Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry 8/30/07
Fished Strawberry today with a neighbor and his regular fishing buddy. Neither one of them had ever vertically jigged; although both of them had fished many times before. One has been fishing for most of his life and he is 89. We caught lots of fish, which was extremely frustrating to them because their idea of fishing is to catch one's limit ASAP and go home. All fish caught were cutts and all were in the upper end of the slot except for one outside of the slot which went home for dinner with the 89 year old. It was fun exposing some new anglers to the fun world of vertically jigging. Fished between The Knolls and The Ladders in 34 feet of water with fish on the fishfinder about 95% of the time.
[signature]
great report kent. myself and the in-law are hitting the berry this saturday on our toons. should be alot of fun.
thanks for sharing. [cool]
[signature]
Those are great pics kent..they bring back memories we had....

craig

NB
[signature]
Another nice report Kent but the big question is, how did the motor run[Tongue]?
[signature]
You and your middle of the week trips! I've gone up a couple times during the week this summer and it is very very nice. No crowds, no bother, just plain old good fishing.
I was all set to go on Saturday then again on Monday, but got a last minute invite with some relatives to go up to Flaming Gorge. I'm a rookie at that lake, so I excpect to spend a lot of time fishing and not much time catching. I'm actually going to try for a Mac, but I think my chances are 0% since I have no idea what to use, where to go, what depth, when, etc. etc.
I may as well fish without a hook.

Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
[black][size 3]It may sound weird, but in my opinion, attitude can make the difference between catching fish and not.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I find that if my concentration is aimed at the line and lure, and thinking of the fish, I am usually successful.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]You might try it, make it a do or die situation rather than just wetting a line.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]And, be sure to tie on a hook. lol[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
Sounds like every thing went well but I am waiting to hear how the boat ran.
[signature]
[black][size 3]Hey Kent,[/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Great to hear you got out and found some fish and were able to introduce a couple of folks to jigging.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Did you get your motor to produce more than a dozen RPMs ? I hope you didn't have to paddle that boat all the way over to the Ladders.[/size][/black]
[signature]
In reply to how the boat ran -- it ran fine, except I still didn't get the RPMs that I need to plane. Putting the electric trolling motor with its heavy batteries slowed it down from what I got last Saturday at Rockport (higher elevation also had an impact). Next I am going to try a prop that is either a little smaller or has less pitch to see if that solves my endless opportunity!
[signature]
Randy, feel free to take all my Gorge Luck with you. Combine my luck with yours and maybe you will get a bite.[crazy] That is a place where I have struggled mightily.
[signature]
Thats a bummer but I've been there myself. Lee has a lot of used props, hopefully you can find one of those that will work on your boat instead of buying new. I ended up with two props, one for high elevation and one for lower. I did find out I can use one for both elevation but I need to be careful about the RPM and not go over 5,500.
[signature]
[black][size 3]Hey Curt,[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I think you may have a little typo in your last post. 55,000 seems a tad bit high.[/size][/black]
[signature]
Nice report Kent. Thats neat to see an ol timer out there still enjoying himself. Good on ya all. I think a diffrent prop will make a big diffrence. although the altitude doesnt help much
[signature]
Your right, should have been 5,500
[signature]
I want to go for a ride if he ever does get 55,000.[sly]
[signature]