Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Powell WOW
Headed down to Powell to fish a bass tournament this past weekend and all I can say is great....

Here is some of the run down, Thursday we left at 3:00 in the morning got there by 7:00 and was on the water by 7:15 and on our way north...

We hit a few cuts on the main cannel and boated a few small bass none over 12" we was looking for, so we kept looking we hit Cider and other canyons on our way to Whites....

In or along the Goodhope area we hit a shore line where a coyote who was trying to catch fish along the shore where we was fishing...We was having about as much luck as he was...

We did find about four spots where we did find bass over 12" but just over....

Friday we headed south for the San Juan in hopes of finding bigger bass, we hit the water at 6:00 O dark 30 we ran by GPS day brake came at 7:00 and by 7:15 you could see....

We was at the end or as far as you can go up the Juan by boat now, water was 2.5' deep we looked around and worked our way back looking for the water temps. to change they did it went from 53.2 to 58 in about 20' when we hit the 10' feet of water and we could see a wall of fish on the depth finder...

we tried top water and got a striper on the first cast and a large mouth on the next we moved out to try other spots around the shore, we could see fish busting the top all over we tried spinner baits 1/2 oz and got crappie bass striper, when we tried drop shots we got walleye, crappie,bass, striperes, blue gill, the crappie way from 12" up to 15" and the gills was up to 11" and the large mouth bass was over 2 lb...

The end of the Juan is just at the end of the great bend where it opens up, we worked our way back down catching lots of fish as we went...

The first day we ended up in tenth place and looking toward day two, the first day we had three other boats fishing at the end of the Juan with us, but day two we had 8 boats in the end....

Day one at the water temp changing point the light wind was going up the arm and had a line of floating sticks and wood and all other thing just above the temp change line and we could fish the rocks and other cover along the shore and got lots of good bass about 25 over 12", day two the wind was coming down in the cove or bay past the temp line with all the floating junk and it was so thick a 1/2 oz jig could punch through but that was all the boat had trouble getting around in it we got two good bass and then left to try other spots we ended the day with only four bass and dropped to 16 or 17 place...

The last day we boated over 30 crappie over 12" we sure wish they would have been bass, we kept 10 five each for tonight yum!!!!

Gas to run to the Juan $147.00 per day, boats in the tournament 88, and would do it tomorrol all over again .....
[signature]
Nice report Cliff, thanks for posting it. Sounds like you had a fun weekend even if you didn't place high in the tournament. I'd love to be able get down to Powell and catch some walleyes and crappie but I'm surprised they are so active this late in the year. Sounds like finding the right water temp was the key to doing good. I've never heard that coyotes will eat fish but I guess they will eat whatever they can find[crazy]. WH2
[signature]
When there is a lot of shad and the stripers are chasing them out on the banks in places you can see the coyotes waiting for them, kind of funny the coyotes don't like to get there feet wet....

I left my camera at a friends house when I pick it up later I will show the pictures...
[signature]
88 boats? Wow, that's a big tournament. What circut is that bassrods?
[signature]
Its the bullfrog open, lots of fun....

In the spring they had 98 boats I think ...

There was one boat that was behind us going up the Juan about 100 to 150 yards and hit a rock point and flipped there boat, but was lucky not to be hurt bad but the boat was in real bad shape...
[signature]
Sounds like a fun tourny Cliff. Thanks for sharing.
[signature]
I just heard earlier today that the Guy that caught Big fish in that Tournament, Is from Colorado do you know his name? He said that he caught it on a 3-1/2" Cut'r Bug.
You did pretty good for eighty boats.

James
[signature]
Not for sure what his name is I heard Pink then some one said no it was some one else ....
[signature]
B-myers and c- waber took the big fish. results are here. [url "http://www.utahbassfederation.org/tourn/07BFFallOpenResults.pdf"]http://www.utahbassfederation.org/tourn/07BFFallOpenResults.pdf[/url]
[signature]
Thanks Moose, I was just wondering their names. That roster sure is hard to read.
James
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Good report. Nice pics.[/#0000ff]
[signature]