Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Muskie frustrations
Spent quite a few hours fishing Muskie over the weekend up at Pineview. Had a large number of fish follow right up to the bank and then head out again. Only one take all day and probably saw 20 follow all the way up to shore. I tried slowing it down, speeding it up, moving it with slight jerks, any of the tricks I could think of and nothing seemed effective. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I threw everything in the box at them and it didn't make a whole lot of diffence. Some had more follows than others but none seemed to trigger the strike. Should I be putting sent or meat on these?

tightline
[signature]
well first you did good to get them to even look. what I do "and it works most of the time" is to have a pole setup with a big tube jig,slug-go or something that you can fish slow. and just as soon as the fish turns to go I'll pick up the jig and throw it to him and that all it takes. most of the time when a fish just follows they aren't look to eat something they are doing it because thats what the do (kind of like practise for them) back in the midwest you would have call all those fish as "got them"
[signature]
forgot to ask any crappies?
[signature]
I will have to try the two rig thing. I did not see any crappie on beds. I did catch one while trying to catch a perch to use the tail on the end of my lure for the muskies. I thought it might improve my catch rate. I ended up with one nice Crappie and no perch. Actually tried for maybe another 10 min. for some more Crappie but then went back to being frustrated with the Muskie.

Tightline
[signature]
well you just made it hard for me I was thinking of going to willard on friday but I do love my muskie and if there starting to move then I want to get after them, have to talk my friend in to it that I'm going with. so thanks for getting my blood going.
[signature]
[font "Technical"][#0000a0][size 3]I read an article on muskie fishing and the guy that wrote it always ended his retrieve by running his lure in a figure eight at the side of the boat especially if he had noticed a follow. If they stick around he would continue to figure eight until they either leave or hit. He said that the erratic pattern will trigger a strike. I don't think this would be effective from shore, but it makes sense from a boat.[/size][/#0000a0][/font]
[signature]
Spent five hours on pineview today. Walked a mile of shoreline and did not get one follow or one bite for crappie. Nice excersize but would have been nice to actually get a stinking bite. Pineview seems to have my number i tried everything and just nothing gonig on. I thought with the sunny conditinso today and a few degrees warmer water temps might get the crappie goin a bit.

I would say tightline with twenty follows you were doing something right. I spent all last fall fishing for muskies and had one follow the whole year.
[signature]
Xman,

I don't know if that is encouraging or not. I was pretty frustrated by the time I left. I definitely will spend much more time on them though. The majority of the time I was out there it was snowing like crazy. Maybe that had something to do with it. I don't claim to know anything about these critters yet. I just know that I will figure them out some what by the end of this year. Maybe it would help if I was in my pontoon boat so then I could have them follow it a little longer instead of running them right into the shore.

tightline
[signature]
that sounds great but it is illegal to use any live bait over 1" in any direction.

tightline
[signature]
Here is the line out of the proclamation that TL is referring to.

Pineview Reservoir (Weber County) [ul] [li]Unlawful to use whole fish or amphibians, including water dogs, for bait. Cut bait must not be larger than one inch in any dimension and no more than one piece per hook. [li]Minimum bass size is 15 inches. [li]Tiger muskie limit: 1; all tiger muskies less than 40 inches must be immediately released. [li]Black crappie limit: 20 [li]Yellow perch limit: 50 [li]CLOSED inside buoys by spillway near the dam.[/li][/ul]

Here is the link to Wildlife Services Provisions for Specific Waters Site just so everyone can keep up on current regs.

[url "http://www.wildlife.utah.gov/proclamations/2003_fishing/provisions.html"]http://www.wildlife.utah.gov/proclamations/2003_fishing/provisions.html[/url]

Hope it helps.
[signature]
Welcome to the board George! Thanks for the report on Pineview. That puts you one Muskie up on me.

Take a minute to get registered. There are a lot of benefits to becoming a member, and as you can see, there is a lot of information out here for almost every water source in the state and beyond. Great bunch of folks to talk to also. Lots of fun ahead. Hope to see you on the water.
[signature]