Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
11-17 Scofield Tiger report w/ pics
I went to Scofield yesterday (Saturday, 11/17) with my boss and friends from work. I took my 4 year old son as well, for his first real fishing trip, and we had a blast.

Those Scofield Tigers are getting big!

My boss has a cabin at Scofield, and we stayed up there Friday night. Got up early, and caught a bunch of minnows of the east dock, with a casting net. We then headed over to the dam, and were fishing by 6:20am.

The action started right away. As soon as the sun came up, my son hooked into a great tiger. I helped reel it in, and he was stoked. I'd forgotten how beautiful those Tigers are. In my excitement to see my son getting into good fish, I didn't measure or weigh any fish during the day, but took plenty of pics.

The first one he caught, I had to help him reel it in. When he saw the gold fish flashing around in the water as we reeled it in, he got way excited, and did the rest himself.

Here's the first Tiger we caught together. Hook jaw and everthing. Gorgeous fish. And FAT.

[inline fatherson1.jpg]

After we got that one in, he didn't want anything to do with me helping him! He brought his next one in all by himself.

It was so fun standing back and watching him horse in another toad Tiger.

Here's him pulling it in himself. You can see my boss moving in with the net.

[inline reelingclose.jpg]

He was loving it now. And another fat fish.

Heres him holding the fattie in the net. He was struggling with it!

[inline heavynet.jpg]

He still didn't want to touch the fish yet. "Maybe I'll touch the fish when I'm 5" he said.

[inline fatherson2.jpg]

We caught another nice Tiger, and he'd caught three now.

[inline zackstigers.jpg]

Then he saw a crawdad on the shore, and got "bored" with the fish. We set the poles down, and spent the next few hours finding crawdads in the pools and under rocks.

He called them "crabs", and it was a blast hunting for them with him.

He thought he was pretty brave to pick them up.

[inline crawdad.jpg]

He spend the rest of the day looking for crawdads and sprinting around with the net to net my friends' fish.

He got pretty good at getting in there with the net, and scooping up the Tigers.

Here he is with one in his net.

[inline netman.jpg]

We got into some beautiful and BIG Tigers.

All were caught in the little bay in front of the dam. Most came on minnows fished on the bottom, just with weights or a full bobber. A few came on white tubes tipped with minnow, and the only rainbows (small planters) came on worms.

It was a really nice day, and that nasty Scofield wind hardly picked up at all. I fear that with the storm coming this week, that may have been the last soft water Tiger trip this year.

Here are some more pics of those sweet Tigers....

[inline bigtiger1.jpg]

[inline bigtiger3.jpg]

[inline bigtiger2.jpg]

[inline bigtigerclose.jpg]

It was a great day, and an unforgettable first fishing trip with my son. He's definetely hooked now. He won't shut up about it, and keeps asking "when are we going to catch those 'Lion fish' again?".

Good stuff.

[inline fatherson3.jpg]
[signature]
Great report Nate. Always great to get out with the yongsters. Great job on letting him do what he wanted to do to have a great time.
[signature]
Wow , those tigers are a beautiful fish. Thanks for sharing your pitures, looks like you had a great day. Good job.

AFDan52
[signature]
Those are some awesome pics! I love to see the faces on kids after they bring in a fish .Glad you guys got into those tigers they fight pretty good. How cold was it there early morning?
[signature]
Great report Nate, was there any signs of ice in the shallows? If the weather cooperates I may take the boat up there next weekend. I had no idea that the tigers were getting that big up there. The kiddo looks like he had a blast catching 'crabs'!
[signature]
Ya, it was fun to see his face. I think he's hooked!

I couldn't believe either the size of the Tigers. They were thick. The ones in my pics weren't even the biggest they've been getting up there. My boss caught a 22" one up there last week.

It wasn't to cold at all in the morning. I was shedding my heavy coat pretty quickly. However, with this storm coming in this week, I doubt those great temps will stay.

There wasn't any ice anywhere on the lake. Still to warm. That might change this week.

I bet the fishing will stay good until ice.

If you get a chance, I'd head up there. If you have a boat, it would make it way easier to move with the fish. I can only imagine how good you'd do with a finder!

Nate
[signature]
I need some good directions to get to Scofield Reservoir. Me thinks we should fish this water, any help would be appreciated.

AFDan52
[signature]
It's VERY easy to get to. Takes about an hour from Spanish Fork.

Here the Google map and directions:
[url "http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&saddr=spanish+fork,+utah&daddr=scofield+reservoir,+utah&sll=40.109325,-111.654739&sspn=0.131027,0.228996&ie=UTF8&z=10&om=1"]http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&saddr=spanish+fork,+utah&daddr=scofield+reservoir,+utah&sll=40.109325,-111.654739&sspn=0.131027,0.228996&ie=UTF8&z=10&om=1[/url]

To get to the dam, where we shore-fished, just keep following the main road around the lake until you get to the dam. Can't miss it. Right before and after the dam, there are plenty of places to pull off and park.

Nate
[signature]
Great report! Those tigers sure have put on the feed bag this year!
[signature]
There is no better feeling than watching your kids get excited as they reel in a fish. I still remember the look on my daughter's face as she reeled in her first fish ever on the hard deck at Lost Creek. The size of the fish didn't matter. Her eyes were wide open and the Smile on her face was priceless. I remember my son out fishing us all at fish lake catching tiny perch not worth keeping. He kept them anyway. He was so excited! My other two small daughters enjoy trolling from teh canoe on Trial lake or Smith & MOrehouse or some other beautiful spot. It's not so much the fish (although a nice big fish or a good fight makes the story a little funner) as it is the memories. Reading your post brought a great big Smile to my face and a rush of great memories with the family wetting a hook. Thanks for the report.
[signature]
Super pics and story! Now remember, when he turns 5, you better hold him to it [Wink]
[signature]