Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Power Augers
I was wondering if you guys could give me some input on power augers. My wife and father in law are planning on getting me a power auger for christmas. I know christmas is a little ways away but they are trying to get a jump start on the presents. I want a light weight 8 inch power auger that isn't much more than 300 dollars. I was planning on getting the Eskimo Mako however I was at cabelas and the sales guy there was saying that they didn't even carry eskimo anymore because they had so many problems. He told me I should get a strikemaster. So I was wondering if I should get a Eskimo mako, a Strikemaster Mag 2000, or a Jiffy Whitelightning. They are all in the some price range. Some recommendations would be highly appreciated. Thanks.
[signature]
I have a mako with an "8" inch blade. I have it now for 3 years and works fine. Only problem i had with it was that i didnt frain the gas and left it sit for a year. I ran some sea foam and it works fine now. Hope this helps.
[signature]
I would go with the strikemaster, I've had one for 3 yrs and no problems with engine or blade. They are the top of the line, no question.
[signature]
I work for the state and we have a 10" Stikemaster mora power auger (model is no longer being made). It is 24 years old and has drilled literally thousands of holes (not exaggerating either) and the engine has never been rebuilt and still runs like a champ. We just add Stabil to the gas each summer and its ready to go the next year. Its louder than the new augers out there, but it starts easy. Strikemaster is a company that has been around forever and sticks by their products in case you ever have any problems.
[signature]
I have been strolling the ice cap every winter for nearly my inter 54 years, my clan stem from MN. And to me NOTHING including "that" is more exciting than tapping into big fish through a ice hole.
I own 2 S/M power augers. The first one I bought 18 years ago (as close as I can recall), a 8 inch Mag III with the clipper blade (the best blade set up I think was ever installed on a power auger). I up graded to a 10" three years ago. Not because the 8" gave up, its still running strong, but rather to be able to figure 8 two 10" holes at FG, BL etc...
No doubt about it, StrikeMaster's tend to be more pricy than other brands but its my honest belief you get what you pay for then it come to ice augers, power or otherwise. I dont want to jinx myself but I have NEVER had a problem with my strikemaster's other than needing to replace the blades and spark plug now and then due to over use. Sure I could merely clean the plug but I'm lazy. (Which should also give you a hint as to why I owen StrikeMaster's. LOL)
In MHO,, If you want a power auger you can depend on for years and in all types of weather conditions, you cant do better than a StrikeMaster, bare none.........
[signature]