Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Fishfinder
I just received my new toy in the mail yesterday! [cool][cool][cool][cool][cool] Not that I'm excited or anything. I purchased an Eagle Cuda 128 from Cabelas ($79 before shipping $88 w/shipping). I had the 12v battery I bought locally charged in anticipation of its arrival and hooked it up. It has a simulation option so you can tinker with the settings to get the ones you want. It has a ton of great features for the price, including water temp, fish-id, and zoom features.

Now I just have to get it set-up on the 'toon. I would love to see any pics or illustrations of fishfinder set-ups for pontoons. Visibility of the screen is my main issue. If I dont take my oars, it isn't a problem. I also have a lap net (sorry TD I forgot what they are called) that could obstruct visibility and access. I look forward to your great ideas! When I get everything set up, I'll post some pics.

ES
[signature]
[cool]Won't be no livin' with ya, now that you have joined the electronic age of fishing on your 'toon Hope it helps you find and catch some more fish, and doesn't just leave you frustrated when you can see the fish you aren't catchin' It happens to me...a lot. My wife and I are always saying "I'm seeing a lot more than I'm catching." But, if nothing else, sonar helps you eliminate water with low probability.

On my new Fat Cat, there is a soft pocket at the front of the main tackle pocket, that I suspect is designed to hold a drink can. I immediately spotted it for a sleeve, into which I could insert a base mount for my sonar display. I cut a piece of 2" PVC pipe, the length of the pocket, and used a single small bolt down through the center of the mounting bracket and into the PVC. It is tight enough to hold firmly in place, but also allows for swiveling the display to be easily visible from any light angle.

If you don't have a pocket, you can always run a strap through the PVC and buckle it down tight before finishing the final airing up. This will anchor the display unit in place, but will allow for easy removal for packing up at the end of the trip.

I have "jury-rigged" my display attachment a hundred different ways. Most of them involve running yellow nylon rope through the mounting holes on the bracket, attaching them to D Rings and then using the quick connect screws to attach the display panel before launching.

Here are some pics I took while playing with my new Fat Cat setup. I think the Cuda will have a similar mounting bracket. Whatever you come up with, take some pics and I will keep them in the file for future reference. I know Xman is looking at that same unit right now, to put on the Kennebec he just got from me. He liked the Eagle Fish Easy, but is anxious to try the new features on the Cuda. I told him I would put it together for him and test it out if he wanted me to. I would like a chance to try it on the water, to see if it delivers the performance needed. The good news is that we don't need speed indicators and all that fancy stuff. I do like the thermometer though. That will save me having to buy another swimming pool thermometer every couple of years. At about $4 apiece, that adds up.

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage106521.jpg]

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage1079084.jpg]

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage1125855.jpg]

Note the battery in a card file box...in the pocket. Also, the white PVC rod is what the transducer is attached to at the bottom. The PVC rod snaps into broom handle clips on the rod rack and slides up and down for launching and beaching...and for removal and storage.
[signature]
Brilliant! Broom clip handles! Never would have thought of that one. This is why I come to this board. I have some old straps with clips from back packing equipment that I bet I could use. The nice thing about 'toons is the frames can be used instead of relying on air pressure to hold things steady.

Exciting days!!!! The Cuda doesn't display actual speed, it just works at high speed. Not that I'll even be hitting 5 mi/hr anytime soon. If one has the budget, I would recommend the Cuda 168. Same features as the 128 but the resolution of the screen is better. It goes for $99 at Cabelas.

I'll be visiting the hardware store tonight to pick-up some material! Pictures by the end of the weekend!

ES
[signature]