Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
otter creek fishing report
well I finally made it out fishing for my first time in quite a while. My uncle and his brother in law and i were supposed to go but my uncle canceled last minute so I took his brother in law anyway and we went. we started out fishing around 11:30 and trolled around with rainbow and hot chub colored tail dancers for about and hour and a half until around 1:00 o'clock or so without so much as a nibble so i got a crazy hair and decided to run kokanee gear on down riggers (not normally a crazy hair, but this lake was only 16ft deep in 90% of it). we ran the gear at around 7-10ft (some blades from rocky mountain tackle and some shasta kokanuts in pink and one in chartreuse) anyway that was the ticket the second I got the down rigger to 10ft I had a fish on. Then I went to put my uncles brother in law's lure down and the second we got it down to 7 ft Same thing. The fishing stayed pretty consistent for us for the rest of the day. It wasn't crazy, but we caught 26 fish in all and the last 2 were a double hook up as we trolled into the boat harbor at 6pm. all were rainbows around 14-15 and a half inches. Unfortunately many had sores on their sides that looked like the rainbows from east canyon. Does anyone know what that parasite is that causes it. Some even had big open wounds in their sides others just had those cyst looking things on their sides. Anyway it was a beautiful day on the water and lots of fish to show for it. I didn't have the camera, but I took one or two photos when i got home that I will post. Oh and a side note. I shredded a tire on the boat trailer at university parkway, but it held enough air for me to go about 10mph all the way to highland using the back roads,
Jed Burton
[signature]
A word of advice. If your other tire is the same age replace both of them, even if the other tire looks fine. Every time I have not followed that advice I have regretted it.
[signature]
do you have any advice on where to buy tires like that?
jed
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Good report Sorry about the tire. At least it didn't happen at freeway speeds...on the freeway.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The sores on the rainbows were probably anchor worms. They do not infect the flesh so the fish are okay if you fillet and skin them. I used to call them "pizza side" rainbows.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That is not uncommon when water levels are low and the water is too warm. Stressed fish are more susceptible to infections. Once the water cools and they get some good food the infestation often goes away.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
actually.........it happened at 70mph on the freeway under the university parkway exit,
jed burton
[signature]
Glad you got into em.. As far as the tire going ta pot try this, concider it just one more part of the day's adventure and something that added spice to an otherwise hum-drum fishing trip.. Thats what I do,, beside the whing and crying..[laugh]

Way ta....
[signature]
You can buy trailer tires from all of the major tire dealers.
[signature]
I may be wong and often am....but the picture of the sore doesn't look the same as the anchor worm i'm used to up at EC. Could be the picture though...in talking to biologists the clai the EC epidemic comes from the stacking in the inlets and sharing the worms. They also blame the worm on the ranchers above aloowing thier catlle to wallow in the streams... Sorry to hijack the post about Otter Creek
I got 2 new tires for my boat trailer a few months ago at Big O for $80. You just have to haggle with them.
[signature]
Cormorant bites. The fish in the top of the photo has a long "gash", and the bottom fish has a very distinctive puncture wound. Typical of the wounds inflicted by cormorant beaks.

Fishrmn
I just put new tires on my boat trailer at les schwab and it was about 120.00 for both
[signature]
I talked to a buddy about it and the ranger at the station had said that it is actually a skin infection that only affects the skin itself. He said when water levels are low and water warms up they get it and when it cools down again in the fall and fills back up they go away,
jed
[signature]
I'd say the same thing about the fish that you're holding in the picture, but the other two look like cormorant wounds. Undoubtedly so on the bottom one. It happens all the time at Minersville and Piute.

Fishrmn