Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lots of boats on Willard today 09/03/07
Wiperslayer and I launched around 6:30 this morning, we were the first ones on the water. We headed to the same spot we had caught fish the week before, the water temp was the same, 72* but the catching wasn't[unsure]. Our next stop was the light pole and by this time there were people starting to show up, saw a guy trolling south toward the corner then the power squadron showed up. This boat just had to show off right by our boat even going so far as to honk their horn just so we would look at them, at least they stayed over 150 feet away. They headed down to harass the other guy that was trolling and we decided to head over to the island. We made one pass but were marking few fish so we decided to go to the North dike and troll there for a while. We hooked a good wiper about half way down the dike and decide stay in that area. The water was fairly clear and we thought that might be why the old faithful producer worked on this trip. We got one other wiper in the boat and lost two others right behind the motor. By this time there must have been over twenty boats on the lake, most of them pulling skiers, even one big pontoon boat that must have been over 20ft. All in all it was a nice morning on the lake but with all those people, I'm glad we got off when we did[crazy]. WH2
[signature]
Good fishing report, bad power squadron report. How are the big boats launching? I thought the marinas were too low?
Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
It is launch at your own risk, so they are taking a chance[crazy] but I guess since it was the last big weekend of the year, a lot of people thought it was worth it. Now that is over I hope it goes back to what it was, few boat and even fewer skiers[Wink]. The water temps are on their way down, I'm hoping the catching numbers will be on the way up[Smile].
[signature]
has anyone on here had any success on a toon with there fly rod.
Ive been meaning to get out there and try. Just wondering.
[signature]
I haven't read any recent reports of anyone catching any wipers on a fly but in the spring there were several when the water was clearer. I'm sure the water is too murky now but a white zonker or something like that was one of the flies they were using. WH2
[signature]
hey thanks for getting back to me.
Ive chased them before with my fly rod in my boat and did well.
I just havent fished for them on my toon I had a hard enough time keeping up with the boils in my boat let alone with just my flippers.
[signature]
YeahI was trying to chase boils to no avail from a float tube. I wore out kicking my butt off and they would disappear. Then I had to kick back in. The tube is definately not a boil chaser.

[cool][cool][cool]
[signature]
Yea, a toon isn't too good for chasing boils but in the spring the wipers eat a lot of stuff before the minnows start hatching. One of the guys that did good was just dragging his mudder minnow across the surface at the south marina channel as he worked his way toward the bay. We went out in a boat for several hours and got skunked he trolled the channel for an hour or so and caught three. WH2
[signature]
Cool thanks Ill have to check it out.... If I do well Ill have to post a pic or two.
[signature]
My best day which my avatar comes from was real early in the season I think it was early may. We were on the west bank near the southwest corner. I caught 3 my son caught one and my buddyy caught 4 Wiper. All from the shore. Then we started renting boats and I think the most we caught were 2. No I own a boat and I am afraid to take it out there.
[signature]
Fat @$$
[signature]
If you hit Willard just right, you can do good from shore but the odds are against you being consistent. How big is your boat? Do you have power trim or tilt?
[signature]
19.5 foot I do have power trim but I really don't want to risk it. State farm says no Willard.
[signature]