Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rod Building Help
I ordered a couple of rod kits from Cabelas to do while I was home with back surgery. I would like to know how does everyone finish reaming/sanding out the cork for the rod blanks to fit???

And do you taper it with the blank or straight file it and call it close enough?

Any help would be appreciated heck if ya can help me call me at 435-559-5705 and tell me what works for you

Thanks in Advance Paul
[signature]
[font "Technical"][#0000a0][size 3]Paul, you will want it to be tapered to match the rod as close as possible. You can do this with a tapered rat tail file or you can make a tapered reamer out of an old broken fishing pole. Find a piece of rod that is smaller than the rod you plan to fit your handle to. Mix up some 5 minute epoxy and spread over the old rod piece and sprinkle sand on it. This will make a tapered reamer. [/size][/#0000a0][/font]

[font "Technical"][#0000a0][size 3] You can get sand for this at lowes or home depot. It will be sold as traction sand, not the traction you put in the back of your truck for weight, but the kind you put on the ground so you don't slip. You can also buy sandpaper that is sticky on one side. Cut a narrow strip and spiral it up the piece of rod. These methods can be used by hand or with a drill. Hope this helps. [/size][/#0000a0][/font]
[signature]
[cool]For a "quick start" on expanding a small opening to a larger opening, you can put the end of the file in the chuck on a power drill. Just be sure to be careful and do only a small amount at a time...checking as you go.

The flip side is what if you get a handle with the cork opening larger than your rod? The quickest solution is to build up the rod diameter with either (A) successive layers of masking tape or (B) wrapping with heavy thread or light cord...to which you apply some contact cement or other adhesive to bond it in place. Over-building can be handled with a bit of sanding.

As PH so aptly pointed out, a close fit is important. The better the feel of the rod will be, and the greater the sensitivity to light bites and what is going on at the business end.

That being said, I like to leave just a slight bit of play between the blank and the handle before applying the adhesive. This allows for a thicker coat of the sticky stuff to help bond the parts, and less of the goo will be scraped out the end by tight-fitting components when you put them together.

Whatever you use, make sure you measure twice and glue once.
[signature]
Gosh sometimes living in a smaller community a person feels like he is in Oder-Ville (not to be Confused with the real towm of Oderville) I have looked every where for a silica sand I can have 90lbs but think that is over kill lol

I did buy a makita grider and smashed it up then epoxyed that with some kitty litter onto a tapered dowel I hope this works

does anyone know a site I can DL small stickers that I can epoxy on these rods??

DL=down load
[signature]
Try this link for decals, i am not sure if they will be good enough quality to print.

[url "http://www.mudhole.com/default.html"]http://www.mudhole.com/default.html[/url] click on the Decals link.

These are not specifically for downloading, but you may be able to extract one of these decals.

I am not sure about making them into stickers, maybe you have something in mind for that. Most rod decals are on clear sticker material, I suppose with a high quality printer you could make something work.
[signature]