Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEW EAGLE "CUDA" SONARS
[cool]Eagle has a new "price line" of sonar systems that look to be ideal for flotation fishing. These are the Cuda 128 and 168...for 128 pixels and 168 pixels respectively. If you shop wisely (Cabelas), you can get the smaller unit for around $80 and the larger for $100...about $20 under suggested retail. Here's a link to the Eagle Electronics website:
[url "http://www.eaglegps.com/"]http://www.eaglegps.com/[/url]

I have successfully used the Eagle Fish Easy models on my craft for several years, with no complaints. They are low wattage, compared to the super units needed by bass boaters or deep water jig fishermen, but they provide everything necessary for shallow water tubin.

I plan to acquire one of the 168's within the next couple of weeks, to install and field test on my Fat Cat. I will be taking pics and writing up an evaluation. I will also make diagrams for anyone who wants to copy my installation system.

In the interim, one of our esteemed members from Utah, EmuScud, just got one of the 128's and has worked out a system for installing it on his pontoon craft. In the pics below, he did a "demo" mount on a 5 gallon plastic bucket to illustrate his creative use of an adjustable strap, to mount the display unit on top, and the transducer on the bottom.

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage1388708.jpg]
#1. Picture somewhat dark, but we are looking down on the bottom of the bucket, with the transducer on the left (bottom) and the display on the right (top)

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage1396492.jpg]
#2. A clear pic of the slim display on the Cuda 128. Note the use of a wood mounting base, secured with the adjustable strap. (Don't screw the mounting bracket directly into your tube)

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage1405006.jpg]
#3. Looks like Charlie the Tuna gave his all for this creative mounting of the transducer. Actually, according to EmuScud, the mount is on a "thick old piece of PVC". Probably a lot more durable. My only question is having the delicate transducer mounted on the bottom of the craft, where it might be subject to snagging and dragging. I still prefer my retractable PVC rod system.

Thanks for the pics, ES.
[signature]
Thanks for posting those for me. [Wink] The pics were alot darker than I expected. [Sad] The whole system is easily removed due to the clasp on the strap itself. The reason I used two pieces of plywood is that there is a bolt going up through the bottom piece, through the strap, and then secured on the top. No pointy things pointed at the tube. I then used the screws that came with the Cuda to put the receiver on the top piece. The bolt allows for side-to-side movement while the receiver is made to move vertically. I defitnally need a new system for the transducer. Soon enough . . .

I have toyed with the idea of making a "boat" out of styrofoam and installing the transducer on the bottom. That way I could tow my transducer around. The only problem with that comes with choppy water or waves. Then again, if there are major waves, I probably shouldn't be on the water in the first place.

How have the rest of you mounted your electronics????

ES
[signature]
[cool]As I suggested in my email, a floating transducer setup works fine for stationary fishing...off docks, through the ice, or while sitting motionless in a boat or tube (or 'toon). However, if you are movin' and groovin'...prospecting and bottom bouncing, the transducer will be dragged at an angle, and will not give a true straight down cone angle.

For active use, it is better to have the transducer mounted in a form that keeps it pointed straight down...whether moving around or parked and casting, or vertical jigging.

I plan to do some more experimenting with the mounting of the transducer on the new Cuda 168 I will be getting soon. Maybe between us we can come up with a new viable solution.
[signature]
[Wink][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4]ya i saw those and i wanted to get one but i havent saved enough yet but i will. i need them for the bass and perch at alimitos. arent they sorta cheap in performance? well i want one for the reasons i dont like to look for fish with a feelin[Sad][/size][/font]
[signature]
[cool]Finding fish is only part of what a sonar does for you. If you are fishing for bottom dwellers, like halibut, you won't see them on the screen anyway. The sonar helps you find concentrations of bait and let's you stay in the depth where the fish are hitting best. Even with the best unit, many of your fish will be caught without you seeing anything on the screen.

Sonar also helps you find the channels and depressions where fish like to hide out in ambush. This is especially important in bays and eatuaries. I have found long holes, only a couple of feet deeper than the main channel, that was paved with 'buts, waiting for a changing tide to serve dinner to them. Jigging a small spoon or Hammer in such cases can get you bit better than bait at times,

Even though the low priced Eagles are not ideal for bass boats or offshore fishing, they provide all you need for tubin' the shallow salt. Why spend more if you don't need to?
[signature]
[Wink][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4]ya i get your drift and thats why i want it to see the bait and holes where the fish are like butt's. well thanks for the info tubedude.. later see ya on the flip side![/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4][/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4]-chris[/size][/font]
[signature]
Look forward to hearing your review T-Dude.....the price is pretty reasonable for these new units. I don't have a sonar unit on my tube yet but am considering picking one up.
[signature]
[cool]I have had a stready procession of the low end Eagle products, which have all ticketed out around a $100. I have never worn one out, in spite of a lot heavier use and abuse than most anglers would give them. Typically, I use them for a year or two and then pick up "new and improved".

From what I have gleaned from the websites and reviews so far, the Cuda is ideal for tubing use. It has good grayline, for separating fish from the bottom. It has up to 60 degree cone angle, which is great for shallow water tubing...and I seldom fish in over twenty feet of water. I also like the idea of the temp guage built into the transducer. This is their first "low end" model that includes that. Now I can do away with my $4 swimming pool thermometer hanging off my craft.

At 800 Watts "peak to peak" power, it will not show your jigs below your craft, in real time (jig time), but it will not eat up batteries either. To run a high end super sonar you would need to carry out a heavy marine battery. I simply slip a 6.5 Amp sealed lead acid (SLA) battery in the back of my side pocket and I'm good to go...for a very long day.

They say we tend to like what we are used to. That's probably true. But I started with flashers and have tried several other pricier systems before deciding I liked the Eagle best. I will put it through its paces when I get it set up, and will post pics of the installation along with a review.

PS...once you get used to using sonar on your donut, you'll never leave home without it. On the few occasions I have had to leave my gear behind, and fish without sonar, it was like fishing blind. In the good old days I was pretty good at prospecting and bottom bouncing...and I learned a lot about fishing new waters as well as returning to good spots on known waters. But, once I could see what I thought I knew, and could eliminate unproductive water...to concentrate on higher potential water...my results and enjoyment increased dramatically.
[signature]
Why do you guys need all that new fangled equipment??

I just use my nose. haha When the water smells fishy I fish it and when the water doesnt i keep moving.

Where do u store the battery and keep it from turning u into an electric donut???

Hey tube dude when you send my spinners and or jigs send them to chris to save you time and money. Just specify whos are whos. haha

BIg and SmAll kill em all

Aaron
[signature]
[cool]So you use your nose, huh? Hope you don't fish near any sewage pipes.

A couple of good questions though. Sonar does not guarantee you will catch any more fish. The main value of sonar is to help you eliminate non productive water. You find the depths and types of bottom or structure the fish are using and keep fishing those areas. Of course, if the sonar agrees with your nose, so much the better.

The good thing about sonar is also the bad thing. It helps you find fish, but it also lets you know when you are fishing where there are fish...even if you aren't getting bit. One of my most common comments on the water is "I am seeing a lot more than I am catching." If the fish are in a negative or neutral mode...or if you just plain can't figure out the pattern to get them to hit...then you are likely to be very frustrated.

Sometimes I think I would rather not know I am being outsmarted by the fish. But then I think harder, and keep working on trying to come up with a solution. That's a big part of the enjoyment of fishing for me, is going through my mental database to figure out what it is going to take to get them to open their mouths. Having sonar provides incentive to keep changing and to fish harder when you find fish...and lets you know when to move if there are no fish. It doesn't guarantee you will catch everything you see on your screen.

About the battery. I use a small SLA (sealed lead acid) battery that does not weigh very much and only takes up a little more space than a can of soup. It does not have the liquid battery acid to worry about, so you can lay it on its side in one of your tube pockets and don't have to worry about it.

As I mentioned in the email, I have Chris's address. I'll probably finish putting a little package together in the next couple of days...and I'll tuck in a couple of BFT stickers for you. Don't stick them on your wet float tubes. Maybe on your foreheads will work.
[signature]
Hey tube i have to take 1% credit for pushing you into the direction of the cuda haha. let me know how it works out im interested in seeing the results from the tube.
[signature]
[cool]Yeah, you are pretty good at taking "credit". Me too. My motto to my creditors has always been "I'D RATHER OWE IT TO YOU THAN BEAT YOU OUT OF IT."

I expect to find the new unit on my doorstep any day now. I plan to get it put together and maybe do a shakedown cruise over the weekend. I'll shoot some pics and do an evaluation.

Your "hand-me-down" Eagle will arrive with Tube Babe when she flies up to do her "family thing". All of her sisters will be in town over that weekend. You had better alert the local authorities.
[signature]
yeah that sounds like a real red light alert. ill go give the new sonar a try on pineview. i think that it would be the most useful there. we are still debating the may trip on a cheap flight down let me know if you work would accomodate such a thing. you have me all worked up for some ocean tubin.
[signature]