Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fly Tying Station
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#800000][size 3]Two quick questions... [/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#800000][size 3][/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#800000][size 3]Has anyone here built themselves a fly tying station.. and if so.. [/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#800000][size 3].. would you care to share your handywork including materials and plans.. or maybe a website that will give that information...[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#800000][size 3]MacFly [cool][/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
As a matter of fact.... since I got the Vosseler Vise, I use a plexiglass cutting board for the vise and a coffee cup to hold my tools...how is that for home made.[cool]
[signature]
....[sly][sly] .. only you sis would keep it that simple.. I have seen one blueprint where the person making the station used three wooden cutting boards that he bought at Walmart as a set.. now that is keeping it simple as well.. [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[#005028][cool]Hey Buddy - check your e-mail for additional feedback.[/#005028]
[signature]
...I shall do as you ask and feedback to you.. thank you in advance.... [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I like your set up. That is pretty custom.[cool]
[signature]
..just checked your email and responded.. I think you should share that info here.. I think the setup looks great.. but like I said in the email... for now I am just looking for a station like the ones made by oasis .. more of a tray than a desk.. but I do hope to incorporate it into a desktop setup in the future...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Mac, I have two stations. Both are real nice but one is a little beat up. The other is the one I got from Orvis. If you want it, it is yours for freight.
[signature]
how can I turn down such an offer.. pm with the details please and lets see what happens.. [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[center][#005028][cool]Hey Mac now here is your chance to get in on an Orvis special. For just a mere $1195 the Alderwood cherry desk can be yours. LOL[/#005028]
[#005028][/#005028][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=30234;]
[#005028][/#005028]
[/center]
[signature]
Nothing that elaborate. But someday I will have my roll top desk for my tying.
[signature]
...lol I got that same email today.. that is a little rich for my blue collar bankroll...

.. I am not sure if I told ya'll before but my brother in law is big into fly tying... he does some great work.. over the years he has had different setups but have to tell you his latest is awesome..

.. picture a custom made desk.. like a large ceo type desk.. dang thing takes up most of his den.. beautiful oak wood.. on one end is his tying setup.. light.. magnifier.. vise.. on the other end is a turning machine of some sort for helping him to make his own rods.. in the center of this desk is a flat screen computer monitor.. sounds normal so far.. but. the computer monitor is mounted on a round pedestal so that he can rotate it to where ever he is sittin.... now here is the topper.. the pedestal goes up and down.. thats right I said up and down.. so if he is not using the computer he can lower it all out of his way.. now how awesome is that.. ??

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
... will this be a store bought desk or a custom made one. something tells me it will be custom made.. but that is just a guess... [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[#005028][cool]The only choice for the buyer is whether then want a right or left hand station. Otherwise what you see is what you get. Apparently they only made a limited number available for sale. BTW is your brother-in law a pro tier or just has loose bucks to throw around?[/#005028]
[signature]
...Id say he is a pro tyer..he has been fly fishing and tying flies for years.. if you ask him he would say he is good at it thats all.. Im gonna have to get my sister in law to take some pictures of his setup and flies etc..

...as far as loose bucks goes.. all I can say for sure is that he accepted the cost of the sport a long long time ago.. he gets to buy his new toys for his hobby and his wife gets a kitchen makeover.. so I guess it does balance out at some point in time.. [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Here is the one I sent Mac. A little scuffed but, all in all a $79. board for under $15. I think he will enjoy. Plus some hackle for them smaller guys...he,he,he.

[inline "Orvis Fly Tying.jpg"]

By the way Mac, the peg with the black thread in the front is the one that is missing, other that that, what you see is what you are getting minus the extras. There is the magnetic strip for hooks on the little chunk of wood in the top middle. I guess the chunk of wood is for posting cards with recipes (do what you want with that)
[signature]
... that is simply awesome sis, I am sure it will fit my needs perfectly. As far as the broken spindle I will look at it and decide what to do with it once I get it set up and use it a little bit. When I looked on the orvis site yesterday I noted the "recipe card" holder in the back and thought what a great idea. Of course that lead to another thought that I will think about for a bit and pass on/ask about later.

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[#005028][cool]Wow & a vise too! I don't think so. Hey FGD that was real thoughtful of you to send that along to Mac. Cool. [/#005028]
[signature]
...now I know I missed something on this one but I am afraid to ask.. so I wont.. [angelic]... I am just a lucky man who has a sis like FG who takes care of me like this.. who could ask for anything more ?? not me.. [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
That is a nice looking set up. I can dig it all except for the magnetic hook holder. I tried that in the past but it doesn't work with the 400 series stainless hooks that I use nor the bronze.

I guess it would work with the Pflueger hooks though.[cool]
[signature]