Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Small game hunting results ?
Who is doing what and how is it going ?
I'de really like to hear how things are shaping up thruout the state , any replys would be welcome .
Thanks !
[signature]
I wasn't going to go small game hunting this year. But then I was reading on the DNR web site and found out....

"No license is required for a resident, resident's spouse or resident's children to hunt small game on the enclosed farmlands where they live"

Cool !!!

It's been a while since I've had fried rabbit dinner. No one else in the house will eat them so I'll probably only put a couple in the freezer.

Hmmm.... I havn't cleaned a rabbit since I was like 13. Can't be that hard... any tips anyone?
[signature]
rabbit hid is so tender you dont even need a knife. I know a few guys who just rip the hide off a bunny like pulling feathers off a chicken...

it realy depends on if you want to save the hide for tanning...

first method is casing...
[ol] [li]cut the front feet off[/li] [li]I cut a slid along the back end from one foot to the other. [/li] [li]cut the skin around both ankles[/li] [li]gently pull the hide back away from around the tain, [/li] [li]grab the tail and pull the puff off with out ripping it off the hide, real easy to do "ripping it off the hide and pulling it off the tail bond" so be careful, that is if you want to save the tail.[/li] [li]gently pull the hide down to the sholder blades [/li] [li]with your fingers work the front legs out, when you get the joint past the skin you can push your finger though and pull the hide clear[/li] [li]at this point you can stop and have a taxidermist finish for you or go on if you dont mind doing the work your self. [/li] [li]pull the hide aroun to near the ears, cut the cartlage of the ears[/li] [li]pull the hide around the eyes then cut the hide clear from the eyes, if your good you can get the eye lashes.[/li] [li]pull to the mouth then slowly start cutting the hide clear from the mout and pull at the same time, be carefull not to go to fast because you dont want to rip the hide off the nose, when you get to the nose you can cut the nose off to the buck teeth.[/li][/ol]
the above is harder to do on a bunny than it is on a deer, but a muskrat is far easier than a deer.

then there is the fastest way of skinnin a bunny... [ol] [li]cut the feet and head off first[/li] [li]make a small slit in the middle of the back and rip the skin right off in both directions.. [/li][/ol]

dont forget the brown gravey and mashed taters...[Tongue]
[signature]