Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Product Idea Survey
Looking for feedback on a new product that's coming out on the market next year. Pretty simple idea - give it a thought and let me know what you think:
The product is basically this: clear, plastic rod bags. They come on a roll of 50 in a cardoard dispenser - about the size of a toilet paper roll - dispenses out of a box like Saran Wrap. Slide your rod/reel combos in them - prevents tangles with other rods during transport, keeps them clean and dry, good for winter storage. Inexpensive especially if you have a lot of rods (if you're like me, you've accumulated 50 or more!) - the nifty rod storage cases are spendy. Reuse them or dispose of them if you wish.
He gave me one of his rolls that he developed in the prototype stage and they worked great, especially hauling a bunch of muskie sticks up to Lake of the Woods last summer in my rod locker - kept 'em clean dry, and no more tangles! Plastic was heavy enough that I could leave the lures attached with little-to-no issues hooking into the plastic.
Helping a friend do a little market research. What are your thoughts? Thanks
[signature]
I do like the consept, but still I have to throw a monkey wrench in....

aside from the many types of rods, two peice one peice and multitude of lenths, and you have reel sizes up to 10 - 12 inch in circomfrance you still have to deal with people wanting to stick hooks in side the bag with their rods... Say what you will, say what you might, that will be the case more often than not... I am as guilty as any one else for grabing my stuff from time to time and throwing them in the bottom of the boat or back of the truck with hooks or lures still on....

If you wish to persu this venture you will need to make your plastic rod socks with the heaviest gage plastic available, as heavy or heavier than the industrial steel bags... I think it is 10 mill.

If it comes in a roll of 25 to 50 would be a good count, those of us who run youth fishing durbies could take advantage of an item like this...

You may also want to throw in a bag of rubber bands or tie wires to close the socks...

If you decide to put the product in to production, you are most welcome to put up a few rolls for testing on our product testers board. I know my self and at least one other moderator who can put this product to a road test for you....

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?forum=80;"][#333366][size 1]Product Testers Wanted[/size][/#333366][/url]
[size 1]Apply to test Free Gear & read gear reviews. (Registered User Board)[/size]
[signature]
It would have to be a thick plastic. My covers now are plastic of some sort and may last one to two seasons. I would think of buying a roll if I knew it could last more than one or two trips.
[signature]
Thanks for the feedback! Good words. Yes, when I can get my hands on some prototypes, we'll do a test! It's interesting that I really didn't have much trouble at all with the hooks getting all caught up in the bag, and when it did, it was very easy to correct without tearing the bag up. A barbed hook comes out of platic a lot easier than fabric, that's for sure! Also, I'm learning that there are other attributes with regard to the strength of plastic - one is thickness, and the other is hardness - you can temper very thin plastics to alter their strength almost to the point of being puncture-resistant. However, then you sacrifice lateral strength... so it's a matter of finding the best recipe. Again, thanks for the feedback!
[signature]
I wouldnt think you would need them any heavier than a zip lock freezer bag.

I currently have several rod socks right now, and I can attest that they are junk... they offer no protection to speak of. they are the original socks that came in the shipping..

the down side to the one I have right now is they are thiner than bread bags and they are open on both ends... even with rubber bands the tend to slide open in transit...
[signature]