Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Huntington -- Electric Lake 9/29/07
I invited Chuck (Fishhound) to join me on what we anticipated to be a "Foul weather fishing trip" to Huntington yesterday. We were surprised at how dry it was as we left SLC at 5:00 AM and also how warm it was. Arrived at Huntington at 7:00 AM to similar conditions to SLC (although slightly cooler because of the higher altitude). I was excited to see that the boat ramp had been installed and we backed down to the bottom of the ramp, and after carrying the boat and all of our gear about 150 feet we assembled the boat and launched. The boat ramp will be a nice addition when the water is much higher than it is now. The water is about 100’ away from the ramp. Nonetheless, it is nice to get a lot closer to the water before needing to unload and carry the gear. With the addition of the ramp, the lower parking area is no longer available, which makes the already limited parking even more limited.

We were beginning to wonder what all the fuss was about until the wind started blowing at 11:00 and at 11:30 the small hail, sleet, or whatever it was began to fall the temperatures plunged. By then Chuck had managed to land two tiger trout and I had gotten one to the boat (all caught trolling while we were looking for a school of fish to vertically jig). We missed several other strikes while we were trolling; several immediately went airborne. We did try vertically jigging and got a few hits, and I had a large one on for awhile before getting off of my barbless hook, but didn't manage to land any vertically jigging. We decided that we would stow the boat away and go shore fishing at Electric Lake.

We had a little excitement on the way over. We were driving along on a snow-covered road, maybe going 35 mph, when the Suburban started skidding back and forth from one side of the road to the other, even though I had it in four-wheel drive. We eventually slid off the left side of the road (gratefully there was no oncoming traffic) took out two of the road markers and came to a stop about 20 feet off of the road. Was able to drive back up on the road and continue on to Electric Lake at an even slower pace. Gratefully, when I checked the Suburban I couldn’t find any damage from when we took out the road markers or when we slid sideways off of the road. I do need to replace my tires before winter.

Drove past the boat ramp at Electric Lake to the end of the road (at least where the locked gate is located). Parked on the point, threw out the minnow trap and started fishing. Chuck caught a nice cutt on his first cast with a rainbow Rapala. Despite many more casts that was the only fish he caught casting lures. I rigged up a bobber with a minnow (frozen minnows to start with until I was able to trap some fresh shiners). Got a few hits on frozen minnows but not many. After we caught some fresh minnows (fished dead of course) the catching greatly improved. Fishing wasn’t red hot, but we did have pretty consistent action. Most fish were caught within 15 feet of shore and many were caught much closer. At Electric Lake we experienced an almost constant snow storm (at least it was snow instead of sleet or hail), and I discovered that my $19.99 rain suit was only good for one trip, and really not even that.
Enjoyable day in the outdoors with great company.
[signature]
[black][size 3]Hey Kent,[/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Thanx for the exciting outing ! [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Indeed, it was great fishing. And once again, I had great company on, next to, and in the wet and wild outdoors. Not to leave unmentioned that we did catch some really pretty fish yesterday as well. [/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[black][size 3]I noticed you forgot to mention my trophy whopper - the 5 inch cutthroat that I caught on that 2.5 inch Rapala. But, maybe you couldn't see it very clearly through the blizzard - you were, after all, almost 30 to 40 feet away from me when I held it up.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I'm glad I brought along the bug juice and sunscreen - just in case we needed it. Maybe, next time you might consider a slight upgrade on the foul weather gear - you know, the kind that doesn't rip right off your body all by itself when the wind picks up a little bit.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]BTW - I hope your vehicle turns out to be no worse for the wear.[/size][/black]
[signature]
great pics... I love fishing in weather like that occasionally... it reminds me how nice it can be..
[signature]
wow that looked fun. [sly] great report. gald to see the boat ramp is up and working.. i think that the area around the ramp was going to be made into a parking area as well.. at lest that was the poop that was going around..

wether is looking good up there now! should not be to much longer for the ice to cap huntington.. fun fun fun.
[signature]
You guys sure braved a cold storm! Glad you made it back safely.
[signature]
Yep, I forgot about those trophy cutts that you caught.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Nobody could ever accuse you of being a "fair weather fisherman".[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I have to keep reminding myself of an old saying: "Misery loves company". Glad to see that I'm not the only one that has "exciting" incidences while fishing!
I don't know if I posted it or not, but a while back (last year or the year before), I almost lost my truck in 9-mile reservoir. We backed in, launched the boat, I tried to pull out and the back end just sunk into the mud. It was while trying to figure out what to do that we noticed that the truck was sinking further in the back and also the front tires were sinking. I've never been so muddy in my life. We made record time putting the tire chains on the front and was able to pull out...just barely though! I thought for sure I was hitchiking home that day. It's good you were able to get your rig back on the road after your incident!

Happy to see a confirmation of the boat ramp at Huntington. I wish they would have just made it go all the way down to the current water level however!

By the way, congrats on the the Moderator election! I've been out of town since last Tuesday and have missed out on some excitement!

Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
thanks for the report, glad to know i wasnt the only one out there braving the elements,[Wink] glad you didnt get stuck and no damage to the vehicle either, i had my own excitement at bear lake on saturday,[pirate] i'll try to post it this evening but have a dinner to attend so dont know if i'll get it posted but i will this week sometime, you still did better then i did cause you actually got to fish. lol[mad]

p.s. all i got to say is bear lake can be as ugly as she is beautiful and we saw her in full blown ugliness on saturday.[shocked]
[signature]
Nice report Kent and thanks for the update on the ramp, too bad they did not make the ramp a little longer but it is better than not having one. You are a brave man to go up there this time of the year when bad weather is predicted. I'm glad your side off wasn't a bad one and you were able to drive away from it.
[signature]
So I am reading this correctly they now will have a boat ramp you can back down and launch at hunnington res? They used to have all the shoreline blocked up so you had to carry a boat to the water. I would sure like to get my little 16" out on that water to troll for some tigers!
[signature]
Yes the boat ramp will be operational next spring when the res fills up. Hopefully there is a good snow fall this winter.
[signature]
In my MR Burns voice: EEEXXXCCCEEELLLENNNTTT rubbing my hands together...
[signature]
You are the Man Kent! A fair wearther fisherman you are NOT. Ya got to love those days.

Glad the burbon is unharmed and no worse for the wear. Seems that ride of yours has taken a beating over the las few years.

Thanks for the report ya put a Smile on my face. I am so looking forward to some fall and winter fishing!
[signature]