Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What caliber do you shoot and why
I am wanting to get a new gun for the hunt this year and i am having a hard time deciding between what caliber[pirate]
[signature]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]It depends on what I am hunting.[/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3][/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]For Elk I like my 30-378 Weatherby. This caliber was designed for long distance. It is basically a 378 Weatherby cartridge necked down to a .30 cal. Only drawback is it is not cheep to shoot.[/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]For deer I like my .270 Winchester Short Mag (WSM). This is quickly becoming my favorite caliber and I may even take it elk hunting this year if I don't kill with my bow. Very fast and shoots long distances fairly well. [/size][/#808000][/font]

[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]For Antelope I use a .25-06. Great caliber! Very accurate especially at 400 yards or less. Very fast, cheap to shoot, and the wife can even shoot it without getting to beat up.[/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]I have many more but these are the three that I would look at if I were you.[/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]Good luck on your hunt!![/size][/#808000][/font]
[signature]
I really like my 300 win mag, it seems to do the job on all our big game around here. I have a Browning A-bolt stalker, stainless composite with a Boss system. The Boss is a muzzle break that dials into the bullet your shooting, it makes the gun VERY loud- but reduces the recoil dramatically. Some like the Boss, some don't, I love it. My second choice would be a 270 WSM, that gun seems to be a really good combination of ballistics and energy. Good luck
[signature]
[font "Lucida Console"][#ff4040][cool]I shoot a 7mm rem mag...has yet to fail me![/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
3oo Win. Mag, just because I can.[Wink]
[signature]
Thanks for the info i have been using a 270 wsm maybey ill just stay with that
[signature]
What grain bullets do you guys shoot from the .270 WSM? I've herd great things about it. Personally I shoot a .300 Win Mag for elk and a 6MM remington for deer. The 6mm is a great gun for under 300 yards, but I just don't feel it has enough weight to maintain foot/pounds over a long distance. If I had it to do over I would probably have bought a 25-06 or the afformetioned .270 WSM which wasn't available when I bought the 6mm.
That 30-378 that Wyobraz mentioned is an excelent cartridge, but I weigh 250 lbs and I still don't have the shoulder to shoot it. I know I would never notice it when I was drawing down on an animal, but I would never get the thing sighted in.
[signature]
I like the plain old 30-06. Very versatile and does the job just fine. It has not let me down in 7 years. Every elk i have pulled the trigger on has crumbled where it stood. Only ever had 1 deer get much farther than that and it was a spike with 5 shots in the ticker and lungs. Arnold SwartSadeer![cool]
[signature]
.270, 130 grain bullets. Because it's the best (for deer). I have dropped Elk, Deer, and antelope with the .270. For a multi species rifle, probably the 30-06.
[signature]
Hey Hookjaw, what is the muzzle velocity from your 270 with the 130 grains rounds? Do you shoot factory load or hand loads? I've always concidered the 30-06 as the best all around, multi species gun. it's not fast or pretty, but it's been getting the job done for over a hundred years now.
[signature]
Not sure on the muzzle velocity, I'll have to get back to ya on that one. I usually shoot Federals, but I just bought all the equipment to reload for my .270 so we'll see what I can muster up.
[signature]
i use a 270 when i rifle hunt 130 grain boat tail soft tip. same round for elk or deer. but i havent shot at a deer with a rifle for over 20 yrs. lol. bow hunt deer and elk. only shot cow elk with the rifle for last 12 yrs or so. good all around gun. if you have bullet placement. if you are not GOOD SHOT. get a bigger gun. a 270 is not for you.
[signature]
Federal has a downloadable interactive ballistics program that is by far the best info I've ever seen. This chart will let you put in elevation, wind speed and your bullet and wala, any distance out to 1000 yards you have your bullet drop and velocity. The best thing about it is its FREE! Give it a shot, you'll like it.
[signature]
I've hand loaded for years, if you need any help getting started once you get set up let me know. I've got reloading manuals for most of the major brands and three presses. I don't know if my manuals are new enough to include .270 WSM, but I'm pretty sure my barnes manual has them. Hornady, swift, spear and nosler I'm not sure about, but most of the manufacturers will release load info for a while after new calibers come out; atleast until they are ready print and sell new versions of their load tables.
[signature]
That's why I shoot a bigger gun, I'm a lousey shot beyond 500 yards especially if they are running or there is a gale force wind.[Tongue]
[signature]