Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another boring trip to the the berry.
Got on the water at first light and left at last light. In the morning we were catching some real nice over the slot cutts. When that spot slowed around noon I pretty much just closed my eyes, pointed to a spot across the bay and decided to go there. We immediately started catching fish again. Said the heck with the bowmount and threw out the anchor. Good decision. We continued to slay the cutts. Not as fat as they were in the morning but averaged about 20-23" Never did catch any small cutts or bows. Speaking of bows, one of the cuts we caught choked up a 9" rainbow! That was one hungry fish!!! The weather was awesome, little breeze and sunshine although a bit nippy in the morning but as soon as the sun came out I was tearing off layers. We boated 60-70+ fish. The largest ones going 25". Senkonate and my neighbor went with me, we had a blast, I've never laughed so much in my life. Even if the fishing would've been terrible the company was great. That was alot of fun Nate!
[inline "da Berry 11-3-07 0021.jpg"]
[inline "da Berry 11-3-07 0031.jpg"]
[inline "da Berry 11-3-07 0051.jpg"]
[inline "da Berry 11-3-07 0071.jpg"]
[signature]
Right on! Thanks for posting those pics so quick John.

WOW. That WAS one incredible trip. The weather was great like he said, and that number of 60-75 fish is no lie. We stopped counting. I haven't been to Strawberry in awhile, and was expecting a fun trip, but I had no idea we were in for a trip like that.

Amost all our fish were caught in 20-35 feet of water, simply dragging tube jigs along the bottom, pretty slowly. With a little of fish4fun05's secret bait attached to the hook, it was a pretty effective presentation! We didn't deviate from that presentation all day. I would even say most of the fish were caught vertical jigging right below the boat.

My right arm is sore from the day. No joke. It seemed like whenever it slowed down, John would move us a bit to a new spot, and put us back on the fish. What a great host.

My favorite part of the day was watching other fish follow the "caught" fish all the way to the boat. Before noon, and the breeze, the water was smooth as glass, and you could see at least 15 feet down into the water. One of us would catch a fish, and 2 or 3 other fish would be chasing it. We took turns casting into that little swarm of fish. WOW. It's tough to explain. Like nothing I've experienced before. I couldn't believe how aggresive they were. The followers would dart around, and with the clear water, you could see their every move. We were sight fishing many of the cutts we got in the morning. That's how I caught my biggest fish of the day. I casted behind a fish John was bringing in, the fish tailing his fish just blew up on my tube jig. Again, WOW. My poor writing skills don't begin to describe it!

Thanks for an amazing day on the water, John, that was AWESOME!

Nate
[signature]
I know what you mean about being bored tha the berry! [Wink] I was out there with fishhound.We did the same as of catching.We caught all cutts except for one cuttbow i caught. Fishhound had some big fish on but since he practicing catch and release we got to see them for a few seconds. I lost my anchor last week at yuba so i couldnt stay in one spot but it worked out for us we drift fished and it worked out good for us . Glad to see you guys got bored!![Tongue] Well i am headed out the door again to the berry this morning with the wife later!
[signature]
Wonderful fish!

Where else in America can you catch cutthroat like that in such great numbers?

I've got some friends that whine about the slot, but it is the regulations that make Strawberry the fantastic fishery it is. Of course other environmental things contribute to the fishery, but I believe it is primarily the slot limits.

When you consider the number of world class fisheries we have here in Utah I'm amazed that there are not twice as many fishermen. Can you visualize the pounding the gorge, powell and strawberry would take if the were in California?

The post and the pictures have me fired up. I'm headed to Renegade Monday morning. Thanks for the incentive.
[signature]
Most excellent! Fall fishing at da berry can be fantastic.
[signature]
Great job guys, Thanks for sharing your pictures.

AFDan52
[signature]
those are some very nice hogs. great report and pictures. thanks for sharing. [cool]
[signature]