Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
STEEL?
What happened to the steelhead? 2 weeks ago we were catching them at the Grand. Now nothing anywhere and very few good reports from any one. Wanting to go to Tippy but there is nothing there either. Boy did the weather really screw this year steelhead run.
[signature]
ya them suckers went back down river too. they will be back this week end.
[signature]
THE SUCKERS ARE BACK IN BUT IT'S MAKING THE STEEL DIFICULT . THE WEEKEND SEEMS PROMISING BUT I WOULD BET MY LAST BUCK IT WILL BE ELBO TO ELBO . I'M THINKING TUESDAY WOULD BE YOUR BEST BET FOR A CASE OF THE HOOKIE FROM WORK FLU . I'VE KNOW OF A COUPLE ON LINE FISH COUNTERS THAT ARE STARTING TO CLIMB IN THE LAST TWO DAYS ( MY LITTLE SECRET ). AS YOU KNOW FRESH CROME IS COMING IN AND THE EGGS ARE TIGHT , ANOTHER WEEK FOR THE GOOD RUN TO BEGIN ON THE P.M.
[signature]
THERE ALREADY COMING DAVE ! I BET THERE TRYING TO GET A GOOD SPOT . LOOKING AT THEM IN THE RIVER REMINDS ME OF THE TRAFIC JAMS YOU GUYS GET DOWN THERE AROUND 3 O'CLOCK .
[signature]
Watching the weather and flow graphs make me think that the next batch of steel will start to run. This weekend we are heading over to the grand to try are luck at the qurry hole and the cuffer. If its elbow to elbow we will try the rouge up at rockford dam.
[signature]
good luck,

Dont forget your bigfish sticker and your camera.
last thing i knew on the rouge was that the lower end was iced up . check on the d.n.r. site for fishing reports , or the steelheaders page for more info and flow conditions . i will try to get a report on tonight . i have a walleye meeting tonight and 5 fishing appointments this weekend , 2 on the au sable , 1 on the augres , and two on the rifle .

work , work , work . never time to play , gotta love it !
[signature]
THE Au S able bit the big one today , i first went to the dam , 40+ guys there one fish hooked in three hours .

i then went to the pierhead . the weather man said temps in the low 50's , i think he ment 50 below . the winds were n. n.e. at 15-25 mph. off the lake , the water was choppy , and the thing was coverd in ice still . beleve me , i went dressed like charley brown in the winter , covered in layers upon layers and that wind cut right thru ! i hooked a small male ( brown ) around 5lbs. and released him . tried the product testers hooks out on a tight line . i wasn't impressed with the outcome . way to large for our fish .

well about 2pm i started my way back up river hitting every hole i could find , zip , zero , nadda . the water was clowdey and full of small debris . i stopped above the dam and talked to some guys out there ice fishing , still 1-3 feet of ice on the pond . man this spring is screwed up !
[signature]
check this out , tuesday 80 degree weather , wensday snow . skip the hookie day .
[signature]
A CONTACT I KNOW SAYS THERE NOT PUTTING THE LAMPREY TRAPS OUT FOR ANOTHER TWO WEEKS ON THE EAST SIDE . I GUESS IT'S TIME TO GET READY FOR SOME WALLEYE FOR ME .
[signature]
trost was saying they are hooking in to them on the bay there in towas this week at night
[signature]
thats really good news , that means the smelt will be pushed into the shoreline ! the guys up here are really gonna love hearing that ! there into smelt dipping bigtime !
[signature]
Have you heard anything this week about the AuSable?
I have a buddy heading up this weekend and for the following week to go turkey hunting and was wondering if he should bring his noodle rod.(steel) DO you know of any good spots to where to send him to?
[signature]
well the lamprey traps were put up before friday , which makes me think the d.n.r. expects the run to finally start .

i was there saturday , there were about 40 guys at the dam and only two small ones taken at daylight , then it shutdown , no bumps or hits at all for the rest of the day . you could see walleye in the water . there was nothing taken at the pierhead sunday , most of the guys i talked to had been there since daylight .

we have had some rain , and the temps are up , there was only a thin layer of ice on the pond that should be gone by now .

i am guessing yes to taking the rod , for them to put the traps out means the fish count thru the weir has been increasing , the rains and rising temps are good but not perfect .

the whirlpool boatlaunch east of the dam is an excelent spot ( theres a few deep holes there ), the boat launch just past the dam a couple hundred yards is fantastic , but full of logs .great habitat ! waders will be a must have item ! at the dam itself will probably be crowded , theres going to be a lot of impatient guys there .

a lot of guys launch at whirlpool and head down river , thats going to spook the fish bad . every spot to the west should do good .

tell your buddy that the turkeys usually head to the roads between 9 and 10 in the mournings to get gravel for there digestion . they will keep to the roads if it is raining or drisiling , they hate walking in wet grass .

turkeys will paralell a road between ten and fourtey feet untill they cross . they like flat open areas to walk thru and hit the highest hills with trees for roosting . if he spooks one up into a pine , he might as well give up , he'll never find it ! casually walking will not spook a turkey , but stalking and sudden stopping will alarm them . if they are spooked they will stand right up against a tree and not move a flintch for hours . they will also travel deer trails , less for them to brush up against .

one mistake a lot of guys do is to find a rotted tree near a clearing to hide in , this is the spot a where turkey goes to eat fresh bugs that are emerging , instead find a small clump of brush or a pine to hide in near the rotting tree .

if your bud gets one , have him save a few feathers for dave's fly tieing . he'll appreatiate that !
[signature]
Thanks for all the info. I have a bunch of feathers for myself. Next time I see Dave I'll give him some. My buddy just got his computer hooked up so hopefully he will join the rest of us. Having a hard time this week on deciding on what to do? Trout at the huron or steel at the PM or Tippy. What to do??????[:/]
[signature]