Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High Uintas
Has anyone been up towards the Uintas lately? We usually go up near the toll booth outside Kamas. What does the snowpack look like up there?
[signature]
i'm dying to get up there myself but with the weather we've had the last two days odds are you will be needing a snowmobile read a report snow levels are only 35% of normal for the uintas this year

aquaman
[signature]
I was up there 2 weeks ago riding the snowmobile. The parking lot by the gate was snow free. The trail to the south was melting fast with some road showing. The southern exposures were free from snow. There was about 3 foot of snow at the Provo River Falls. The snow conditions may be alittle better with the new snow that fell this past few days, but it wont last long with the temperatures forecast for this week. If you plan on fishiing the river it looks good and clear with not much runoff.

MackAttack
[signature]
Excellent report mackattack, thank you for responding.
[signature]
I haven't been up this year but it seems a little early to me. I fish the high country quite often in the summer but the good spots don't open up until the middle of June or later. Since the parking lot on 150 is snow free you might get into the Notrh Fork of the Provo, take the next left past the bridge over the NF of the Provo. Follow the trail until it ends. It will end at a small island in the river, you can fish either up or down steam, look for larger pools formed from down timber. The fish aren't big but they are fun. Nymph patterens are best, or the old reliable worm on a hook with no weight works great too. When the Mountains clear of snow you can't beat Little Elk Lake for high country fishing if you don't want to pack in. #16 mosquito pattern fished just before dark is killer. Black and yellow Mepps spinner 1/32 oz for spin fishermen. Black and white tube jig tipped with a small piece of worm works well also. Little Elk is a great place to bring the family for a first high country experience, it's fairly easy to get to with a good 4 wheel drive and has some good spots to camp. The mosquitos will kill you so bring plenty of repellant. Make sure you have decent ground clearance, there is one spot that gets a little hairy but for the most part it's all class 1 or 2 road. Good Luck, and if you or anybody else needs info on the North Slope back country feel free to ask.

IFG
[#ff0000]Planning a summer backpacking trip for a few days somewhere in the Uintas to chase some grayling. We were going to wait until snow shoes were not required. Any suggestions on a good trip?[/#ff0000]

[#ff0000][/#ff0000]
[signature]
Try hiking into fish lake and others in that area. (they are in the cuberant lake area, but on a different trail). While you're there try fishing North Erickson for large brookies.
[signature]
Mountain Man I read in a book that the trail from holiday park on the weber side is private on private land is there a trail from U-150? also have you fished fish lake in that area or just some of the others I read that that fish lake has some of the best grayling fishing in the uintas is this true?

Thanks[Smile]
[signature]
I'm talking about the one from holiday. As far as I know it's on public land, but it could've changed, I don't know. I don't see how it could have. Anyways, you hike to fish lake. I didn't know there were any others. But it is considered a great grayling place. I think it empties into the weber. Try fishing below the lake in the creek for stream grayling.
[signature]
Depends on which Fish Lake your talking about. I believe the one your refering to is the one about 5 miles due south of Whitney Res, is that right? If so there are many ways in, the most fun (and hardest) is to get off 150 by Scout Lake, follow the trail around the back side of the Lake about 5 miles, all on foot or horseback. The other way to get there is come in down Weber Canyon Road out of Oakley. Stay straight until the road ends, it then turns into FR 079 (I think the number is right). Sometimes the Forest Service closes the gate, I don't know why. If the gate is closed its about 5 miles that way too but not near as steep. I don't believe there are any Grayling in there. The Fish Lake most people talk about in the Uintas is over near Spirit Lake Lodge. You can park at the lodge and hike or horseback in on the Spirit Lake trail loop of Highline Trail. You'll pass many lakes and most hold fish, the first big lake you come to is called Tamarack and it is fun to fish for Brookies and Cutts. I park at the Brunt Fork Creek trailhead and hike up through Kabell Meadows, the view is awesome and the creek is full of Brookies. There are about 20 lakes in there, most unnamed that are full of fish that have seldom seen a lure. If you need more info don't be afaid to ask, I've spent a good deal of time in that area. P.S. Quit smoking first, the air gets mighty thin up there. Oh, and say hello to my record Moose, I'll get a tag one of these days. Remember, if you go after the opening of Archery Season you can't bring a sidearm.

IFG
[Smile]Yep I'm talkin about the one south of whitney res, It does get confusing since therre are about 4 fish lakes (that I know of) in the uintas maybe even more.anyway I'll have to take a drive up that way sometime see if I can't find the trail and by the way the Lakes Of The High Uintas books says that there is a good population of grayling and a few brookies in there.
[signature]
Let me know when your going and I might tag along, the 3/4 ton Ram is itching to see some dirt, mud and rocks. It will have to wait a while since there is probably still butt deep snow up there. By the way, where did you get that book, I think I need it.
[Smile]In the back of the Utah fishing proclamationthere is an order form for them or if you don't want to pay the shipping charges you can go to the wildlife resources map and bookstore at 1594 West North Temple in Salt Lake City, Utah. there are 10 different drainage books about 1-2dollars each and it tells every lake that has fish in the uintas they are very good books I recommend them if you ever plan a trip up there, don't want to fish a fishless lake for a couple hours.
[signature]