Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ordered Fly Tying Tool Kit!
Its nothing spectacular just something to get me started. I am in college and a commuter so I have to pay for my gas so it was hard to even save up for the one I could afford. I got it from Cabela's the standard Tool Kit. [cool] I know probably not the best one in the world but it had good reviews from most people that bought one. I am so excited to get it in the mail in 3-6 days. There is the link below. I hope it works decently. I am hoping to get a better fly rod from my parents for Christmas. I just got a rod not long before the fish stopped hitting so I have only played with bluegill. I bought a $20 Shakespeare from Wal-Mart to try it out. I had fun playing with the blue gill. I am going to get a trout stamp next year and go trout fishing. If I like tying flies and and I like trout fishing I am going to invest in a much better pole the following year. I have to find a pattern to start with that will work for a beginner and that I can find the materials easily for any suggestions? Nothing fancy just something that fits the bill and something that will catch fish. Think Western PA. For the most part in my expierence with buying fishing gear I have had the best luck buying cheap stuff. It always works out for me better. I got a really nice pole for $40 my first rod with cork handle, not the fly rod, It snapped while fighting a catfish that got away too. I got a $20 Daiwa and well It is the most flexible pole I have ever had. I love it. I have landed channel catfish with it. Big ones. the biggest being 27" with the Daiwa. I used an ugly stick that my brother loaned me for my biggest one 30". I got them all from shore. I love catfish. Anyways any suggestions on first patterns? Thanks. Help me fill my box for trout season.

[url "http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20431-cat20534&id=0001059310733a&navCount=17&podId=0001059&parentId=cat20534&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=UH&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20534&hasJS=true"]http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20431-cat20534&id=0001059310733a&navCount=17&podId=0001059&parentId=cat20534&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=UH&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20534&hasJS=true[/url]
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Hi there Santaaa - and thank you for the update. From your remarks I gather that you live in western Pa. I use to live in western NY 10 miles east of Port Jervis. Sure was some good bodies of water to fly fish. Must warn you that if you truly get the bug of swatting flies there is no returning & the same holds true for fly tying. Would suggest that you look at getting a 8½ or 9' 6wt rod. It is a good general purpose rod and will handle most of the fish in your area. As far as a brand goes in today's market all of the manufacturers make a quality product. It all depends upon your budget. A good fly fishing store will usually let you dry test their demo rods. You wouldn't buy a car without getting behind the wheel, same holds true for a swatter. Good luck and let us know how you are getting along.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
welcome Santaa and thank you for the story.. your story is a mirror of mine as I have relayed to everyone over the last few years...
an
... my suggestion is simple.. dont be hesitant to ask questions here.. the people here will take the time to answer and keep it at a level that is easy to follow and understand..

...good luck in your fly fishing and tying endeavours... keep us posted of your adventures ... especially with pictures...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Yep I am from Western, PA. I love fishing. I am big into fishing for channel catfish. I make my own home made recipe for catfish bait. I need something to do over Thanksgiving break and over Christmas break. I have some questions.

1. I have read about fly patterns but they do not for the most part go step by step there is just a list of materials and a picture. Is there a step by step guide that teachs me how to tie flys? Something on the net that explains all the tools?
[signature]
[center][font "Pristina"][green][size 4][cool]Hi there Santaaa - I have sent you a PM about your request.[/size][/green][/font][/center]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Per your request, concerning a site where you might find instructions for tying, may I suggest one of my favorites.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Our own member, Tubedud, (Cheech) maintains a site with excellent tutorials, entertaining videos and photographs. If you review his tutorials, you will find detailed patterns, and tying techniques that are helpful to both beginners and experienced tiers alike.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]The site is:[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3][url "http://www.sweetflies.com/"]http://www.sweetflies.com/[/url][/size]
[size 3][/size]

[size 3][/size]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Saberfish, I hope Clark is paying you....just kidding, his flies sell themself. I was going to post that but you beat me to it.[/size][/black]
[size 3]I am also going to add, there is a book called something like Bench Side Referrence to Fly Tying. While it doesn't show you how to tie one particular fly, it does show you every type of tie. Wings, Woven, Beads, etc. A must in my oppinion.[/size]
[size 3]As far as pictures and ingrediants like in magazines. Normally and of course there might be a few that don't follow this, but normally, the ingrediants are listed in the order you put them on the hook.[/size]
[size 3]You get interested in one particular flie, post it here and lets see how many variations we can come up with....okay?[Wink][/size]
[signature]
[black][size 3]I have never met Clark (Cheech), but I am familiar with his flies. He is considered one of the most innovative and talented tiers around.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[size 3]Anyone I know that has fished his flies, has been very impressed with them. I have found some of his flies posted on Internet sites all around the country. Anyone who doesn't tie, would be well armed with a box of his creations. Hell, now I do sound like an advertisement. lol[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
Ok. I saw one in the a fly fishing magazine I bought awhile ago that I like. I will go get it from my car as that is where the magazine is. I post it in a few minutes. Thanks for all your help everyone.
[signature]
well I like that site that was suggested and I am having fun looking at it so I am side tracked. I will post it by tomorrow. The pattern I liked.
[signature]
... Saberfish.. thank you for posting that site.. since I am just starting I will have to give it a look over.. I can attest to tubedud's fly tying talents.. I bought two dozen of his flies about six months ago.. I fished a few when I was out on Elsinore with tn2.. even though I did not catch anything with them (I am willing to bet it was my lack of experience and not the flies).. they are beautiful to look at and are obviously very well made..

... FG.. what about the Orvis fly tying book you suggested I get (ORVIS FLY TYING GUIDE by TOM ROSENBAUER) .. it gives a lot of good introductory info on tying and step by step instructions on most of their patterns.. also. Scruffy Fly suggested a few books to me when he and I got together to help me learn to start tying.. maybe he can come up with the names of those books as well.. '

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
...wow .. I just glanced over the site and I am impressed.. very impressed...the step by step looks to be very thorough and easy to follow.. thank you for posting it for us...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Every pattern you try to make you will find that there is something you don't have.

You should try to select some common simple patterns to start out with.

Here are a few common basic nymph patterns.

Pheasant tail nymph
Brassie
prince nymph
hairs ear.
[signature]
...one thing I forgot to mention before is that if you get the chance to meet up with an experienced fly tier to learn the basics take advantage of it... I was able to do that with Scruffy Fly one day and it is amazing the amount of information you can learn in an afternoon of working with an experienced tyer... I will always be grateful to Scruffy Fly for making the offer to help me the way he did.. it has made my experience with tying that much more enjoyable... [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Thanks for the props on the site. Curtis Fry and I started this site a while back with visions of selling flies, tools, etc. Many of the tutorials and videos are his, so he deserves a lot of credit for the quality there as well. We have recently taken all items that were for sale off of the site, and we are going to dedicate the site to tying tutorials, pictures, videos, etc.

We are also working on our library of fly tying DVDs. So far we have a video for midges and baetis, and a video for stillwater flies.

I asked Saberfish, but I'll open it up here too. Are there patterns/techniques that you would like to see on the site? We can attempt most anything, we just won't promise that it will come out the normWink

thanks,

Cheech
[signature]
I am so new to this part of the sport any help is appreciated..

.. from my perspective Id say a video or two on basic techniques and explanations to include tools used.. material.. basic tying techniques etc... ..

.. I dont know if it is possible but if you could make videos of tying flies for a specific region.. like the west.. or southwest etc..

..you mentioned a video for still water flys.. is that available.. I may of been so concentrating on the videos available I did not see any links for dvd's...

.. again thank you for the flies you did for me.. I am hoping to get a lot more use out of them than in the past... I wonder if I can seal them in plastic food keeper bags so they dot wither away to dust before I use them.. [sly]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
We don't really have a link to the DVDs up right now. I'll talk to Curtis to see if we can get them back up.

I think this winter we are thinking about a beginner DVD. As far as the region specific thing, the midges and baetis DVD is called "flies of the Provo River." It's just hard to tie flies for an area that we aren't super familiar with.
[signature]
[cool][font "Pristina"][green][size 4]Hi there TubeDud and thank you & also Curtis Fry for your generous offer. I visited your site for the first time the other day and was quite impressed with the whole scene. Unlike many others that I have visited your is nice and clean and easy to maneuver around without getting Confused & lost. With reference to patterns & techniques that is rather hard to qualify as we have those that are about to start tying to those that have been tying for years. Perhaps some of our members new & old will provide you with some suggestions. Again thank you for the offer.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
... I kind of figured that but had to ask.. I think the flies you tied for me were more for the western region.. and I think that some of the files were suggested by other members here.. but dont quote me on that.. [Smile]

Ill be looking for that link if you put it up and definitely the dvd if you decide to make it.. keep us posted please..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I just talked to Curtis, and you can email him if you are interested in one of the tying DVDs. his email is frito1@gmail.com
[signature]