Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua Trout
Has anyone fished Mantua lately?
[signature]
Love the avatar, but just a heads up, the mods will ask you to reduce the size of it.

I haven't fished Mantua for trout this year, but in years past I have done well on the trout this time of year using good old worm and a mallow from shore. [cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Welcome aboard. And...as you have been warned...you will need to reduce the size of your avatar pic. Maximum width is 150 pixels. PM me if you need help in resizing. You are a handsome devil though, if that is a pic of you. Shoulda been holding a fishing rod or a fish for better effect.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Haven't heard any reports from Mantua for a couple of weeks, but the weather has been up and down and not many people getting out. Before that there were still good reports of perch, bluegills and a few small bass. The fish will be moving into the deeper (20 - 22 feet) spots toward the middle of the lake.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you want trout, use your sonar to watch for fish cruising at middepth and then drag flies or lures at that level. The trout will also cruise near the bottom, so when you soak lures or bait for the spiny rays you will also hook the occasional rainbow or cutt.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As the water cools, the heavy weed growth dies off in the shallower water. There will still be patches of it hanging on in deeper water, and when you can find some there will often be fish hanging around it. Sonar is vital to finding the fish, but once you find them you can usually catch them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you go, please post a report...good or bad.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks for the info. Tried to resize avatar but so far no luck-keeps going back to the original size.
[signature]
Looks like you got your avatar fixed. I fished Mantua 9 days ago:

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=368233;#368233"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=368233;#368233[/url]
[signature]
Yep, got avatar fixed, took awhile tho. Thanks for info.
[signature]

[reply]
Love the avatar, but just a heads up, the mods will ask you to reduce the size of it.

Just curious as to why you would bring up avatar size when you are out of compliance yourself .
[signature]
I was out there two weekends ago. Was on my way to Logan and could only stop for a few hours. Didn't break out the tube either so it was shore fishing for me.

Started fishing on the west end at about 5pm and left before 7. It was snowing a little and pretty chilly. I was flinging a hopper and dropper on my flyrod. Usually a pheasant tail or some other random flies I tie as the dropper. Getting action on both flies although a lot more on the dropper. Missed many strikes but pulled in 3 'bows, just over 12-14" I'd say. Most hits came along the outside edge of the weedline, anywhere from 10 to 25 ft from shore.

Beautiful and quiet out there. The canyon was turning and everything was red with a light dusting of snow. No one else on or even near the water! A lot of fun. Attached are a few pics of the view. Didn't get any pics of the fish as I was trying to keep my hands as dry as possible!
[signature]
Thanks for reply. Sounds like a nice time fishing Mantua. Didn't get to go there last weekend, but have a trip planned to Strawberry this Thursday.
[signature]