Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LAST WEEK'S FISHING
[cool]Hey, what happened? Did all the floatin' fishermen die?...nobody goin' fishin'?...computers crashed?...had to work and ashamed to admit it? Let's get some action here. Bragging or moaning. Either one is okay. We're happy for the successes and if you didn't score...well, we feel your pain.

I had a good week. Took last Wednesday off to introduce an angler from Utah to the finer points of floatation fishing. Although an experienced fisherman, he had never floated before. Got him out in a tricked out Kennebec, with the rod racks and sonar and all the fancy stuff.

Sorry to report, it was terminal. He is now a tubeaholic. Almost had to stick a knife in his air chambers to get him off the water Wednesday night. Then, since he is still in Arizona for a few days, he forced me at gunpoint to sell him a previously retired Caddis round tube...a set of unused waders and a pair of neoprene boots. I didn't have an extra pair of fins to spare, so he was Walmart's first customer the next morning, before he hit the lake on his own.

Wednesday afternoon was Arizona springtime at it's best. Hit Saguaro Lake, northeast of Phoenix about 1:30. Calm and 80 degrees. Water was high, clear and 70 degrees...perfect for the fish to become active. Saw lots of shad as we kicked out to the six to eight foot depths and began bouncing little jigs off the bottom.

Mike went "bendo" within a few minutes. The six pound class spinning stick was straining and the drag was singing...and Mike was whooping and hollering. I guessed large channel cat. We catch a lot of them in there, using light gear, and they do bend your stick and stretch your string.

However, after a lengthy hand-to-fin combat, it turned out to be a huge fat carp...somewhere between 20 to 25 pounds. Mike didn't care about the species thing. He had just won the fight of his life. After holding it up for a quick pic, he let it go and resumed casting...with a tired rod arm. (HERE'S THE PIC OF THE LARGE "BROWN")

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage1333749.jpg]

For the next four hours we were in fairly constant action with the lake's hefty population of yellow bass. These small cousins of the stripers look a lot like white bass, but have a definite yellowish sheen...and seldom get much over a pound. But, as the Utah guy...an experienced wiper fisherman put it...they are like small wipers on steroids. They hit hard and fight well. We had a good trip.

Mike kept a few for dinner, as I did. They fillet out nicely and are great in the pan...or oven...or on the grill. I don't know how many he caught, but I estimate I brought about 50 in to my new Super Fat Cat.

The following Saturday morning, I took Tube Babe (Mrs. Dude) back to the same spot, where we met up with Mike and his fiancee, who lives in Arizona (the original reason for his visit). My wife and I launched, but noticed that Mike's car was gone. Seems he had forgotten to include his waders when he loaded the car in the dark.

There was an offshore breeze blowing as we began fishing. This is the norm on that lake in the morning. Later in the morning, once the sun comes over the surrounding hills, it usually calms down and the water gets flat. Then, in the early afternoon, a westerly breeze comes up and blows in onshore.

I might note that the wind had been blowing strongly the previous two days and the water temp had dropped back to 65...from 70. And, on Saturday morning, the offshore breezes not only did NOT diminish, they kept getting stronger. By the time Mike got back and launched, the wind was kicking up small waves even close to shore.

We caught a few yellow bass early, but the offshore wind blew the few remaining shad back out into the open lake, and the other fish seemed to follow. We weren't getting many fish on our sonar, where there had been screenfuls on Wednesday. Still, by finessed fishing in the proven areas, we still managed to pick up an occasional fish.

Finally, about 11 AM, the breeze subsided somewhat and a few fish started coming back into the big cove we were fishing. Over the next couple of hours we all caught a few fish, and kept a few of the big egg-laden mamas. We invited them home for dinner and Sunday dinner featured them as the guests of honor.

The tragedy of the day was Mike's fiancee. In spite of being a longtime Arizona resident, she neglected to apply sunscreen while waiting on the sandy beach for Mike to get his fishing fix. When we returned to shore, her white skin had turned to bright pink. She was definitely overdone.

Anybody in California get out for halibut this past week. The flatties should be feeling the springtime urges too. Time for some big mamas to show inshore.

How about the inland action. Anything going on with trout or bass...or the species of your choice?

Oh yeah, that reminds me. I'll finish off this dissertation with a bit on carp fishing. While fishing Saguaro Lake on Saturday, a small group of anglers showed up on the protected (from the wind) eastern shoreline. I had seen them down there before and knew what to expect. I clued my spouse and Mike to watch their lengthy preparations. They were dedicated carp fishermen from Britain...where carp are considered worthy opponents.

One guy worked on an air pump, to inflate a small rubber raft, while the others set up their long "match rods". When the raft was properly aired up, the lady in the group got in and rowed out to what would be a long cast from shore and began chumming the water with pelletized "ground bait" from a cannister sold for just that purpose. As she moved around and tossed the pellets, according to the instructions of the "veddy English" males on shore, she was encouraged with shouts of "Brilliant. Brilliant".

For the rest of the morning, the two long rods they had set up on horizontal rod holders were bent in big straining arcs more than they were setting idle. Saguaro Lake's big bugle-mouths liked the international flavor of the bait they were offering and there were frequent uses of the big triangular nets the Brits had brought to subdue the big fish. As the fish thrashed, before being released back into the lake, the dogs of a nearby group of anglers barked in excitement. Good show.
[signature]
[cool]Ya know, if I wasn't already sold on flotation fishing, I think your dissertation would convert me. I have also been chuckling over the foibles and follies of the boating fraternity on the Utah forum.

Hey, I have thoroughly enjoyed running and gunning for bass, trolling for a wide variety of species and just plain being able to fish far away from the marina on big lakes like Powell and the Gorge...activities available primarily to boaters. I have not owned a boat for over twenty five years, and I have never really suffered from not having one. I think my yearly fish count is as high as any boater I know...and I know my enjoys are higher. What isn't higher are the payments on my craft, licensing, insurance, fuel and maintenance.

And, as Mr. Scud so eloquently observed, all those nagging little problems of launching and trailering are pretty much non-existent. But, I'll tell ya, when Tube Babe wants ta go water skiin', that's where I draw the line. Got a hernia last time I tried to get her up on those skis.
[signature]
[cool]Hey Chris. Good to see ya on the site. Glad you are getting into the game. As I suggested on your other post, you should get registered and hang out here once in awhile. We get a pretty good group of tubers here that can be a big help for newcomers to the sport.

I live in Phoenix these days. I grew up in Orange County, though, and I was probably one of the first guys to dunk a donut on most of the bays and beaches in Southern Cal...back in the late fifties. I was just a kid and made my own float tube covers out of canvas. There were no commercial models then and forget having something like the nice nylon covers we have today.

I would really love to spend some time over there and sample the fishing of today. I suspect the scenery has changed, even if the fish haven't. I know my own abilities and outlooks are different now, but as soon as I go bendo with a big flattie I'm a kid again. Heck, I'm still like a kid on Christmas eve the night before a trip...checking and rechecking the gear...laying awake planning how I'm gonna "kick 'but", and all that.

I noticed on your other post that you apologized for catching a big smelt. Hey, Bro, I love to play with those dudes on light tackle. You never need to apologize for any fish or any tackle on this board. We're all friends (fiends) here. The main thing is the sport.

I don't know how much you throw iron or plastics, but you should always have some in your lure boxes...for those days when you can't get bait. Ghost shrimp are great for many species, but a Hammer or a jig will get some legals when the goin' gets tough for smelt or 'dines.

You should check out Kiyo's site at baytubers.com. There's a lot of good info there on craft and rigging and techniques too.
[signature]
[cool]Hey, Chris. I did a bit of deckhandin' myself...out of Davey's Locker in Newport and some out of Santa Barbara. Also did some commercial stuff. Took my tube over to the inside of Cataline a few times and abused myself on inshore light tackle stuff. Never had the guts to get out in the currents and go for the gusto. I did land a few small yellows and a couple of decent WSB and halibuts...along with jillions of calicos, barries and some hyper bonitos. They put some grins on your kisser when you hook up in a tube.

Like they say about other things in life...all fishing is good. Some is better than others. But I have never met a fish I didn't like...well maybe a couple.
[signature]

Hey TubeDude,

Looks like you had a great day and double the fun with a buddy. I'm with you, at the end of a rod, all fish are created equal, welcome and a joy to send back to their homes to live and be visited again.

In Japan, in the area I lived, the so-called-anglers who fished for grass carp would automatically kill anything else they caught and leave them scattered around so others would know what fish species was left in the area.

I learned to talk and curse like a gangster just to intimidate the jerks when I came across them in the field. They truely thought they were going to get their $$$$ kicked.

Since then, all fish, as a creature of nature not somewhat unlike ourselves, commands my respect.

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool]Good philosophy, Ron. Some folks think I am a few lures shy of a full tackle box in my outlook on fishing. I also maintain almost a worshipful attitude toward nature in general, but fish in particular. I have been known to waste much valuable fishing time just enjoying the clouds and light, a particularly beautiful sunrise or sunset or the way the trees reflect off the water. Even worse is when I catch a wild trout from a high altitude lake or stream and marvel at the detail and the beauty of the coloration. You can almost hear the heavenly choirs singing on such occasions.

Unfortunately there are too many fishing slobs who see fishing as only a legal means of capturing and killing fish. What's worse is the "angler" who keeps everything he catches, only to take home and show off. The best case scenario is that he at least gives them to someone who will use and appreciate them. Far too often, however, they end up in a garden...or worse yet, a dumpster or a vacant lot.

I'm not a soapboxer, but I'm also not bashful about making myself heard when I see people abusing our resources. In many cases, young people are merely carrying on the tradition of poor sportsmanship they have learned from someone who had bad habits. Even worse are the young people who have grown up in single parent situations, where there was no parent who could or would teach them anything about the great outdoors, and how to enjoy and respect it.

I guess that's just a roundabout way of saying: TAKE A KID FISHING. And, if you do...teach him or her the RIGHT way.
[signature]
[size 1]"you a soapboxer" not unless they make a super fatcat durby car. [laugh][/size]

[size 1]you have shown your ture colors tho, and welcome to the club, you are a romantic too. lol [cool][/size]

[size 1]yesterday I thruough the rod and reel in the back of the truck and went down to the river only to just stand there to watch the fish jump the little rock dams. I saw falcon taking a bath about a 100 feet away from me, it didnt seem to bother him much that I was standing there with a wolf in my hands. the mallards were playing follow the leader walking accross logs that were suspended in the air across the river from the last wind storm.[/size]
[signature]