Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Delaware River 09/08/07
The wife and I went tooning the Delaware this Saturday, a well earned trip after a week's worth of moving apartments and getting settled.
We had originally intended to put in at Narrowsburg, NY and take out at the Lackawaxen, but instead opted for something closer to home, so we put in near Shohola and took out at Sparrowbush.
The weather forecast was for partly cloudy skies , 10mph winds and 85 deg.
Hah! We were on the water perhaps 30 minutes when the the lightning and rain cavalry rolled onto us. Winds picked up to perhaps 20mph (fortunately at our backs for home-bound), the lightning and downpour were insane. The rain actually stung and flooded our gear pockets, tackle bag and boxes and soaked the camera. This was the storm they had forecast for Sunday, not Saturday. Flippin' meteorologists!
So needless to say, we only got to cast a few dozen times before my wife began to panic with the lightning and wanting to get off the water.
We took shelter under a wooden deck of some one's house on the bank and tried to wait it out. Not a chance. The rain curtained out the mountains and I was concerned we would would not make it back by dark since we had a long way to go still, so we decided to chance the lightning and get back.
We made it safely and still managed to enjoy the ride. There were the usual drunk people floating the river on various vessels (including assorted swimming pool toys [crazy]).
We also met some crazy guy who was still fishing in the storm from a Hobie. His philosophy was "At least I'll die fishing." Nice to be single and childless.
Has anyone ever seen a Hobie in action? Man, do they move!! he was zipping to-and-fro like a mad man with A.D.D.!
Check out the craft. Weird but very innovative:

[url "http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaking/models_sport.html"]http://www.hobiecat.com/...ng/models_sport.html[/url]

Anyways, since the camera got flooded, I only managed to get three pics.[Sad]
I also included a Google Earth view of our route (7 1/2 miles).

-ABT
[signature]
The only down side I have heard about the Hobie, is they only go one direction. May be just me, but I like the idea od being able to go both directions.
[signature]
Definitely with you there!! Getting a lure caught, going in to release it and then having a hassle backing out ... not my idea of fun ....[pirate]

-ABT
[signature]
[reply]
The only down side I have heard about the Hobie, is they only go one direction. May be just me, but I like the idea od being able to go both directions. [/reply]

...I may be showing my newbie denseness.. but I clicked on the link for the hobie and it looks to me like it would be basically the same with the reversing your paddling on the hobie as you would with the oars of a toon... ??

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Quite an adventure.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Not the first report on this board where the ACTUAL weather turned out to be somewhat different than the forecast.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It is getting so that when someone asks me what the weather will be my reply is "Fair and sunny with occasional heavy winds and downpours:" I am right more often than those who get paid to circulate their lies.[/#0000ff]
[signature]