Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jig Fishing Trout
I know that some of you fish for trout with jigs and I was looking for some pointers. I enjoy jig fishing for bass and have caught the occasional trout but haven't really been able to figure out how to target trout with jigs. What is generally the best retrieve method with jigs for trout? What is usually a good size and color? Thanks for any help.

Hoosier
[signature]
Hoosier, here is a disscussion on that very subject. Hope it helps.

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=34764;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=34764;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread[/url]
[signature]
[font "Technical"][size 3][#0000a0]Send an e-mail to Tube Dude, he has a great write up that he will send you. It is a long article, but it is full of very useful information on many uses and techniques for jigs. You will think of jigs differently after reading it. Very useful.[/#0000a0] [/size][/font]
[signature]
I've fished quite a bit for trout with jigs. I always liked 1/8 oz jigs in dark colors. I prefer plastic bass jigs over maribou, but I have friends that swear by the maribou. The trick is to keep the jig moving. With bass you drop and hop. With trout, just keep it swimming and pop it gently from time to time. In a lake, you do a lot more reeling than in moving water. I like to keep it just off the bottom. In rivers, you don't have to reel much at all, just pop it and let it go with the current. It works best for brook trout and browns.

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]
[cool]Hey, Hoosier. Whassup? Wanna get jiggy wit it, huh? Good move. If I was limited to using one kind of lure, for all species of fish, jigs would be my first choice.

Of course, jigging is a generic term. There are a wide range of different kinds of jigs and materials that fit in this broad classification. Most common are the plastic tubes, twisters, grubs and fishy shapes. Also effective are the "dressed" jigs, adorned with a kaliedoscope of colored materials...natural and synthetic...to represent everything from acquatic insects to crawdads to small fish. Non-plastic jigs can include adornments of everything from feathers to hair to artificial hair and fibers. Some of my favorite lure decorations come from hobby and craft shops.

About the only common denominator in jigs is that most of them feature a lead head poured on a special jig hook. They can be painted or unpainted, depending on how you will be fishing them and how creative you want to be. I personally take great pains to paint my jig heads with colors that match the jigs I will be using...many including fancy glitter finishes, and most with eyes. There are dozens of different shapes of jig heads and each has a particular action (or lack of) that makes it best suited for different kinds of fishing.

That brings up a major point. Merely buying and casting jigs is not jig fishing. Fishing effectively with jigs is a complete system by itself. There are so many waters, so many species and so many different fishing conditions to be considered before even tying on a jig, that it can be equally as complicated as "matching the hatch" with fly fishing. And, there are many similar elements...not the least of which is first determining what you want to catch and what you are going to have to represent in order to fool your quarry.

Without trying to cover all aspects of jig fishing, let's assume you are merely wanting to work some of your favorite trout streams and lakes...for trout and/or some of the local warm water species. A good "starter kit" would be a few mini-tubes and twisters (plastics) in sizes from 1 1/2" to 3". They will need jig heads from 1/32 oz. (size 6 hooks) to 1/4 oz. (size 1 or 1/0 hooks). For most trouting, smaller and lighter is better. For deeper water or faster currents, adjust the size heads to allow you to work as deep as you have to work to reach the fish. Ice fishing or vertical presentations from a boat or float tube are best with small jigs and light lines.

Colors are a matter of several factors...water temp and clarity, primary food base of the fish being targeted, light levels, etc. The same principals hold true as when choosing flies or spinners or other lures. Pick light colors for bright sunny days...whites, silvers, clear sparkle, smoke sparkle or yellow. On darker days, or during low light or murky water conditions, go for colors which show up best...hot pink, chartreuse, black, purple, etc. I like several of the two tone mini tubes. Blue with clear sparkle is a favorite for bright conditions. Black with a chartreuse tail is great for cold or murky water or for low light conditions. Wherever there are lots of aquatic insects or crawdads, bring out the shades of browns, greys and greens. A "motor oil" color with red flecks can be deadly in crawdad country...for both trout and bass.

The method of presentation is probably more important than anything. You can cast and retrieve with no additional action and still get bit. You can let a jig just tumble down the current and still catch fish. You can hang a jig over the side of a boat or tube, without any extra jigging motion, and some fish will still swim up and take a bite. BUT, if you can practice and learn some refined swimming, jigging, "shivvering" and lifting actions, you will fool fish right out of their scales on a regular basis. That stuff takes some good on the water instruction, from someone who has practiced a lot. Then, you have to practice a lot...the right way. Don't be afraid to experiment. Sometimes the fish want a jig fished one way, and they they change on a moment's notice and won't hit it unless it is presented entirely differently.

That's what's fun about fishing in general, and jigging in particular. It is never the same on two consecutive trips...if you want to catch fish. I am often surprised at seeing anglers fishing the same place, the same way, trip after trip, every month of the year. Once or twice a year they hit it right and catch a few fish (and thereafter qualify as experts). The rest of the year "The fish ain't hittin"..."The moon is wrong"..."Too many water skiers" or a lot of other excuses.

Learning to fish jigs efficiently will make you a better overall fisherman. You really need to concentrate on the environment and what is going on...both above and below the water. You have to learn more about basic fish biology and what they eat...and how they want it served. Then, you have to balance your tackle and hone your casting and retrieving skills to be able to bring it all together. Then, everytime you start to get smug and think you got a handle on it, the fish will find some way to humble you again. Love it.

As PH mentioned, I have about 280 KB worth of words on jig fishing. Email me if you would like a copy at [url "mailto:pscouten@qwest.net"]pscouten@qwest.net[/url]
[signature]
[cool]A couple of specific recommendations for Strawberry. First, jigging is better from a 'toon or tube than from shore or from a boat. Early and late in the year, there are some big boys cruising the shallows, chasing minnows and 'dads. A flotation craft lets you move into easy casting range without spooking the fish. Cast inshore and then either swim the jig slowly (no action on the rod tip) just above bottom...or at mid depth...whatever it takes. If the swimming doesn't work, try bottom hopping a dark colored jig, to imitate a fleeing crawdad.

Use whites or golds to simulate minnows. Use black, brown or olive to imitate "bugs". This is where marabou jigs will often outproduce plastics. The wispy feathers really puff and wiggle when fished slowly in cold water.

If you have sonar on your craft, and can find fish near the bottom in deeper water, send a jig straight down and vertical jig, just like you were ice fishing. Use the same colors and the same presentations.

Not that familiar with Scofield, but I'm betting the same tactics would work.
[signature]
Strawberry is a great place to jig fish. Last year was one of the most productive years I have had jig fishing up there. I have always used a purple glitter jig with a little crawdad sauce on it with great success.
[signature]