Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yuba Perch
Looks like you can Harvest perch at Yuba once again.

The Utah Wildlife Board approved last week a long anticipated regulation allowing anglers to keep yellow perch at Yuba Reservoir starting Jan. 1, but many anglers say it is too little, too late.
The Board approved a 10-fish limit for yellow perch at Yuba and included a mandatory catch-and-keep on the fish between Jan. 1 and April 30.
[signature]
I thought that line looked familiar. I read it in the paper this morning. For the rest of the story read
http://www.sltrib.com/outdoors/ci_7139545
[signature]
Hurray! However, I am one who believes that the Yuba fishery would have been better now had this action been taken earlier.
[signature]
Yes Lloyd, but more or the Pike & Walleyes !
[signature]
To little to late what a waste of a fishery the perch are already stunting at yuba soon the pike will follow and forget about the walleyes they will have nothing to munch on especially when the perch are eating themselves. They took care of the fatheads minnows now there is really nothing to sustain them but probably the carp roe hopefully.
[signature]
Maybe, maybe not. On Jan 1 a new predator will be introduced to Yuba. Instead of eating 1 or 2 6" perch a day, this predator will eat 10 per day.
I have fished pike a long time, they prefer to eat small perch, 5-7", not 10-12". Walleys also prefer small perch, 3-5".
We all know that 5" perch spawn, as do 12" perch. Yuba's problem is water levels, balme the DWR all you want, but water is the determining factor in Yuba as to wether perch have a successful spawn or not.
Where did all the 12" perch go? I saw none floating any of the times I was there this year, did they die? Get eaten? Get poached? (most likely). I'll wait and see.
See you all on Yuba on the 1st.
[signature]
old news but good to let all who have not heard about it know..

i have fished yuba about 10 times this year. i must say it is on the downword swing allredy. lack of water and way to meny perch have takein a toll on the lake.. the perch are not as big as last year and there is not as meny as last year ether...

i think the chash is allready in progres there! with another bad water year stairing utah in the face will only make it worse!

way to little way way to late!! [pirate]

maybe some day the Utah DWR will luarn not to manage perch like trout!! but i dout it!
[signature]
[reply]
Maybe, maybe not. On Jan 1 a new predator will be introduced to Yuba. Instead of eating 1 or 2 6" perch a day, this predator will eat 10 per day.

Where did all the 12" perch go? I saw none floating any of the times I was there this year, did they die? Get eaten? Get poached? (most likely). I'll wait and see.
See you all on Yuba on the 1st. [/reply]
Are they stocking more pike in there is that what you are saying? If so that is a good thing .The yuba pike that are in there right now do not discriminate against size. They will grab those 16 inch bows in there. I have caught several with teeth marks on them. Also its going to take a whole lotta pike and eyes to make a difference there. I do think that poaqching has been happening at yuba for those bigger perch plus they are already stunted. The ones i have been catching have been long and skinny. I will be there Jan 1 hopefully there wont be any ice there because the ice gets really at yuba it scares me. Plus i really dont want to walk a long way to favorite spot.[Tongue] I am going back to yuba saturday to do some exploring i will see what condition the perch are.
[signature]
No, Ocean, the new predator is you and I and those lovely children we bring with us. I'm all for quantity because it keeps the kids happy. As well as anybody else who goes to Yuba to fish perch. I know I will personally put a hurt on them this year, we can fillet them right there legally so you can expect me to eat my 10 before the clock strikes midnight, then 10 more.

Let me pose this question, the perch in Rockport are no bigger, are they stunted? The perch in Pineview are no bigger, are they stunted? The perch in Jordenelle are no bigger, are they stunted?
Mantua, they are stunted, for sure.
Pineview had Muskies put in to help the stunting of panfish and it worked great, why have the pike worked out as well, even with help from the walleyes.

Many claim that those two predators will keep the perch stunting in check, but many say that is not so. Which is it?
[signature]
Troll you are getting me excited about Jan1 !![Wink] Boy i can just taste those fillets!! We should have a perch fry Jan1 . About pike they usually take over a body of water they are in but that does not seem to happen at yuba.There is more and bigger pike in there right now than before it got drained so maybe yuba will become a trophy pike fishery instead of a walleye water. Dont get me wrong i love to eat walleye but pike are tasty as well and fight a ton more than walleyes. I hope the perch thrive and keep getting big and fat but i dont see what they are going to get fat on besides each other. To bad they didnt stock some eyes because its gonna take a long time before they are in there in numbers. I also find it funny that they kept promoting that the walleyes are back in yuba. I guess they need to get some more park fees to pay for all the rebuilding of yuba. The place looks great and is a great place to water ski right now.
[signature]
Troll There is no stunted perch in any place you named.....

You have ten inch perch in all and a few bigger, perch don't get the same size in all lakes + it takes time for perch to grow... The average is 1 1/2 to 2" per year to get to ten inches it takes four to five years you look at the number of hook they have to miss in five years to live.....

[signature]
Mantua perch are stunted. But a few big ones here and there. Rockport is not stunted at all. Jordanelle stunted, and crashed already. Pineview stunted and crashed because of the 20 statewide limit. By the time it changed back to 50 it was too late. They had already crashed. Starting to recover but the drought and muskies won't let them recover. Echo.....stunted and crashed....now they are bigger. Each water has a limited food base and perch eat lots of plankton as well as small invertabrates. Deer creek has scuds so the perch have better forage there. Saw the scuds in stomach analysis contents in perch from deer. Mantua perch feed heavily on small bluegills about the size of a dime. Pineview perch stomachs contain repetitively mainly plankton.....daphnia specficially. Rockport has really large specimens of daphnia in the perch stomachs. Depends on the nutrients available in a particular year. Echo.....daphnia also. Most other panfish feed on plankton the majority of the time too. Crappies, bluegills etc. Crappies in pineview have extra forage....a unique species of aquatic worm. They gain more weight than crappies elsewhere.
That's my point, the perch in Yuba are not stunted yet and it is our duty as concerned fishers that we fish Yuba often and kill 10 perch each time for each person.
It's nice to see a Bio's opinion. Daphnia are a major food source for many panfish, Daphnia are most common where there is a high concentration of zoo plankton. In Yuba I would bet that the highest concentration of plankton, daphnia and the perch that feed on them are dispersed over the shallow inlet area. Those flooded fields with all the channels.
I've never fished up there, there is a sign that says it is posted.
[signature]
the flooded fields are posted? what road are you takeing?
the old boat ramp area is posted privet. but your not go it get to the south bay on that road anyway.. but the south end is open from a lot of difrent roads. well ok 1 road that branches out all around the lake.. if you find your self in that area you'll be fishing mud flats maybe 2" deep.. good luck on that.. now if the water can get up in them trees and brush back in there,there will be a good spown for the perch next year.. i would not count on it tho.. the lake is in despret need of water.. not going to happen if we have a winter like last year.. the water user's will not cut use to save the fish they do not care how much money or time have been put into the lake.. it's there water and they are going to use it! if the DWR is ever going to have a chance of keep it a top fishery then some water rights well have to be aquired or get the users to show some restrant of there use.. again probly not going to happen! Sadley it will be the same thing for a lot of lakes in the state..
[signature]
ok Fin-s-fish if i'm reading troll's post right he is saying your a biologist? if so then maybe you can shed some light on Yuba for the rest of us.. what do you think is going to happen to the perch in yuba when the water level drops even more than it is now. with a growing number of carp in the lake? it's my understanding that carp also feed on the daphnia and zoo plankton. so what is going to happen when the bio-mass of the lake is 60% to 80% carp? i would not be surprized of it is not allredy in the area of 80% the carp are thick in there now.
[signature]
Let me straighten something out right now, when I say bioligist, I mean someone who knows the bioligy of the prey cycle of fishes.

You seem to know them too, so rather than a person who thinks it starts with the minnows, you understand it starts with phyto plankton, daphnia and then the minnows. In my eyes, your a bioligist too.

I do not mean a Bioligist for the DWR or any other professional capacity.
[signature]
ok sorry for jummping the gun there.. i still would be intrested in what anser to the qustion would be.. see i'm not a bioligist but i did spend the last 3 weeks in a holiday inn express!! [sly]

ok all kidding aside. the one factor is see at work in Yuba that is not presant in some of the other lakes you listed is the carp.. i have fished Yuba for 30 some odd years my grandpa cut the key stons in the dam and ran the equipment that made it. he fished it tell the day he died. he showed me a lot on how to fish it.. but he allway said that the carp were going to be the death of that lake.. and i have noted that every time there is a crash of the perch there is a spike in the carp.. maybe they are conected?
[signature]
I hate carp!![mad] They are like a hemoroid you cant get rid off they just keep coming back!!!! [Tongue]
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Why Yuba will never work as a consistent great fishery - PIKE! For those of you that don’t remember, back in the 80’s the DWR biologist officer over Redmond Lake was given the opportunity to get his hands of a bunch of pike at a great price – Free! His decision to plant the pike cost him his job and ruined the Sevier Drainage. Granted the Carp in Yuba are a problem – but like the trout, the Carp with feed on aquatic insects and zooplankton, whereas the pike, and walleye all require other fish to sustain life. I can tell you for a fact the biologist over Yuba was not in agreement with the biologist that decided to postpone the harvesting of perch in 2007 – he too believed that they are a limited commodity and should be enjoyed by the public while we have them. For those of you that are under the dilution that Yuba can be a self-sustaining perch/walleye fishery even with ideal water levels and limiting harvesting of them, well… you are sorely mistaken. Out of the reservoirs mentioned that have self-sustaining perch, how many of them have pike in them? Pike will not discriminate on size. A 30+ inch pike will have no problem eating a 12-15 inch perch or rainbow or tiger trout or walleye. So… what’s the answer? Poisoning? Not likely, Yuba is 3 times the size of Jordanelle – besides, you’ll never get the rough fish out of the drainage. Personally I think the answer is stop managing it as a warm water fishery. So much money and man-hours have been put into this reservoir and for what, 2-3 years out of 10 of just okay walleye and perch fishing? History has shown that Yuba can and would be a great trout fishery. Trout do not need forage fish to sustain them. Plant tiger trout and cutthroat to help keep the rough fish population in check and plant rainbows for everything else.[/size][/font]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"] [/font][/size]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Here is a photo of Yuba rainbow that went 25 inches. This fish was only 2 years old.[/size][/font]
[url "http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w304/improvfisherman/Yuba-6.jpg"][font "Times New Roman"][size 3]http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w304/improvfisherman/Yuba-6.jpg[/size][/font][/url]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Anyway... that’s my two cents for what it’s worth.[/size][/font]
[signature]
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound so harsh, I just didn't want to put Fin-S on the spot.

I hate carp to. Your father was right, carp will be the death of Yuba, they've already killed Utah Lake and might kill Willard.
The thing is that any crash of anything in a densely populated fishery will effect everything else. The carp start out tiny too, I would bet many species of small fishes perch, walleye and pike prey on them at that stage. Problem is that carp grow very rapidly in the beginning stages and to soon become to large for even the largest predators, even pike and muskies to eat.

In hind-sight, we should have gone after the carp when the thing was drained for dam repairs.
[signature]