little low as well but still had oil in it. I figured it was probably just a seal or something like that. How much of a project is it to change that seal? I do most of my own basic mechanic work and have the repair books for the outdrive. I am just wondering how major of a project it would be.
Jed Burton
[signature]
Mine did the exact same thing as yours then. I removed the upper gearcase myself, and then took the upper gearcase (which includes the driveshaft) over to the SeaRay shop on 3xxx south state (I think its called marine max now) because they work on Volvo's, and I had them put the seal in for me as apparently it required a bunch of special tools, which I didn't care to buy at over $600.00!!!

Was a lot cheaper and a lot more convenient as they didn't have to remove the part from the boat themselves.

Seems like they charged me about $80 for the parts and labor, but that was about 10 years ago.

Hope this helps!
Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
I can't say for sure on the volvo drive, but I just had the exact same problem on my merc alpha one. The top drive shaft seal failed and started dumping oil into the u-joint bellows. After it was all said and done, my bill ended up being $760.00

I looked into fixing it my self and soon realized that you need some totally specialized tools for the job. (At least on the merc.)
[signature]