Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Birch Creek question
I tagged along with my son-in-law, Scott last week to the Lone Pine area on Highway 28 west of Dubois to help tend camp while he hunted elk. Since I didn't have an elk tag I took the fishing pole and tried my luck in Birch Creek there. I tried quite a few spots and only caught two dinky 6 inch rainbows. Does it get fished out easily, and or does the Fish and Game plant many fish there? The old guy at the cafe there said most of the fish migrate up the creek to the springs where the water is warmer. Any ideas? Acey
[signature]
Did you fish above Lone Pine? If you cross the fence styles above lone pine the fly fishing is usually very good. The campground fishing is dependent on the stocking. I always miss the stocking truck but have always done well with royal wolfs and renegades above lone pine. None of the fish are very big. If you catch a 12" you are doing well.

Windriver
[signature]
I fished in the lower campground area south of Lone Pine in the morning trying different spots all the way down to the pond and only caught the one fish. Later that day I tried several miles above Lone Pine below where the springs come out and caught one more on a gold bead head nymph. I was going to more further up towards the spring area, but a snow squall moved in and with the wind blowing it about froze my buns, so I said adios and headed back to the trailer and warmth. The one area right north of Lone Pine was posted no trespassing, so I didn't dare try to fish in there. If I had tried fishing the next day instead of heading for home I would have explored the spring area more with the flies. Acey
[signature]