Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
kids fishing derbies (hooked on fishing)
[center][url "http://www.fishingworld.com/Kids-Fishing/Locator/Default.php"][Image: GoneFishin2.gif][/url][/center][left]find the nearest kids fishiing derby near you by clinking on the above pictures and put in your zip code.[/left] [left]these derbies are the all american kids hooked on fishing international derbies across the US[/left] [left]if you need any help feel free to give me a hollar. [/left]
[signature]
to checkout the derbies I am holding punch in 48382

my next event is on the last saturday in april.
[signature]
[Image: 0000001998.jpeg][size 4]One Big Catfish Battles Two Small Anglers. Anglers Win.
[/size] [size 4][Image: 00363e4922f939739.gif][/size][size 4][Image: spacer.gif]
[/size] [size 1]by Gordon Holland/ Hooked on Fishing International[/url][/size] [url "http://www.fishingworld.com/Kids-Fishing/NewsRead.php?ArtID=000008074#"][/url][size 1](10/23/2002)... A big catfish got the battle of its life this month when it swallowed two worms, almost simultaneously, in a fishing pond in Meridian, Mississippi. The problem for the catfish was that the nighcrawlers were attached to hooks and the hooks led up fishing lines to two young rod and reel anglers competing in the [/size][url "http://www.fishingworld.com/Kids-Fishing"][#606420][size 1]Wal-Mart Kids All-American Fishing Derby[/size][/#606420][/url][size 1]. [/size]

Skylar Moore, 6, left, and Justin Skelton, 9, both of Meridian, successfully fought and landed the catfish, which weighed 15 pounds. The young anglers have been named state co-winners in the 2002 Fujifilm "Big Fish Contest." The derby in Meridian was organized by the Meridian Parks and Recreation Department. [url "http://newsdrive.fishingworld.com/NewsDriveImages/ArticleFiles/000/00/80/74//0000001998.jpeg"][/url]
[signature]
contest in conjunction with hooked on fishng international are the local and national events ::

[size 4]Zebco kids casting contest[/size]

local winner receives rod and reel and a certificate of Accomplishment

and is entered in to the national level for a $1,000.oo savings bond.

two catigories [ol] [li]under 11 years of age[/li] [li]ages 11 to 16[/li][/ol]

[size 4]Fujifilm BIG FISH contest[/size]

contest open to all kids under age of 16 who catches the biggest fish by weight.

localy pize varies from one derby to another

nationaly the biggest fish by weight is entered from each derby (there will be only one winner for each state)

the largest salt water and largest fresh water fish caught will become co-champians and will receive a $500.oo savings bond.

(all salmon regardless of where it is caught will be considered saltwater fish)

[size 4]I caught a fish contest[/size]

each kid who catches a fish is eligable to enter this contest and is entered in to a national drawing by wall-mart in october for 3 prizes [ol] [li]$500.oo Wall-Mart gift card[/li] [li]$250.oo Wall-Mart gift card[/li] [li]$100.oo Wall-Mart gift card[/li][/ol]

so hurry up and register today so you dont get left out on dry land with out a fish. by checking for the nearest derby to you. click on the gone fishing pic at the beginning of this sting of post.
[signature]
great hook up dave ! i'll be using this for my bunch !
[signature]
[cool] really cool info !
[signature]
[cool]
[signature]
Just a reminder juniour anglers,

this week end in michigan we have a good number of kids fishing derbies comming up june 7th and 8th.

I will be working at one on both saturday and sunday.

saturday at powers beach in commerce twp

sunday , shiawassie reserve spring feild twp

to get directions to these you can click on the gone fishing pic at the top of this string, and put in the zip code, 48382

or punch in your own zip code to find a derby near you.
[signature]
[center]Ma and Pa's fishing derby saturday june 7th[/center] [center][Image: MESS6438CustomImage1392678.jpg][/center]

worker bee jon made it out to give a hand, sory about the dark photos, the day was as nice as they come, the sky was partialy clowdy. temps in the mid 70's. You could not ask for a nicer day.

how ever we could have had a better weather forcast, the entire day our weatherman kept forcasting severe thunder storms every 15 minutes. though we did not see a single drop it put a major damper of the turn for the derby. [center][Image: MESS6438CustomImage13860.jpg][/center]

we managed to pull in about 20 partisipants from park goers who had not been listening to the radio. [center][Image: MESS6438CustomImage1426844.jpg][/center]

only a few fish were caught this day, and again the gals out fished the guys. [center][Image: MESS6438CustomImage1432221.jpg][/center]

the big fish for this day was a 7 inch blue gill, coming in second at a close second was a tie, to gills messuring 6 1/2 inches and third place came in a gill at a wompng 4 inches [center][Image: MESS6438CustomImage1406754.jpg][/center]

with out a doubt every one who partisipated went home a winner with all the samples and goodies from all our sponsors, like sunglasses to see fish under water, hooks safes from bigfishtackle freshly tied walleye leaders cookies gum bobbers litteriture and catilogs from mepps miniture first aid kits from spung pants bob and lots of other goodies, if ya caught a fish at all you went home a big winner with a rod reel and tackle combo or a tackle box loaded with gear. [center][Image: MESS6438CustomImage1373141.jpg][/center] [left]having 20 partisipants I could not call it off due to threat of rain but having a good part of my set up materials left I may be able to pull off another derby some time later this year.[/left] [left] [/left]
[signature]
That was some great pictures Dave, Looked like you had a good turn out. All the kids looked liked they enjoyed the fishing. Sorry I couldn't make it to that one. It was great to hook up with you Sunday at the other derby. My kids really enjoyed it. We ended up with 9 rainbow trout. The largest trout was 16.5 inches and the smallest was 11.25. There was about 8 small gills too. Looking forward to seeing the pictures you took Sunday of everyone. I did not hear did any one catch a frog or turtle? It was kind of fuuny when we were walking out there was a small painter turtle in the grass up by the parking lot. Where was he when the contest was going on.
[signature]
fantactic ! great seeing the photo's along with the story .

great job ! all thoes kids , all thoes prises , lucky they had a guy like you there to make this happen .
[signature]
[center]Davisberg Derby june 8th 2003[/center] [center][Image: MESS6438CustomImage146436.jpg][/center] [center]as you can see our day started out as a dark and drirrary day. [/center] [center]2 hours before the derby was to start the rain sat in, now it was not any thing torential but it was a good stedy down pour that gave no sign of letting up any time soon. unlike yesterday our anglers desided to come out in the pouring rain regardless to what the weatherman said.[/center] [center]and they did, our own "stormy" being among the first to arive called me from the paking lot to see if we were still going to try to make this turky fly.[/center] [center]after about an hour of setting in the rain huddled under the tent we began the depate of weather or not to call it off and just about that time our anglers started making their trek through the tall wet grass fishing poles in hand.[/center] [center]it was only minutes before the first trout was caught in the rain [/center] [center][Image: MESS6438CustomImage1498169.jpg][/center] [center]the soaking rain trickled down to a drizzle and we were off. the fish started showing up one right after another[/center] [center][Image: MESS6438CustomImage1473726.jpg][/center] [center]some of our anglers were birnging them in two fisted[/center] [center][Image: MESS6438CustomImage14583.jpg][/center] [center]as the rain let up the fish became more active, some even showing of their jumping skills waving at the kids with their tails as they went back in to the drink.[/center] [center][Image: MESS6438CustomImage144142.jpg][/center] [center]it wasnt long before most every one had a fish to their name and many were acumilating a mass number of entries[/center] [center]Davey Crockette came up from florida with a cople fresh vine ripened watter mellons, barowing some cutlery for the rotery hot dog stand I carved open the huge mellons for the kids. [/center] [center]that was the last straw for the rain maker, he packed up his dripping sause and headed on down the road.[/center] [center][Image: MESS6438CustomImage1487436.jpg][/center] [center]rain coats started pealing as temps started rising and the air and grass dried.[/center] [center][Image: MESS6438CustomImage1503914.jpg][/center] [center]one by one every kid was in line to get their fishy mesured[/center] [center][Image: MESS6438CustomImage151454.jpg][/center] [center]umbrellas were put in to other good uses such as fish baskets for those who were still a little timmed to rub skins with the slimies[/center] [center][Image: MESS6438CustomImage152964.jpg][/center] [center]the sun even tryed to pop out, [/center] [center][Image: MESS6438CustomImage1532318.jpg][/center] [center]and the fish still kept rolling on in.[/center] [center]My camera took a dump while down loading so I ran short on picures here, I had some great ones of stormy and his family and some realy teriffic fish.[/center] [center]our biggest trout rolled in at 17 1/2 inches, only to be beat out an hour latter by a large mouth measuring in at a womping 19 and 1/2 inches taking first place.[/center] [center]the most fish caught by one angler was 17 trout[/center] [center]I will attempt to get copies of those fish I had lost and post them here.[/center] [center]in spite of the steady rain at the begining of our event we ended up with about 65% of our initial sign up (about 75 youth anglers). "GO FIGURE" [Tongue][/center]
[signature]
love that colapsable fish carrier ! lol !

great pics and story dave !
[signature]
Dave, great pictures[Smile] What happened to the camera? I was looking forward to seeing some more pictures. We had some fresh rainbow trout with morels on the grill last night for dinner and it was great. [Smile][Smile][Smile][Smile][Smile]
[signature]
it is a cheep camera and realy hard on batteries, your pic's along with the big bass and big trout and a lot more fish (30 in all) were on the back side of the camera, The battery died while down loading and I am afraid that the battery may not have had enough power at the derby on sunday to go all day.

this is not the first time this happened, I had the 35 mm in the truck but because of the rain I left it in the truck cause I did not want to get it wet.

I will pick up another battery tomarow when I am in town and hopfuly the pic's are still there in the digital camera.

I am going to find me another camera, one with good rechargable battery that goes with the camera. this buying 9 volt batteries every couple days is for the birds.
[signature]
[center].[/center] [center][Image: MESS6438CustomImage1541531.jpg][/center] [center]what time is breakfast?[/center] [center][Image: MESS6438CustomImage1562660.jpg][/center] [center]Ok where's the wattermellon?[/center] [center][Image: MESS6438CustomImage1588267.jpg][/center] [center]chantaclear and his hat finaly arived to put out the rain[/center] [center][Image: MESS6438CustomImage159485.jpg][/center] [center]remember me? I had a hot dog last year too[/center] [center][Image: MESS6438CustomImage1601140.jpg][/center] [center]stormy nets yet another trout for one of his little ones[/center] [center][Image: MESS6438CustomImage161869.jpg][/center] [center]Thanks dad for taking me fishing[/center] [center][Image: MESS6438CustomImage1626053.jpg][/center] [center]look in the bucket to see all them trout[/center] [center][Image: MESS6438CustomImage1633317.jpg][/center] [center]this young lad is catching them hand over fist[/center] [center][Image: MESS6438CustomImage1643595.jpg][/center] [center]you want me to do what with that fish? pick it up? are you for real?[/center] [center][Image: MESS6438CustomImage1655076.jpg][/center] [center]I cough this fish, is it big enough to enter in the contest?[/center] [center][Image: MESS6438CustomImage1667064.jpg][/center] [center]see that big mouth, I think he is a bigmouth bass[/center] [center][Image: MESS6438CustomImage1672861.jpg][/center] [center]the fish I caught was this big[/center] [center][Image: MESS6438CustomImage1682436.jpg][/center] [center]just fishing in the rain[/center] [center][Image: MESS6438CustomImage1694024.jpg][/center] [center][Image: MESS6438CustomImage1709958.jpg][/center] [center]some where out there is a trout with my name on it[/center] [center][Image: MESS6438CustomImage1714937.jpg][/center] [center]look at this monster I cought[/center] [center][Image: MESS6438CustomImage1726716.jpg][/center] [center]we still except master trout, dont leave home with out it.[/center] [center][Image: MESS6438CustomImage1571308.jpg][/center] [center]I traided in my big mouth bass for this rod and reel combo[/center]
[signature]
[center][size 5]Parks and Recreation[/size][/center]

[center][size 4]The Fish Are Biting In Farmington[/size] [Image: fishfam.jpg][/center]

[font "Verdana"][size 3]A[/size] cooperative effort between Farmington and Farmington Hills - the Annual Shiawassee Park Fishing Derby - is held each year on the day trout season opens. Hundreds of children, along with their parents, fill Farmington's Shiawassee Park and fish the River Rouge.[/font]

[font "Verdana"]Creating a fishing experience right in town was no easy venture. Officials from the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) and Oakland County Health Department are called in each year to test water quality. In the last two years, the stretch of the Rouge River has been so clean, the DNR has certified the Derby as a "catch and keep" program.[/font]

[font "Verdana"][Image: japfish.jpg][/font]

[font "Verdana"]It is great fun to watch the reaction of the kids as they pulled the fish out of the river. "The kids are usually lined-up elbow to elbow along the bank," says one Fishing Derby official. "I remember last year, when someone hollered, 'I got one,' and everyone pitched in to help net the fish. It is a whole lot of fun."[/font]

[font "Verdana"]Trout live in pretty places, and the City of Farmington has the good fortune of having a beautiful park and a clean river as well.[/font]

[font "Verdana"]About 70 percent of the fish (out of about 250 released each year) are caught. Some people bring fancy poles and tackle, while others simply use sticks with string. It doesn't matter. The fish are always biting and everyone has fun, "Just sitting on the riverbank and fishing with their kids," as one Farmington City Council person said.[/font]

[font "Verdana"]Of their Fishing Derby experience, many people said they seldom had the chance to fish for trout. And, some said they caught BIGGER trout here than up in northern Michigan. (A fish story?) Regardless, we're looking forward to another blue-sky Fishing Derby for next year - and you're invited![/font]
[signature]
FISH STORY ? LOL , I RESEMBLE THAT REMARK !

ACTUALLY I COUGHT MY FIRST EVER TROUT IN FLATROCK 10" , NOT AN EATER EITHER DUE TO A RAW SEWERAGE SPILLAGE . BUT THE MOST MEMORIBLE TROUT EVER .

HAVING THE CHANCE TO CATCH A TROUT IN A POPULATED AREA IS THE BEST THING THAT ANY KID COULD DREAM OF HAPPENING . HEARING STORIES LIKE THIS DOES ME GOOD . D.N.R. GETS A TWO THUMBS UP FROM ME ON THIS . I HOPE THE PROGRAM EXPANDS TO OTHER STREAMS AND CREEKS TOO .

COUGHT MY FIRST "STREAM" BROWN TROUT YESTERDAY , 18" . MADE ME FEEL LIKE A KID AGAIN , JUST COULDN'T WAIT TO SHOW IT OFF TO THE WIFE . I WAS DARNED PROUD OF MYSELF .

I GAVE IT TO MY UNCLE , HIS KNEES DON'T LET HIM FISH ANYMORE , HE LOVES A GOOD TROUT MEAL . I DON'T KNOW WHO ENJOYED THE FISH MORE , HIM OR ME .
[signature]