Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trout fishing
I can almost read your minds when it comes to my question. But I'm kinda curious about trout fishing.

Is it really worth the extra money for the trout stamp? Why aren't trout included in the price of the fishing license? I pay for the fishing license so I can fish. Why can't I fish for trout? It's still fishing.[:/]
[signature]
THE SAME REASON WE CAN'T HUNT MOOSE WITH A SMALL GAME LICENSE , THERE WOULDN'T BE ANY LEFT . [Wink]

ACTUALLY I THINK IT'S BECAUSE THERE A VERY DELICATE CREATURE , ANY SUDDEN CHANGES IN THERE HABITAT COULD WIPE THEM OUT COMPLETLEY .

MOST OF THE MONEY FOR THE LICENSES IS SUPOSED TO GO BACK INTO RESTERATION AND PRESEVERATION OF THE FISHES AND THERE HABITAT .

AT LEAST THATS WHAT I HOPE IT GOES FOR .
[signature]
DDR,
Anytime you want to find out about trout, come on out to UT. Trout are included in your fishing license and very plentiful. Anyone out here would be happy to show you the value of catching, eating, or releasing trout.

I'm guessing that in MN. the trout are a put and take fish. I've noticed in many states, the trout do not reproduce to the numbers that are caught. In most of those cases, the money from the additional license, goes towards the raising and stocking of trout.

If you fly fish, the trout stamp would be more valuable than gold. I don't do it much, but the first fish I hooked up with on a fly rod was a 20" Brown in the upper Green River. I would pay plenty to have that fight again.
[signature]
I believe the reason for the trout stamp is to cover the added cost of stocking rainbows. Most other species of sport fish reproduce naturally, which simplifies management. Many states spend huge amounts of money to stock trout, especially rainbow trout. They require special hatcheries and expensive stocking programs. The added cost is passed along to the anglers who pursue that particular species. The same concept is applied to salmon.

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]
well said,

the product is trout and salmon.

the market is the angler.

that is the truth of the matter.

the states makes money of this so if anglers stop fishing then the state looses their shirts and the pot they &*%$#&t in
[signature]
You also must realize they are a beautiful treasure, and are very difficult to cultivate due to their low tolerance on unoxegenated or warm, or murky waters. There are only a few states that can produce trout successfully. Cutthroats can't live east of the rockies even.
[signature]

hi there davetclown,

This is no place for politics but I must say that some states! hint hint figure that major, statewide fishery closures and short seasons will not effect their income to a point they rebel against politicians and eco-echos. Some hint hint states plant trout week after week for the exclusive benefit of Striped Bass (anglers) and Comorrants on a good number of waters. Said in basically good humor.

Less fishing, higher fishing license fees next year! Whew!, whinning all done now!

JapanRon
[signature]
I hear ya there, some states like to squander the funds raised from the sales of sporting license, some states dump the monies in to its genneral fund where it can be used where ever the state wants, the having to rely on the federal government to save its anual fish stockings through federal grants.

while other states realize just how important the license dollar is.

in my opinion, (vary opinionated that I am) I beleave the wrong place to discuss politics about perserving fishing and hunting is behind closed doors. but that's just me.
[signature]
[Smile]I'm from Utah and don't have to worry much about a trout stamp but out of curiosity how much does a trout stamp cost? If it wasn't more than 10-15 dollars it probably might be worth it if there are a few good places to fish for trout, I think.
[signature]
in michigan the trout stamp is gone, but if you want to fish for trout and or salmon you need to buy a all specie licen on top of the regular fishing licence.

seperatly if perchased the fishin license is 14 bucks and the all specie licence is 14 bucks. if bought together thsy are 27 bucks combined.
[signature]
Hoobie,

Utah does not have a trout stamp, but the resident license is $26. Sounds about the same as Michigan, but you don't have the choice of opting out in Utah. You pay if you choose to fish trout or not. States with stamps put more of the cost burden on those who choose to pursue that particular species.

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]
Not sure what it is. I think it's $8 here in MN.
I'm considering it this year. That way I can fish more waters that they normally yell at me for trying to fish without a trout stamp. Hehe.
[signature]
Hey Dave... just out of curiosity... what fish isn't included in the regular $14 license?
[signature]
all trout

all salmon

sturgeon requires a tag just like deer. only obtainable at a dnr office in person.
[signature]
are you allowed to use 2 poles for trout?

i can in nevada ($10 stamp) , cant in utah ($60 fine)

sm
[signature]
we are allowed to have two poles for every thing, we are allowed a totle of 3 hooks, 2 on one pole and one on the other.

example of the set up would be. we have a set line with a couple crawlers on it sitting n the bottom of the river, on the other rod we can have one more hook. say like a repalla or lure that has two or three hooks on it is concidered one hook.

or you can put in another set line on it but it can have only one hook.

so this is realy not to bad of a deal here, dropping in a set line and using a fly rod to keep you bussy makes things a little more active.

no trout lines allowed in michigan
[signature]
I dont mean to pop your bubble, but here in michigan the money goes in to the genneral fund.

wich means when grandhlom screams about budget problems she can stop spending sport fishing dollars on trout and other game fish plantings and park maintanance, and spend it on them uuuuuuugley dresses that she has been wearing on tv.

to bad she didnt dress that way before the ellection, she would never have been elected.
[signature]
yea , just wanted to mention , a small portion of the general fund is used in the walley program i am involved in . from the collection of the eggs , our pond planting , the food , the fertiliser and the dispersal of the fingerlings .

a very small portion .

as for all the stuff it is misdirected to (like dave said , the queen of the great lakes and all her expences ) we could fill forum after forum up .

one of my dad's pet peves is that we pay the d.n.r. c.o.'s pretty well , and every holliday weekend the c.o.'s are out there picking up the empty bottles and cans ( leaving all other trash behind ) and then heading off to the store to cash in the deposits .
[signature]
As far as money goes the state doesn't waste the mone it goes to the DNR and they decide what gets stocked or raised in certain lakes. I'm sure most of the fishing you have available isn't trout and that's the reason for the trout stamp. Basically if you want to eat or catch trout then you need to pay for it. Most fish can basically sustain their populations with out stocking fish every year but trout are hard to raise and can't sustain themselves.

Take for example a 1,000 pounds of fingerlings cost about $450 dollars but a 1000 pounds of 8-10 inch catchables are 4 to 5 thousand.

Most people I know from California would die to see a trout released because they pay around 10 bucks a pounds. So if you pay around 10-15 bucks your geting a deal.
[signature]
thats a big ouch for sure, the last time I was at the store and looked at fish prices, I saw a salmon in the window going at a rate of 15 bucks a pound, the fish looked like it would weigh every bit 12-14 pounds with the head on, (you buy the head at that price too)

that is a hundred and fifty dollar fish. yet people buy them that way, they seem be able to afford it some how.

if I wanted to drop a franklin on a fish, I want to be on the boat that it is caught on and catch it my self.
[signature]