Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DWR Northern Region fishing report
[size 1]BEAR LAKE: The Bonneville whitefish run is just beginning, but it is definitely "ON". Surface water temperature at Bear Lake is 42°! The ramps at Cisco Beach and the Bear Lake State Park Marina are the only places available for launching boats. The Bonneville whitefish spawn over rocky areas along the shoreline in three to 15 feet of water. We caught whitefish off the Utah State Park marina and a friend of mine caught fish off the North Eden delta. The fish are averaging about one or two pounds, but can grow to upwards of three pounds. The fishing should continue to be red hot for the next two solid weeks and then begin tapering off just before Christmas. Use 1/16- to 1/8-ounce jigs. Twister tails, marabou or small tube jigs all work well. You can also try casting small spinners in the #0-1 sizes as well as small spoons. Try to let your lure run close to the bottom or if you are jigging work the lure right on the bottom. The whitefish can hit hard, but often it is a very subtle hit. If you are not catching fish or snagging up on the rocks, then chances are you are not fishing close enough to the bottom. You can also try tipping your jigs or lures with a small piece of worm, but it is not really necessary during the height of the run.

Fishing for both cutthroat trout and lake trout remains good. Anglers are having the best success by jigging with tube jigs tipped with cisco in anywhere from 30 to 60 feet of water. Good spots to try are off the east side at 1st and 2nd Points and off the west side at the rockpile off Ideal Beach Resort and off the new rockpiles just north of the marina. You may also consider trolling with rapala-type lures on downriggers in the same areas as mentioned above.<br />
For real-time weather (wind speed, water temp, air temp, lake elevation) visit BearLakeWatch.com. Remember, a Utah license is valid on the Idaho side of Bear Lake, but you may not use a second pole when fishing on the Idaho side of the lake. Idaho license holders are only able to use one fishing pole on either side of the lake this year. For those interested the GPS coordinates for the new rockpiles using WGS84 datum going from south to north are: N 41° 58.097 min., W 111° 23.682 min.; N 41° 58.187 min., W 111° 23.728 min.; N 41° 58.292 min., W 111° 23.765 min.; N 41° 58.418 min., W 111° 23.798 min. - By Scott Tolentino<br /> [/size]
[size 1]
PINEVIEW RESERVOIR: I spent a couple of hours on Pineview on Friday, Saturday and Sunday; not much to show for it except raccoon eyes. Surface water temps dropped from 44° to 41° F over the course of that time, however. The same couple of boats were still working over the same areas in the narrows, presumably getting crappie or smallmouth (when asked, they indicated smallmouth, but we know all fishermen are liars). The water is still rising and the ramp is in good condition. Docks are tethered to shore, but it's quite a jump to get to them, so some form of waterproof boot is advised. I did spend about an hour fishing for crappies and perch, and managed to get two and seven, respectively. I was not in the same areas as the guys fishing "smallmouth." Nothing to brag about size wise, but I think if you find them, catching won't be that much of a problem. Small jigging spoons worked best. The perch are particularly eager biters if you get on them; most were caught in about a 10-minute stretch. I would estimate another couple of weeks until ice cover prevents boating (or launching anyway). - By Sorno Sorenson, DWR Habitat Biologist [/size]
[signature]