Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rutting buck
Last night I stood in the stand freesing my tail off , that last warm spell shure is missed now .
Just before dusk a doe finally showed up , very skiddish and with good reason , the bigger six point was hot on her tail . I went full draw as she passed knowing the buck would only give me one shot .
She passed the stand a good 10 yards away , he scoped the situation out and tried to head her off diagonally , that put him on my 20 yard pin .
That's when things went crazy , he froze right behind a small cluster of saplings , one step either way and I thought I could get one stick off I thought . He turned and took a step closer instead, nothing between him and I but one stinking little branch a third of the way out !!!!
I thought about risking the shot but didn't seem like it would do the trick so I let off on my draw . I didn't want to spook either from returning to the area , The bigger 6 point would easily score a 120 to 130 , man what massive tines he's got !
I'm stumped , What to do when the does are being chased , you can't predict where they will travel when a rutting buck is going wild , I don't think the does themselves know where to head .
What would you do ?
Move the stand to another location ?
Set out some doe piss and wait for a buck ?
Set out some tarsal and see if the buck will investigate ?
What would you do if your stand was on the cross runways of does and a solitary rutting buck ?

On another note , on the way home there were some cows in the road , someone decided to open up a freinds pasture fence . I hearded them back twards the gate but had little expearance moving cows around . I jumped back in the truck and headed to the guys place , woke him up and gave him the news .
Him, his wife and I went back put the cows back in and did a quick count , all were back in .
Betcha never had a weird end to a hunt like that have you ? What was the weirdest end you have had hunting ?
[signature]
Two buttonbucks came in on some tarsal gland today , had two does come in as well , one was tree-shy , guess she had a run-in with another bowhunter already .
Waiting on the big boy still .
Anyone else seeing anything ?
[signature]
I saw the side of the road was lousy with cars along side state lands.. I dont want to go in for two reasons, I dont want to spook the deer I might shoot later by going in now, and I dont want to spook a deer another hunter is looking for now...
[signature]
Nothing comming in on the A.M. hunt , I should set up another stand for that .
Pm hunt has little more than does showing up .
Waiting on another buck , keeping my fingers crossed .
[signature]
5:20 P.M. a 4 point came in , nose to the ground zipping all over like a puppy dog on new carpet .
A little while later a single doe came by , then a group of 4 does wandered thru .
Waiting on another buck .................
[signature]
with that storm comming though a couple nights ago, glad to see you did not get blown away...

a tonado hit near my shack, I am waiting to hear if it is still standing in one peice...
[signature]
I had to bail 10" of water out of the boat and move a small tree branch off the road .
I guess we were lucky , lots of wind ,rain and lightning .
[signature]
The trail cam cought 12 more does during the night , no bucks [Sad].
I still have the little 4 point comming in to keep me entertained during the evening hunt [laugh].

Yesterday I set up a second stand near the thick stuff , the shooting distance is limited to about 10 yards max . I'll be using tarsal to see if I can get a nosey buck to investigate the intruder [Wink] .
Started the wood pile for winter , plenty of maple ,oak and burch trees that blew down over the last year .
[signature]
had three in my front yard this evening my self..

they was lookin mighty taisty, got a doe tag to fill, to bad I didnt see them in the woods a couple miles over...
[signature]
Nothing at the first stand site tonight , trail cam shows 6 pics for the last 24 hrs.
I'll stop by on the way home and see if it picks up more .
[signature]