Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Almost skunked at the Berry
[crazy] So, after reading everyone's success stories at Strawberry I decided to take my father-in-law to try and hook him into some big fish. We went early before dawn got to Soldier Creek around 7:20am and only caught two fish over the next four hours! It was really frustrating. Granted we were shore fishing since we don't have a boat but I tried every technique that you have all posted about. We knew that the fish were there because we could see them feeding early in the morning. Even more annoying was getting caught up in the weeds. We tried another spot on our way back, near the Ladders but it wasn't that good either.

Does anyone have any suggestions for shore fishing around The Berry? Spots different lures? We tried the obvious white tube jig, worms, ghost rappalas (sorry I can't justify paying $15 for one lure). Also, what was weird is that since I was mad at the fish in Strawberry, I wanted to at least catch some more and tried Deer Creek on my way home. I didn't get anything! I tried near the Island and got skunked! I pretty much threw everything in my tackle box at them and they didn't even take a second look. Weird. Does anyone know what's going on there at DC? Tips? This all happened Saturday 10/27. I guess it just was a cursed day for me to catch fish. Even though we didn't really catch anything we had fun and a beautiful sunrise!
[signature]
You might give a minnow under a slip bobber a try.
[signature]
Let me ask you a question, witch is cheaper or better a lure that costs $2.00 and doesn't catch fish or one that costs $15. and catches lots of fish????

How much did you pay for gas to go fishing on this day???

How many fish did you catch per dollar spent on lures????
[signature]
I know where you're coming from. I also have a hard time justifying paying that much for a lure. Like Cliff said, it may be worth it because it catches a lot of fish, and I won't argue with that. The thing I do have a hard time with, is WHY do they have to be that spendy? Answer: because people will keep buying them no matter what the price. So as long as the money keeps coming in, why lower the price? lol

Kinda like these new cars and trucks you see people driving around in. All the power to them, but at the end of the day, it's just transportation.
[signature]
If it makes you feel better I was tubing with my brother up there on Saturday for 3 hours and I only landed one and missed 2 or 3 others. Last year this time we were killing them were I was fishing but this yeaars has been different. I think you just have to find where they are and then have the right stuff - a boat definitely helps to cover the lake to find them. I caught mine on a pointer but also lost one while casting - $15 is too expensive but they do work dang well. The berry is acting a little different for me this fall so i am in the same boat as you - still looking for them because I know that I have the gear that works!
[signature]
The truth is that lucky crafts are made better and work better, I have yet to pull one out of the package and not have it run true....

Some times you get what you pay for, every lucky craft is tested where Rapala's they only test 1 out of 50....
[signature]