Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry Still Rules 09/28
I and two friends ignored the full moon and bad reports and hit Strawberry this morning anyway. It was a balmy 31 degrees just before first light as we got on the water. We hit the south end and after about 5 casts had our first fat Berry cutthroat in the boat. Fishing wasn't super hot at any one time but very consistent until we quit around 11 because of the W, though we did have a triple and a few doubles. We ended up boating 56 cuts, all were caught using our normal fall formula -- pointer minnows tossed into 10 feet deep water or shallower right on the weed lines. We caught about 40 on pointers and then switched to white 4.5 inch jigs for the remainder. There are few or no fish deep, nearly every fish we jigged up was in total water depth of 15-20 feet or less. We caught several on jigs by casting to them while they were rising.

One other interesting thing, the attached picture shows a fish with a line hanging out of its mouth. I could see a cheese hook in its throat. Apparently someone caught it with bait, cut the line instead of ripping it out of its throat, and it lived to be caught again later. The old line was pretty slimy so I assume it had been awhile. I had it out of the water 20 seconds max to get a pic and it took off again fast so I assume it's still swimming.

Strawberry vitals read - 53.1 water temperature, no algae bloom or turn over yet. Tomorrow looks ugly, but after that it should be good.
[signature]
awesome report and pictures. thanks for sharing. [cool]
[signature]
Great report. I love this time of year up there. Just a quick question though. What kind of pointers do you use and how do you retrieve. What type of motion seems to work the best?
cool report. that goes to show that cutting the line does allow the fish to live to be caught for another day.
[signature]
Hi Piscis...love that sunrise pic. I'm using it as my wallpaper here at work if that is alright lol

Strawberry is spectacular, I sure wish I could get over there more than I do. Caught my biggest trout from the Berry a few years back.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850]Piscis, those pointer minnows you were using, are they the [url "http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpageHDRLUCKY-LCPT.html"]Lucky Craft Pointer Minnows[/url]? If so, what color is your preference?

Fantastic report and great pics. I need to learn more about that place.[/#002850][/size][/font]
[signature]
Try the ghost in the luckys....[Wink]

[signature]
Heh Old Coot and Igottabigone, the ones Old Coot links to are the ones, I prefer size 78SP in various colors, depends on the day and mood of the fish. Generally the different Ghost colors work best. I use a super fast retreive unless I'm casting onto weeds, then I chuck it and let it sit a second, then work it back in little bursts. It's hard to force yourself to launch them into 2 feet of water at 15 bucks a whack, but they are deadly in close.
[signature]
Nice to see you attacking the berry again! Cool pics as well. Thanks for sharing.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850]Thanks much Piscis. I'll have to give that a try.
[signature]
Thanks for the report and the PM even though it was late. We fished it Thursday did'nt catch too many. Started shallow but did'nt stay dedicated to it, we should have. Keep them fall reports coming tons of nice fish and good numbers.
[signature]
Ghost Brown is by far the best color for the "Berry". Make sure you get the clear or see thru version. Next, is the ghost minnow. There are lots of different colors that work. I've even caught cutts on the Largemouth Bass pattern.

[signature]
Nice report and pictures -- going there tomorrow.
[signature]
Thanks for the report and the pics! Doggonefishin and I float-tubed Mud Creek last Thursday morning. It started slow for us but picked up as it got close to departure time. I started with tube jigs but switched to a ghost minnow when I had a bunch of follows with my tube jigs. My first cast on the minnow yielded a 20-incher. Caught three more before we had to leave. The Berry's going to be awesome in the next coming weeks.
[signature]