Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
strange fish
ok well i dont fly fish. but i have a house in upstate new york and i fish in the brook near there with a spinning reel. i figured i'd come to u guys with this question since i see people fish there with fly fishing reels and its kind of ur territory. so i was fishing there yesterday and i caught this strange looking fish. i dont believe it was a brown trout or any other type of trout i'd ever seen.. it was brown/ dark gold colored and its mouth wasn't like any i'd seen. it was kind of facing downward toward the ground and it was circular and looked like it would be used for sucking things of the bottom. u know like those fish u see in the pet stores? the one i caught was about a foot and a half. any idea what u think it could have been? ill get some pictures up of it when i get the chance but think u might have an idea of what it was?
[signature]
...if I had to guess Id say it was a carp of some sort... I am sure the real experts here will jump in and tell you exactly what it is.. especially after you post the pics..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Sounds like a CARP to me, specially the colors.

[inline BUGLEMOUTH.jpg]
[signature]
see sis ...you do teach your lil bro well... lol

MacFly
[signature]
It could very well be a carp but there is one more species that is more slender than the Carp with the mouth pointed straight down. It is called a Sucker Fish.

There are several Genus to the Species. If you can get some pics, I'm sure we can help you get a positive ID.[cool]
[signature]
I could be a sucker, but in NY it is a WHITE sucker. Never seen one, I am sticking with the CARP thing. Can't wait till you can post a picture.
[signature]
... Im with ya sis.. but if bro tn2 ends up right I m gonna have to jump to his side of the fence... [sly]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I'm betting on a sucker. The carps mouth is a little farther toward the top than a sucker and he mentioned it looked like a pet store fish. My .2.[cool]
[signature]
From when I was a kid I remember that in New Hampshire there were suckers in the rivers. They would get to be rather large.

White Fish have small mouths that point a little downward but they are a Rocky Mountain fish.

Do they have chubs back east. They some of them have a downward pointing mouth but most species are rather small.
[signature]
Lunker, pet store fish? Like a Gold Fish which is a Carp or are we talking a different fish.
YOU GOT TO POST A PICTURE! you are driving us nuts!
[signature]
The algae eaters i think is the fish we are trying to think of.
[inline "algae eater.jpg"]
Algae eater
[inline white_sucker800_25.jpg]
White sucker

Does that help Joni???[Tongue]
[signature]
[reply]
From when I was a kid I remember that in New Hampshire there were suckers in the rivers. They would get to be rather large.

White Fish have small mouths that point a little downward but they are a Rocky Mountain fish.

Do they have chubs back east. They some of them have a downward pointing mouth but most species are rather small. [/reply]
[signature]
do any of these look like what you saw? [center][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/7912/cat/500/ppuser/89"][Image: white_sucker_2.JPG][/url][/center] [center]white Sucker
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/7911/cat/500/ppuser/89"][Image: chub_minnow_2.jpg][/url][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/7910/cat/500/ppuser/89"][Image: Chub_Minnow_B.jpg][/url][/center] [center]Chub Minnow[/center] [center][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/7909/cat/500/ppuser/89"][Image: golden_redhorse_sucker.JPG][/url][/center] [center]golden redhorse sucker[/center] [center][/center] [center]these three species do co-exist in the same waters at the same time trout do.[/center] [center][/center] [center]this species exist in trout waters year round[/center] [center]this one is a young one, so it is whiter than the adults, adults are pretty much brown[/center] [center][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=26673;][/center] [center]goby[/center] [center][/center] [center]all these species are found up river of you in errie detroit rivers and inland conecting waters[/center]
[signature]
Well, now that I see I've quoted someone, but my own text didn't show up, I'll add it. I catch Whitefish in Manitoba, quite some ways from the rockys. There is actualy a comercial fresh water fishery market for them here. They could easily be further east, I imagin.
[signature]
we have three white fish in the great lakes regeon,

one called white fish in the market is a "white bass"

stripped bass called the same in the marked

one called sheephead actual name is fresh water drum and is called drum in the market.

of those thee only one has a downward turned mouth.
[center]Sheephead[/center] [center][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/7913/size/big/cat/500/ppuser/89"][Image: fresh_water_drum1.JPG][/url][/center] [center]click for larger image[/center] [center]these have been known to reach 20 Lbs.[/center] [center] [/center] [center]the river behind me is the st clair river[/center]
[signature]
I saw a SHEEP HEAD while at the coast of Port Aransas in Texas. COOL fish. I wanted to fish the jetty for them but ended up getting sick on the open sea for Red Snapper.
[signature]
lol, no offence, I have never seen one nor caught one in person. my dad talks about them all the time.

thats an all together different species. those sheephead have teeth, the ones in fresh water have mouths more like a carp.

every one I know down in florida goes after sheep head. Them and Cobia and snappers...

if your fishing for salt water sheep head, I hear you need a good quality steel hook and steel leader. I hear them sheephead can snap a 70lb test line at first bite like a pair of toe nail clippers...
[center][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=29247;][/center]
[signature]