Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help with my trolling motor
[unsure][font "Arial Black"][red][size 3] Help! I have a problem with my trolling motor. It will run fine for a while ( time span is different each time ) and then it will just quit. Any ideas would be very helpful. I am going to try fresh fuel, is there a fuel filter on this thing that maybe I didn't see? [/size][/red][/font]

[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 3] I'm open for suggestions. My motor is a 1968 Johnson 6 hp short shaft. [/size][/#ff0000][/font]

[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 3] If I don't answer your posts right away it is because I am at the hospital waiting for my new Grandson to arrive, future BFT member.[/size][/#ff0000][/font]

[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 3] AFDan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
Perhaps this is a little rudamentary, but did you change the plugs? I change my 2 strokes plugs every year no matter what. Another problem may be gummy carbs. I have a 72 Johnson 9.9 and it does not have a fuel filter, so I assume yours' probably does not either.
[signature]
[font "Arial Black"][red][size 3] Thanks, I will check them out. Do you think I could use some carb spray to clean out the gum, or will I have to remove the whole carb to clean?[/size][/red][/font]

[signature]
In the past I've had really good luck with a product called Power Tune. I attach the garden hose adapter to the motor, run the motor at around 2000 RPM (just guessing here) then spray in the carbs. It will bog the motor, and smoke up the whole neighborhood, but it does a great job of cleaning everything out. Even cleans the carbon deposits off of the piston and cylinder. You can get it at boat shops. Just follow the directions on the can. A few days ago there was a thread on running the motor out of gas, not sure if you read it or not, but good info. I always run mine out when I get ready to get them out of the water. Just disconnect the gas line with the boat still in the water and just let it put out. Make sure you use the old plugs for power tuning, as it will foul them out. Hopefully this might help.

Good luck with the new grand baby.
[signature]
[font "Arial Black"][red][size 3] Theekillerbee, thanks very much for the info about the powertune. I will look into that right away. Thanks again, I'll let you know how it works.[/size][/red][/font]

[signature]
I hope the new future BFT member arrived safely. As far as the motor is concerned, do you use a fuel stabilizer? A lot of the guys use sea foam, it helps clean the carb out. I had a problem like you described once and the motor seized up, I hope your problem is not as bad. WH2
[signature]
[Smile][font "Arial Black"][red][size 2] The future BFT member arrived right time, and in the usual fashion of kicking and screaming. But all is well. [/size][/red][/font]

[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 2] As for my motor I'm thinking that it is more of a starving for fuel situation, maybe something is blocking the fuel line. [/size][/#ff0000][/font]

[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 2] Preadtor gave me some ideas to look into so that is what I am going to do first.[/size][/#ff0000][/font]

[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 2] Thanks for all of your help.[/size][/#ff0000][/font]

[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 2] AFDan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
there is a small filter on the side of the engine you can change. also you should try to clean out the fuel tanks. sometimes you'll get a piece of debris floating around in there and it will get sucked up in the fuel line and cause a blockage and as soon as the motor dies it settles down the line to the tank or you bulb until the next time it gets knocked loose.

Remember that your mixing chamber in your carberators have only 1/1000" for fuel to flow through and get atomized so any tarnish or buildup will block them. there are usually 4 holes per venturi for fuel to pass through so if you block 2 of them there goes half your performance.

I happen know this good looking bald guy that could help fix your problem, let me know.

Congrats on the new BFT member D
[signature]
[blue][size 2]Hey Dan, this time of year my first guess is old gas. Gas has a short shelf life, water can condense in the tank, it can turn to varnish, etc. I use a product called Sea Foam to combat all those problems, though the other product mentioned works similarly. First, I'd drain out all the old gas and fill up the tank with fresh gas and a heavy dose of Sea Foam. If it smokes like crazy, it's not the Sea Foam--it's the crap it's cleaning out of your engine.[/size][/blue]

[blue][size 2]The other thing I do is run 100% synthetic oil. It burns cleaner, doesn't fill the boat with smoke, and keeps your motor clean. After switching to synthetic oil AND running Sea Foam, I had to change my plugs because all the crap cleaned out of my motor fouled them. Now my motors run great. I also always add a little Sea Foam to my gas just as maintenance.[/size][/blue]

[blue][size 2]Good luck.[/size][/blue]