Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Something is up.fellow duck hunters
I am attaching a link to something that is going on up north,looks to be another land grab.

these guys on this site and on are site can make a difference,BRBR,Harlod Crane,willard spur are all going to be affected if this mineral company gets what it wants.

here is the info,the attachment was deleted by the mods.
sorry mods,I forgot about the rules.

Just a reminder to whomever is concerned about losing 8000 acres of waterfowl habitat to GSL Minerals. The first meeting is tonight. The state has already given their approval to these yahoos and it still needs to get by the Army Corps of Engineers. This also impacts Harold Crane because it removes huge amounts of the area that HC birds use to roost and loaf on.

There will be three public scoping meetings with the Army Corps of Engineers.
1. Nov 7th 5-9 pm South Davis Junior High School - Bountiful
2. Nov 8th 5-9 pm Ogden Nature Center - Ogden
3. Nov 14th Airport Inn Hotel - SLC

Written comments can be sent to: Jason Gipson, 533 West 2600 South Suite 150, Bountiful, UT 84010 or jason.a.gipson@usace.army.mil

DU was represented tonight. BioWest asked me for some of the recent habitat capacity stdy info that DU has compiled on the lake over the last 3 years. As a waterfowler I am really surprised how few people really care and actually show up to meetings like the one tonight and let thier voice be heard. I hope there are more in Ogden and Salt Lake the Salt Lake meetings. The propsed area they want to cover in Bear River Bay with a Salt Evaporation pond is 8000 acres or in other words 12.5 square miles. They currently use aproximatley 38,000 acre feet of water in thier opperations and they want to expand 33,000 acres more on top of thier 45,000 existing operations. That is a 73% increase and they currently net $100 million. The GSL officials that were there gave us this info.

This is the begining of the issue, nothing is final. When the Core completes thier Impact study there will be a 60 day coment period. Here and now and at that point we as a waterfowling public need to let our voices be heard. DU will be involved and do our part to protect the vital wetlands of Bear River Bay. The problem is that the state gave thier stamp of approval for the project back in the year 2000. So GSL minerals are just following up on what the state gave them permission to do. Again I would encourage anyone interested to go to the meeting tommorow in Ogden or next week in SLC.

BFT doesn't allow links to non-affiliated forums, sorry.
[signature]
Paste and copy the post!
[signature]
I heard about this last night and it is total BS!!!! I was also told that part of the reasoning behind it was "homeland security"... BS! They are stating that the road behind the willard dike is a target for terrorists to blow up the dike. And who are they going to hurt???? Some unlucky fisherman might have to ride the wave out to Harolds. That is about it. People need to attend these meetings and put and end to this BS!!![mad][mad][mad]
[signature]
I agree Brody,
Here is some more info on this and the proposed area
I sent mine concerns this morning and let them know how this will affect the birds that migrate threw utah,and this area should be protected because the huge numbers of birds use it for roosting and loafing and staging.
US Army Corps of Engineers
Public Information on the 33,000 acre Expansion of the Evaporation Ponds.

Please send your written comments on this proposal to:

Jason Gipson, Project Manager
(public Notice SPK-2007-00121)
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Sacramento District
533 W. 2600 S. Ste. 150
Bountiful, UT. 84010

Cut and Paste this e-mail: jason.a.gipson@usace.army.mil to your mail and let them know how this will destroy this valuable resource the birds need.

Something to consider when/if sending a comment, try to include specifics such as:
1. The proposed expansion dike will further concentrate waterfowl into an area already prone to botulism outbreaks.
2. Impossible to replace this particular freshwater bay ecosystem.
3. Proposed dike will prohibit water sheeting around the mud bar which protrudes south out of the Bear River Refuge.
4. Pintails need this area for their migration (huge staging area).

Or ANYTHING else you think impacts the Environment and the COE individuals should be aware of while considering the impacts of destroying approx 20% of Bear River Bay. Please tell a friend. Send all comments prior to 12/3.
[signature]