Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using a pontoon on the south fork of the snake river
I have been trying to find out some information on this area, like the canyon part of the float concerning difficulty and any info anyone might have to offer about this float.
[signature]
My advice would be to find another river to fish. The flows have been very high out of PaliSades to try to fill American Falls. the river has been off-color and fishing horrible. The Snake here in Jackson has not been much better. High water..slow fishing
[signature]
When would be a good time? What do you think about a pontoon going thru the canyon area? I am thinking about some time in the future not necessarily this year.
[signature]
No problem as long as you have rowed your pontoon previously on a river. Don't be day dreaming. Watch the bends and dead wood and know your take out area. I have floated it many times and never a problem. I 've taken my toon thru Kauna and Lunch counter and survived that . There is a diversion canal down near Byington that has caused people problems. the sign says stay away- just do that . You'll have an enjoyable trip.
[signature]
Guys take pontoons down "the Canyon" all the time. As long as you know how to row and keep your eyes open for downstream hazards you won't have any trouble. I wouldn't recommend floating the South Fork to someone who has little experience navigating rivers. The logs laying along the bank are much more of a hazard than the white water. Plan on a long full day float if you are going from Conant to Byington.

I drove through Swan Valley last Friday(14th) and the river was a little off colored but not too bad. PaliSades is only 2% full and the silt from the bottom of the reservoir is getting flushed out of the dam. I think the South Fork will be better fishing in a few weeks when the flows coming out of PaliSades have been decreased. I wouldn't be surprise if some of the fall hatches are affected by the silt from PaliSades.

The South Fork can be good fishing year round. Most of the fishing pressure is from Memorial Day to Labor Day. One could argue September and October are the best times to fish it. Catching rainbows to grill during the spring spawn can also be fun. Good luck.
[signature]